DroidForums Android App Highlight: Flipboard

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
flipboard.png

Sometimes, even when an app hits it big and becomes one of the defining apps of an ecosystem, it can still be overlooked by some. We thought it would be useful to highlight some very useful apps from time-to-time. Most of the time, most of you will have already heard of or been using most of these apps. Just in case someone out there was unaware of them, we want to make sure to share them. Of course, occasionally we might find a "diamond in the rough" that hasn't been used much and/or isn't one of the popular kids on the block. This will make our idea to highlight Android apps all the more useful.

To start off this series, let's begin with a very useful app called Flipboard. Here's the basic low-down on Flipboard... not only is it a great app for catching up with various news items from multiple sources, it also happens to be one of the best (if not the best) aggregator app for following your social networks. Flipboard's defining characteristic is that you can "sync" it up with nearly all of your social apps, from Facebook, to Twitter, to Tumblr, to Google+ and more. In all, Flipboard will handle up to 12 social apps at once giving you a one stop shop to check out what all of your connections are up to and to update them on what you are up to. Here's a quote from the Google Play Store description with the full details,

Flipboard brings together world news and social news in a beautiful magazine designed for your Android phone and tablet. Once you pick a few topics, your Flipboard is built and you can instantly start flipping through the pages of news you care about and stories and photos friends are sharing. And with Flipboard 2.0, when you find things that you want to save for later or collect into your own ‘magazine’ on Flipboard, just tap the “plus” + button on any item.

Flip through the news from your Twitter timeline as well as from outlets like the Financial Times, USA Today and The Verge. See everything from posts and photos shared by friends on Facebook and Instagram to videos from YouTube and pop culture nuggets from Rolling Stone. Find inspiration for your travel, style and life from places like National Geographic, Etsy and Cool Hunting. Or create your own magazines on anything from Cooking to Chemistry.

Bring Flipboard on the train during your morning commute, catch up over coffee or on vacation, use it as a tool at work or simply to wind down your night. Search for anything or anyone, and make it your own.

It’s the one thing to simplify your daily life.

Highlights:
★ With news and social networks all in one place, it’s easy to quickly catch up on the news you care about.
★ Search for anything—people, topics, hashtags, blogs, your favorite sites—and flip through articles, updates, photos and videos in a beautiful magazine format.
★ Connect Flipboard to up to 12 social networks, streamlining your reading and activities like commenting, liking and sharing. Services include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Flickr, 500px, Sina Weibo and Renren.
★ Use Cover Stories, a custom tile on Flipboard that gives you the best of everything you follow on Flipboard. Cover Stories is a quick dose of what’s happening now a constantly updated selection of articles, photos and videos shared by your friends.
★ Save anything to read later using Instapaper, Pocket and Readability.
★ Create a Flipboard account to access your favorite content and social networks on different or shared devices.
★ Enjoy Flipboard in 15 localized editions—for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Spain, Taiwan, U.S. and U.K.
★ Explore hundreds of staff picks in the Content Guide, including must-read magazines and blogs, gorgeous photography and special curated sections devoted to the news of the day and other topics of interest.
★ Access Flipboard quickly through the widget.

KEEP UP ON FLIPBOARD:

Visit our website http://www.flipboard.com and follow us via @flipboard on Twitter, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/flipboard or Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+Flipboard for tips and tricks and other helpful information.

To learn more about how to use Flipboard, visit our Support Page: http://flipboard.com/support

If you are having technical issues or have any questions, we're here to help. Please send us an email to: [email protected]

Overall, this is a great app if you are even just a medium user of social networks. It also happens to do some other cool things as well. If you haven't tried it already, check it out at the Google Play Store source link below.

Source: Google Play Store - Flipboard

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I used to like Flipboard until my Note 3 came with it preloaded and if you swipe up from the bottom you are staring at it. You can't disable it. You can't remove it. I no longer like Flipboard.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same here,I've used and for some reason,I lost interest and never looked back.

Sent from my Note 3 rockin Jelly Bean 4.3

bigdad63

Reaction score
I used to like Flipboard until my Note 3 came with it preloaded and if you swipe up from the bottom you are staring at it. You can't disable it. You can't remove it. I no longer like Flipboard.
I have never been able to keep TouchWiz, and it seems that launchers disable this feature. At least in my VZW N3.