1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

DroidLock -- protect your Android device!

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by droidmate, Jun 18, 2011.

1. droidmate

droidmate New Member

DroidLock -- protect your Android device! (update: v1.3.0)

DroidLock is an application for Android 2.1 and later devices that allows you to control access to any installed application. This is useful in situations where you may wish to allow another person to use your Android device but restrict access to personal information, such as contacts or e-mail. DroidLock also acts as a "last line of defense" for your Android device in the event that it is lost or stolen.

DroidLock offers a simple interface that allows you to easily select which apps on your Android device need protection. Just set your password, select your apps, and DroidLock does the rest! There's even a home screen widget so you can easily turn protection on and off.

Please visit Droidmate at Droidmate : Droidmate Home for more information or visit the Android Market to download!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Free version: [​IMG]

Paid version: [​IMG]
  2. droidmate

droidmate New Member

3. droidmate

droidmate New Member

4. droidmate

droidmate New Member

DroidLock 1.2.1 released!

Version 1.2.1 has been released. This version fixes a bug when GMail is protected. Now, you can change folders without being prompted to unlock GMail again.

Get DroidLock today: https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Droidmate
  5. droidmate

droidmate New Member

6. michaelc

michaelc New Member

question about droidlock. I'm new to it and it seems to do exactly what i was looking for. The question is, I have it set to lock my email and gmail,which it does perfectly. The problem is, when i get a new email and it shows up in the status bar on top, you can access it by pulling down the status bar and pushing the notice and it wont ask for the password. Only when i try to access it from the unlocked phone and push the desktop icon, will it ask for passcode. Therefore, if the phone is unlocked and someone else is using it, and an email comes in on the notice bar, they can just pull it down and access the mail without a code. Is there a setting to change this? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  7. droidmate

droidmate New Member

Hi folks,

We've already sent an email to "michaelc", but for the benefit of others reading this thread, here's our reply:

The problem with GMail is that notifications use a different entry point into the application than starting the application via the launcher does. So we're going to make this automatic for the next update, but here's what you can do in the meantime:

Start the main DroidLock application and go to Preferences > Protection Method and check "Interactive selection". This will prompt you to enable protection for any unprotected application that's started. Then, open GMail via the notification bar (you may have to send yourself a quick email to make it appear again). You will be asked if you want to enable protection; choose "yes". Then, go back to Preferences > Protection Method and uncheck "Interactive selection" (you can keep it selected if you wish, but normally you would only use this option to protect an application that can't be accessed via the launcher).

You should see that accessing GMail via the notification bar is protected.
  8. droidmate

droidmate New Member

DroidLock 1.3.0 released!

DroidLock 1.3.0 has been released. This is a major release which adds new features and fixes several bugs:

* Added landscape orientation for unlock and password change screens.
    * Added multiple selection when selecting applications.
    * Automatically protects GMail notifications when GMail is protected.
    * Fixed a bug on 2.1 devices where the unlock screen may crash in some circumstances.
    * Fixed a bug where protection is not re-enabled if the "re-lock after" feature is used and the devices is rebooted before time expires.

Get DroidLock today: https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Droidmate
  9. tattedupboy

tattedupboy New Member

Am I missing something? I installed the app and chose the apps I wanted to restrict access to, but I'm still able to access them without being prompted for a password. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  10. droidmate

droidmate New Member

Hi,

If you check the DroidLock preferences, do you see that "Enable protection" is checked? If so, please email support@droidmate.com so we can investigate further.

Thanks,

Droidmate Support
  11. tattedupboy

tattedupboy New Member

Yes, that option is definitely checked. Even after rebooting and making sure it was checked again and making sure I had apps protected, I'm still not getting prompted for a password to access them. Should I just give it some time to let the settings kick in?

12. tattedupboy

tattedupboy New Member

OK, so my first issue has been fixed. Now I've noticed that text messages (I use Go SMS Pro) and non-GMail email notifications are still accessible via the pull-down notification bar despite Go SMS and K-9 Email being protected apps. Is there a fix for this?

13. droidmate

droidmate New Member

Yes, those can be protected as well. Reference a post I made earlier:

Start the main DroidLock application and go to Preferences > Protection Method and check "Interactive selection". This will prompt you to enable protection for any unprotected application that's started. Then, open GMail via the notification bar (you may have to send yourself a quick email to make it appear again). You will be asked if you want to enable protection; choose "yes". Then, go back to Preferences > Protection Method and uncheck "Interactive selection" (you can keep it selected if you wish, but normally you would only use this option to protect an application that can't be accessed via the launcher).

The "interactive selection" feature is what you want to use to handle these cases since notifications and the like aren't actually launchable applications and therefore you can't access them directly from the "add applications" portion of DroidLock. We will update DroidLock to automatically protect the notifications when you protect the application, just let us know which ones you need.

Thanks,

Droidmate Support
  14. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

I'm having the same problem as previous poster, the lock screen doesnt show up at all for chosen apps. And i'm sure i have lock enabled. This is using a droid bionic
  15. droidmate

droidmate New Member

Hi,

I spoke with the other poster via email, and the problem is that he was using a custom ROM which disabled logging. Without logging, DroidLock, or any other lock app for that matter, cannot work. From my understanding, I believe you have to edit /data/local.prop and remove any setting that disables logging. Unfortunately, I don't know what that setting would be. Could you try contacting tattedupboy to see what he did?

Thanks,

Droidmate Support
  16. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

Here's what i just figured out. I have to manually start DroidLock, then the locking will work. It appears whatever service you're using to do the launch monitoring doesnt automatically run when the phone boots. I'm running the factory rom, just rooted. I can actually set up DroidLock so it Tasker automatically launches it at boot, but Android kills it after some time of inactivity, requiring me to open it again to get the locking working again.
  17. droidmate

droidmate New Member

That seems very odd. DroidLock actually uses a broadcast receiver that is notified when the phone boots, and then the service is started. If you have DroidLock notifications enabled (which is the case by default), you should see a DroidLock notification (either "protection enabled" or "protection disabled") as the phone boots. That will let you know that the service is started. That being said, there could be task management software killing DroidLock at boot or after some period of time. Have you whitelisted DroidLock in all your task killing software (i.e., told that software to ignore DroidLock)?

This is definitely the first I've heard of something like this, so I'd be interested in investigating further. If you don't mind spending some time collecting logs, running custom versions of DroidLock, and going back and forth, email support@droidmate.com and we can talk further. I can give you a free copy of DroidLock for your troubles.

Thanks,

Droidmate Support
  18. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

Thank you for the offer, but as a fellow software developer, you deserve to be paid for the work you do, and i'll gladly buy the full version once i figure out whats going on.. I'll conduct some more tests and will email you with some specifics. Thanks for your work.
Search tags for this page

android app locks gmail on device