DroidMod and Overclocking/SetCPU

Discussion in 'Droid Mod' started by pudah, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pudah

pudah New Member

What is the default max/min on DroidMod if I dont use SetCPU to modify it? What about the max threshold, etc?

I was playing with SetCPU and I thought I'd have more flexibility in choosing speeds. It jumps from 800mhz to 1000mhz and I can't fine tune it. Is this normal? I also thought you could set the lower end down further than 250, but I can't.

On that same note, I am lost in SetCPU. I get the universal min/max, but what are the other settings on the default page? Do I need it to start on boot and exclude it from a task killer? What is that threshold thing in the profiles area? Should I bother setting up profiles? What settings have you guys found to work well for this Mod? What about those technical advanced settings?
  2. Stretch2m

Stretch2m New Member

Yes you want it to start at boot, unless you don't intend to always have it running.

The governor setting: if you want your clock speed to vary between the specified min/max, set this to "ondemand". I know that "performance" keeps it pegged at the max, but I don't know what the other two are for. I use ondemand.

I use the Profiles, so that my speed range can vary depending on the state of the phone:

* charging: 1200max, 800min, ondemand
    * sleep: 600max, 250min, ondemand
    * power: < 30%, 800max, 250min, ondemand
    * failsafe: battery > 50C, 800max, 250min, ondemand

I also recommend running AutoKiller or some other similar root memory optimizer, rather than a task killer with an ignore list. With AutoKiller I don't need to maintain an ignore list and my phone's memory is still kept in check automatically.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Definitely get rid of task killer in favor of AutoMemory (I think that's the right name, not Auto Killer). I don't have my Droid available at the moment so I'm not certain. It will have a fish as an icon.

Task Killers in general despite what Verizon may have told you are not necessary. Auto Memory, works differently it "assists" Droids own already capable method of shutting down tasks. I found that it saved battery too. Overclocking will eat up your battery faster.
  4. Stretch2m

Stretch2m New Member

Auto Memory Manager (the one with the fish icon) is the same type of app as AutoKiller -- which is indeed the correct name for the app I'm referring to! :)
  5. pudah

pudah New Member

I got Auto Memory. What settings seem to work? I have it on Mild right now. I am keeping ATK. I don't use it often, but sometimes it's easier to use the widget to kill a music player or something rather than going back into the app (if it's running in the background) and killing it.

My question now is, should I exlude both Auto Memory and SetCPU on ATK? When I do a fresh boot they arent showing as running in the apps list (not sure if this is good for SetCPU... is it running/not showing or not running). When I open them to change settings they show in the ATK list. I can leave them as is and kill the apps every time I use ATK (1x per day, maybe) and hope that they're still doing their job, or exlude them and leave those apps running constantly. Any thoughts?
  6. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Seems way high for me, especially the charging. Holy Cow!!!! No need for 1.2 ghz on charging? 600, 250 for that. same for sleep.....
  7. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

the only profiles you need are charging and failsafe which should be the lowest, ie 600/250 as stated by huskar. Because when its in sleep it is going to be on the low side; and at night time (or when you are sleep) you have it on the charger. 1200 at charging is a good way to burn up your processor.
  8. pudah

pudah New Member

I now have:

charging at 600/250/ondemand
    sleep at 250/250/conservative
    Power <20% at 800/250/on demand
    Failsafe >49.9C at 600/250/cnservative

Main at 1000/250/ondemand

Do these seem good? If I have the main on 250 min will that slow it down, or will it allow me to save battery by having the lowest low when power isnt needed seeing as it's set to "on demand". Would I notice any performance or batter differences bumping up the minimum from 250 or setting the governor to something else?
  9. sdouglashceng

sdouglashceng New Member

Man, I'm confused. When I open SetCPU my max is 600 and my min is 250. How do I get a max that is higher than 600??? See the attached pic. This is what SetCPU is showing me, and I cannot figure out how to set a speed higher than 600. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

10. pudah

pudah New Member

The kernel you are using for your ROM has it limited to 600 as a max.
  11. imabie09

imabie09 New Member

I've read elsewhere that with DroidMod 1.0 as long as you set it to find recommended speeds, you can overclock over the 600mhz...

I'm in the same boat as the OP though.
  12. pierced_droid

pierced_droid New Member

Click Menu>Device Selection>

then choose auto Detect. I would try that :)
  13. sdouglashceng

sdouglashceng New Member

The kernel you are using for your ROM has it limited to 600 as a max.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I eventually figured it out. When you open the app it asks you to select the type of device you are using. I've been clicking on the Motorola Droid button. Eventually I clicked on the first button that says automatically detect device speeds, or something like that. Now I have the option to overclock to 1.2 gHz. I've got the max set to 800 now, and the difference is HUGE. Love this app.
  14. jeralmac

jeralmac New Member

I'm having the same problem but when I go to AutoDetect, it still limits me to the Max of 600. Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing? I've tried numerous things and have rebooted a bunch of times and still maxes out at 600. I'm running Pete's BB v0.9 on my Moto Droid.
  15. jeralmac

jeralmac New Member

Nevermind, I've discovered that I never downloaded an updated kernel to allow overclocking, assumed it was a part of BB ROM. On Matt's post on how to obtain AdamZ's 1.2 Ghz kernel, I found that the link is dead. Anyone know where I can find it? I've searched around and all I can find is a smoked glass ROM. I'm just looking to change the kernel in order to overclock.
  16. arsenic1234

arsenic1234 New Member

17. jeralmac

jeralmac New Member

Thanks, very much appreciated!