DroidForums.net & Ultimate Droid ROMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobytl

Reaction score
OK, I didn't have a side in this either, I've been playing devils advocate online and off for either side that I felt was under represented at the time. But reading BD's actual statement, and having been around for the last times this has happened, I think this is the right call.

Just basing off of the facts, namely the md5 matches of the apks, and BD's response, there really is only two possibilities. Either he blatantly stole the source (which has been stipulated by the aggrieved parties as not really being an offense if not for the insults thrown in with the theft) and continues to lie about it. Or he was incompetent to the point of not actually knowing what was going into the ROM, which I can't help but get the feeling is what he was saying in that statement.

Either way, I don't care which, I personally would not want to run that ROM. I mean, he's either dishonest and that could open the door to all kinds of intentional badness being let loose in my phone, or he's incompetent, which could let loose all kinds of unintentional badness being let loose in my phone...

Thanks for the memories. Time for pizza and a beer.

validoption

Reaction score
I agree with the board's decision, primarily because--to me, anyway--there is nothing to debate.

Plagiarism, in any medium, is representing someone else's thoughts/work as one's own original thoughts/work. If such an action were to take place in an academic setting, the plagiarist would be punished--often by being removed from the university. In such cases, hearings are held to determine the intention of the plagiarist. If the plagiarist owns up to the fact, leniency may be granted, and alternate options to expulsion may be considered. However, if the plagiarist denies the intellectual theft, and the board finds it to indeed be plagiarism, there is little left to do but follow through with the appropriate consequences.

From what I've read, there were deliberations over the matter, BD made no admission of wrongdoing, and these are the consequences that came of it.

The continuing discussion of this has less to do with right/wrong as it does with individual users' emotions over the matter.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
This reminds me of 2 political parties, except here there's no terrorism. And we are still just talking about a phone, correct? Just checking?

Not taking sides either way, I'm sure this could've been resolved amicably. Admins got put in a tough spot. One thing I do know...

[edited by RinTinTigger: Please leave those pix out...not fine and gentlemen like]

Last edited by a moderator:

Beron

Reaction score
This reminds me of 2 political parties, except here there's no terrorism. And we are still just talking about a phone, correct? Just checking?

Not taking sides either way, I'm sure this could've been resolved amicably. Admins got put in a tough spot. One thing I do know...

If the admins around here are really serious about banning forum users I think your post deserves it a lot more than anything else posted so far.

Making fun of handicapped people is really mature, sir.

the blackdroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
All these things can simply be narrowed down to a few things, money, greed, power, and ego. None of the you will see I am about as you read this post.

My name is Greg.

I am an ex owner of a profitable computer services business. I closed up shop in order to stay home and help my sick grandfather. He has passed and left our family with a big house with lots of bills, no jobs, and no money.

For those of you that seek the truth....

1.To clear something up when I say internet issues...it either means I didn't have enough money to pay the bill or the internet went out and I didn't have enough money to pay the car insurance enough to drive to the library. :/

2. I haven't had not one paid app in any of my roms since 2.0. Which was a mistake since the app was no longer on the market I figured it would be ok for me to include. Rookie mistake on my part but as soon as I was made aware it was cleared up immediately.

3. I was not banned from alldroid, the closed my forum down at the request of a Mr. Peter Alfonso. I had no warez apps in my Rom at the time and had not broken any rules, but he at the time was the sites biggest most well know developer and he didn't like the attention (which I hate cause it always brings trouble as we have all seen) that my roms where getting so that was the only thing they could come up with...ask any of my users from back then and they will tell you.

4. For those who think I can give soo much support because I'm not actually developing this is not true. Everybody knows why. Lol I just don't sleep!!! And on top of that like I said before RIGHT NOW I DON'T HAVE A JOB.

5. I HAVE MORALS. If I made a mistake I will be man enough to say it, but I'm not going to lie and bow down to someone and give them false credit. The truth is this. I used to be friends with Koush and supported him OPENLY I was THE FIRST to jump on the Rom manager bandwagon. Then one day I realized that we though very differently on how we viewed the community. Even though I am broke and I understand fully that developing is very time consuming I still don't believe that people should be charged for what they can get for free. Didn't agree with him just said we have a difference of opinion and asked politely to have ultimate Droid removed from the Rom manger list (was removed and later reported without my permission). I and a member of my team tried to bring this thing to a close peacefully and tried to be men about this and asked what would squash this situation...we complied, and yet the onslaught and childishness continued. There was nothing that could have been said or done to resolve the issue. They only came to destroy which if this trend catches on will have a DEVASTATING affect on the community.

I only came to have fun and to share what I have made. I don't have anything to gain. As far as donation I really do appreciate the ones that did and am really thankfull because whether you knew it or not you helped literally feed my family.

I will be continuing over at ultimatedroid.com thanks to soccer and will try to be there to help you guys as much as I can.

This was no sob story people. It's real life and for anyone that actually wants to support this community I just want to let you know..fighting solves nothing, so don't get dragged down with the rest of them. Please!

OP
K

kEEPING IT REAL

Don't worry BlackDroid you will always be one of the great ones and my eyes. I will follow you over at ultimatedroid.com.

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This says a lot. This site is supposed to be a fun and learning experience and so many people make it something it is not. With that said BD, I stand behind you 100%. There is always a way for bootleggers to hack and some way or another put stuff out there that someone is trying to earn money off of. So making people pay is pointless this is all a bunch of bs and you people that sit on here and fight are wasting your time this is the internet. And I think something should be done about the back and forth bickering. So keep doing what you are doing bd your doing a great job

Cole119

Reaction score
Good decision! I was disappointed when this site was defending a thief at first; I'm glad you guys saw the light. Now we need to get Cyanogen back.

mrdroid

Reaction score
Good decision! I was disappointed when this site was defending a thief at first; I'm glad you guys saw the light. Now we need to get Cyanogen back.

"We" don't need to get anyone back. The forum should just support dev's that follow the open source mentality and get rid of those who don't; which they have finally started to do. That's all it will take to remain a great forum.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey ppl keep calling him a thief, its real hypocritical when I can point to a post that is probably close to pirating, if not flat out. I dont wanna stir nothing up, but observant folks will know what I mean......

BoostinMech

Reaction score
I understand what had to be done, but i think in the long run this will only hurt the site. in my opinion... i use BD roms cause they worked very well for me, he was consistantly online helping and refered alot of my friends with droids to this site. if one party was banned, they both should have been banned, because to me; in their own way they both acted immaturely. But it basically come down to who was going to bring the site more users in the long run. Kind of the same princible of the U.S. who ever has the most money walks free.... i.e. RKELLY, micheal Vic, plaxico Burress, dick cheney, an so on and so on... good luck DF.:icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

What, back in the forum? He wanted to disassociate himself with DF. He said it felt dirty in here. I don't see him asking to come back and I highly doubt we're going to ask him if he wants to come back in.

huskur

Reaction score
My opionion......unfair is right. I have a decision to make. I am a proud supporter of droidforums.net but an injustice has been done, that being said it may be best for me at this point to leave the forum and think some things over. I don't know the entire story on "why" this decision has been made and i am certain that i never will. Hopefully blackdroid will move forward with his roms, i will just have to use his site it looks like and get support from his IRC channel. Since using his roms and doing an across the board comparison there is no equal rom available.

Samckaz

Reaction score
My opionion......unfair is right. I have a decision to make. I am a proud supporter of droidforums.net but an injustice has been done, that being said it may be best for me at this point to leave the forum and think some things over. I don't know the entire story on "why" this decision has been made and i am certain that i never will. Hopefully blackdroid will move forward with his roms, i will just have to use his site it looks like and get support from his IRC channel. Since using his roms and doing an across the board comparison there is no equal rom available.

I second that...very well said
BD we will follow you wherever you go, cause besides making the best ROM's out there you are also a hell of a nice guy, you were always there to answer any question that was asked.

Godspeed BD

Status
Not open for further replies.