DroidForums.net & Ultimate Droid ROMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
the whole fiasco of BlackBerry Storm ownership *LOL*

Please don't remind me of that....I have 2 Storms sitting here collecting dust....

Man, you need to sell those things, stat. Might as well rid yourself of bad memories. I ended up selling mine, along with a Pearl Flip; for $100 to a friend (Storm for him, Flip for his wife) - To be honest, I think his wife got the better end of the deal.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Please don't remind me of that....I have 2 Storms sitting here collecting dust....

Man, you need to sell those things, stat. Might as well rid yourself of bad memories. I ended up selling mine, along with a Pearl Flip; for $100 to a friend (Storm for him, Flip for his wife) - To be honest, I think his wife got the better end of the deal.

Nice to see you here dave........I also remember the BB storm days

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When I got my Droid in November, I quickly put my Storm, 2 desk chargers and threw in a 16GB card in the deal and got $188 on eBay for them. The lady who got my Storm flashed it to Cricket and loved it. Don't know what Storm's are selling for now but probably about what you got for yours and the Flip.

MrKleen

Reaction score
funny how some people can't see the difference in choosing to void a warranty... which is in no ways unethical or shows lack of integrity with putting your name on somebody else's work.... apples to apples my friend.
The warranty voiding shows an act of defiance against the rules set forth for the product (which is obviously your choice to make). So, in a world of "open-source" material that holds no patents or copyrights, how do you determine the line of unethical behavior? By unspoken rules that people are encouraged, but not obligated to to abide by? By popular opinion?

How many times have you thought of an great idea for an invention (or product/software etc.). Now what if you created the product, and then come to find out that someone else has already made the exact same thing, with the exact specifications. Does that mean that you stole the idea from them? Or is there the possibility that the only route to the end result was by using similar methods. Of course, there are laws that protect from that sort of thing. But i'm sure you understand what I am getting at.

I'm not advocating the use of someone else's stuff, but for the vast majority of users who are not developers and cannot properly read code lines that have supposed evidence in them of "biting", I don't understand how they can blindly follow an accusation without their being a knowledgeable neutral party to evaluate and present the verdict. It's like people picking sides on the OJ case prior to it even going to trial.

Let me guess.... you think OJ was innocent? Good Grief.... Some people just deserve each other.

cesareborgia

Reaction score
Funny how people can find integrity issues within a community that is hacking in the first place. Obviously if you really cared about integrity, you wouldn't root or mod your phones in the first place, since it is a warranty voider.

When you purchase a phone, it now becomes yours. Your property, to do with what you please.

If I choose to throw my phone on the ground and smash it to millions of bits, I am certainly voiding my warranty, my act however is not un-ethical. Just because it is hacking, does not mean that it is not ethical.

Rooting your phone has nothing to do with integrity at all. It has to do with modifying something you have purchased, to better fit your own needs or desires. When people modify their cars for example, they are certainly voiding aspects of their warranty, yet it is not un-ethical.

You cannot make the argument that what BD did was "okay" by stating that people who root their phones are not ethical. Reducing the ethical status of one group does not elevate what BD has done. And just so you understand, hacking is not wrong or bad, your perception of hacking is. Hacking is the age old art of figuring out how things work. I copied this from DOC DROPPERS!. It is a fairly good definition of what hacking is.

hacker n. [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe]

1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.
  2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming.
  3. A person capable of appreciating hack value.
  4. A person who is good at programming quickly.
  5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in "a Unix hacker". (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.)
  6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example.
  7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.
  8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence "password hacker", "network hacker". The correct term for this sense is cracker.
Just out of curiosity, have you rooted your own phone?

I think everyone is in agreement that what BD did was wrong. If he just coped to it, and didn't attempt to use the "Bill Clinton" defense it probably would have blown over. But it seems that in some cases, the most fragile thing in the entire world to some people are their ego's. They would rather sacrifice their integrity to satisfy their ego.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Nice to see you here dave........I also remember the BB storm days

Is it a bad sign when thread goes TOTALLY off topic, and we talk about the BlackBerry Storm for awhile, and THAT turns out to be a GOOD thing? *LMAO*

Let's just all get along. The past is the past, what's done is done. Let's just hope BD gets his act together, and regains his ROM posting privelages. THAT would be the best outcome for the whole community. Until that time, let's stick together, not drift apart. This is the Android Community; not the Crips vs. the Bloods. Let's not make it SEEM like a gang war. BlackDroid now has his own forum, and we have a site that maintains integrity. BlackDroid has a chance to redeem himself with DF with his next release. Let's all hope he takes advantage of that choice, and comes through.

Just remember, alot of you who are mad at him for not coming right out and admitting he's lying have probably yourselves lied to cover up a prior lie. Not all of you, but I can't believe that all of you are innocent. Please leave the guy alone now, he's been punished for his misdeed. He "copy/pasted" a ROM and won't admit it..... He didn't kill anyone. At worst, he's no worse than a student who "borrows" content and copy/pastes it into a term paper. It's not RIGHT, and it may get him/her expelled..... But it's NOT the end of the world.......

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you purchase a phone, it now becomes yours. Your property, to do with what you please.

If I choose to throw my phone on the ground and smash it to millions of bits, I am certainly voiding my warranty, my act however is not un-ethical. Just because it is hacking, does not mean that it is not ethical.

Rooting your phone has nothing to do with integrity at all. It has to do with modifying something you have purchased, to better fit your own needs or desires. When people modify their cars for example, they are certainly voiding aspects of their warranty, yet it is not un-ethical.

Quoted for truth. It's no different than installing RockBox on a Sandisk Sansa... It may void the warranty, but it is in no way unethical; or a reason to call one's integrity into question.

(I use RockBox as an example because it, like Android, is Open Source)

linkboy

Reaction score

Unload those POS's right now. That's what I did with mine when I got my Droid. Popped that sucker on Craigslist and sold it within two weeks for $100.

If I didn't, it would have skipped into the Missouri River.

Varking

Reaction score
question has bd made another statement on this thread I heard he was supposed to can anyone verify for me what's up with that. thanx

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I have been checking back every couple of hours to see his post but it never popped up.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
Funny how people can find integrity issues within a community that is hacking in the first place. Obviously if you really cared about integrity, you wouldn't root or mod your phones in the first place, since it is a warranty voider.

How does one's voiding of their OWN warranty put their integrity into question? Unless they are bricking phones, and trying to get warranty replacements; there is no integrity question at all. Installing a custom ROM/kernel is NOT hacking, no matter what anyone says. The only way integrity would come into play would be if rooting and customizing somehow made pirating apps easier. Since we're not talking about a jailbroken iPhone here, this is not the case at all. So I don't see why you are questioning peoples integrity when running a non-offical OS?
Please read all of the statements that followed afterward, before jumping to your bold comeback statement. You will see how mostly everything you said had already been discussed. Thanks for playing though.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
funny how some people can't see the difference in choosing to void a warranty... which is in no ways unethical or shows lack of integrity with putting your name on somebody else's work.... apples to apples my friend.
The warranty voiding shows an act of defiance against the rules set forth for the product (which is obviously your choice to make). So, in a world of "open-source" material that holds no patents or copyrights, how do you determine the line of unethical behavior? By unspoken rules that people are encouraged, but not obligated to to abide by? By popular opinion?

How many times have you thought of an great idea for an invention (or product/software etc.). Now what if you created the product, and then come to find out that someone else has already made the exact same thing, with the exact specifications. Does that mean that you stole the idea from them? Or is there the possibility that the only route to the end result was by using similar methods. Of course, there are laws that protect from that sort of thing. But i'm sure you understand what I am getting at.

I'm not advocating the use of someone else's stuff, but for the vast majority of users who are not developers and cannot properly read code lines that have supposed evidence in them of "biting", I don't understand how they can blindly follow an accusation without their being a knowledgeable neutral party to evaluate and present the verdict. It's like people picking sides on the OJ case prior to it even going to trial.

Let me guess.... you think OJ was innocent? Good Grief.... Some people just deserve each other.
Not sure why out of all of the posts on this thread, you decided to try and nitpick that one, and very poorly at that. Since you highlighted it, you can clearly see that I used it as an example of pre-judgment before trial. I'm sure you will eventually get it, don't give up though.

But to indulge you, I don't care if OJ did it or not. That's his problem, not mine. It did not effect me one bit.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please read all of the statements that followed afterward, before jumping to your bold comeback statement. You will see how mostly everything you said had already been discussed. Thanks for playing though.

Well, my friend, unfortunately I came to your post first; and felt like expressing my opinion. I start on page 1 and work my way forward; so I hadn't realize it'd been discussed yet. Beside that, I didn't know there was a rule where only one person was allowed to express their opinion on something?

Sorry you had to waste your time replying to me, though. And I mean that, no sarcasm meant.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Almost a thousand posts. Did not see this much activity until the 2.1 hype.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score

Well, my friend, unfortunately I came to your post first; and felt like expressing my opinion. I start on page 1 and work my way forward; so I hadn't realize it'd been discussed yet. Beside that, I didn't know there was a rule where only one person was allowed to express their opinion on something?

Sorry you had to waste your time replying to me, though. And I mean that, no sarcasm meant.
I didn't say that you couldn't respond however you wanted, I just made a request that you read further on to see if things have been discussed already. It's a request, not a demand, so you can do what you want with it. No point in beating a dead horse though. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your feedback to my post. I have actually learned quite a bit from the responses since then.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score

You cannot make the argument that what BD did was "okay" by stating that people who root their phones are not ethical. Reducing the ethical status of one group does not elevate what BD has done. And just so you understand, hacking is not wrong or bad, your perception of hacking is. Hacking is the age old art of figuring out how things work. I copied this from DOC DROPPERS!. It is a fairly good definition of what hacking is.

hacker n. [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe]

1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.
  2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming.
  3. A person capable of appreciating hack value.
  4. A person who is good at programming quickly.
  5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in "a Unix hacker". (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.)
  6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example.
  7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.
  8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence "password hacker", "network hacker". The correct term for this sense is cracker.
Just out of curiosity, have you rooted your own phone?

I think everyone is in agreement that what BD did was wrong. If he just coped to it, and didn't attempt to use the "Bill Clinton" defense it probably would have blown over. But it seems that in some cases, the most fragile thing in the entire world to some people are their ego's. They would rather sacrifice their integrity to satisfy their ego.
Ok, here's a thought. After modding your phone to specs that void warranty, did you call in and request your warranty be voided because of what you did? Or are you allowing it to continue, just in case something goes wrong? Doesn't that seem like a lead into an unethical act? Hasn't happened yet, but the intent is there, which to me is still unethical. I can bet at the very second a mod project goes wrong, you'd flash it back to stock settings and say "I don't know what happened, I just woke up to it like this". It's not an unreasonable thought, but that doesn't excuse it from being wrong. So I guess my point actually lied a few levels past just modding voiding the warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to excuse anyone from their offenses. But from my point of view the ethics stretch a little further than just those that "hackers" or whoever in the community deem relevant. Now I'm sure that within your community outsiders' views of the ethics mean nothing, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist and aren't relevant. I think i'm just looking deeper into this than is necessary, that's just the way I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.