DroidForums, I love you BUT...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This ridiculous "Redirect page..." that has been added recently. Really? That is SO lame. Please get rid of that immediately. If I click a link that says "Click this link to see the app on the Google Play store", I do NOT need yet another page saying "hey....this is an external link from DroidForums and if you click CONTINUE now you will be directed somewhere else......"
Seriously?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
This ridiculous "Redirect page..." that has been added recently. Really? That is SO lame. Please get rid of that immediately. If I click a link that says "Click this link to see the app on the Google Play store", I do NOT need yet another page saying "hey....this is an external link from DroidForums and if you click CONTINUE now you will be directed somewhere else......"
Seriously?
Hey Pere, I'll check it out and get back to you...

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The warning gives users a security notice to let them know they are leaving the site. Obviously if they are going to the Google play store it is not a security issue but many external sites CAN be a security issue. Malware, unfortunately, is rampant today. This gives the users a heads up.

If you hate it, you can right click and 'open in a new tab' and it will bypass it altogether.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey PereDroid,

That feature is meant to help protect users from being redirected to malware by spammers. I don't blame you for being a bit annoyed by it though, so I'll tell you an easy trick to bypass it. Instead of left-clicking on the link, just right click on it and then click on open in a new tab. That will bypass the redirect notice and take you straight to the link. I figured that out a long time ago, because I have seen several large sites starting to use this function.

I simply got in the habit of always doing that all the time, and now I don't even think about it. It's almost as fast as just left-clicking the link.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Still hate it. :D
How often do people post Malware infested links here? It's exceptionally rare that one gets posted and clicked on by any of us. This is overkill. Like using a sledghammer to kill a flea. "It happened once, so let's set this up!"

Not to mention I think most of us are savvy enough to know NOT to click on the link from IMANEWUSER telling us about this great new app he found and it takes you to ANYWHERE but Play/Amazon.

It's 2014. We do not need this kind of hand holding. I can protect my self. I get you want to run a site to the lowest common denominator, but I think this one is over the top.

I will concede, however, as it appears I am the only one annoyed by it.

:D

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Pere you'd be surprised at the amount of malware links posted on sites. Members don't see a lot of what happens behind the scenes in regards to these types of things. With that said we thought it was essential to make sure that when members are on DroidForums they are protected. I don't like to use cliche's, but if we can help 'save' one person from hitting a bad link that was posted on our site then we've done our job.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
To add to Mr CKs informative comment:
while most of us DO know better in regards what is and isn't safe to click on, we have new members joining all the time, (as well as first time smartphone users). So to reiterate, if we can help out one person, I think it's worth any minor inconvenience it may cause to our regulars.
Great discussion though. It will definitely help others going forward to better understand why things are done a certain way.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How often do people post Malware infested links here? It's exceptionally rare that one gets posted and clicked on by any of us. This is overkill. Like using a sledghammer to kill a flea. "It happened once, so let's set this up!"

Not to mention I think most of us are savvy enough to know NOT to click on the link from IMANEWUSER telling us about this great new app he found and it takes you to ANYWHERE but Play/Amazon.

It's 2014. We do not need this kind of hand holding. I can protect my self. I get you want to run a site to the lowest common denominator, but I think this one is over the top.

I'm all for killing a flea with a sledgehammer. It's about the only thing tough enough to crush the little buggers .... other than pinching with your fingernails. :D
Sometimes spam isn't caught right away and there have been a few that actually slipped through for more than a few hours.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Had another thought; don't you agree that this might actually scare the not-so savvy into NOT clicking through on a legit link???

Last edited:

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Welcome to the minority point of view Pere. I find myself in that area quite frequently and the thing to do is just go with the flow. You can't take it personally. :)

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...