DroidAfterMarket [FEEDBACK REQUESTED]

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrdroid, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've setup a site to create a centralized location to download all the after market apps, roms, themes, hacks, and other things that we you won't find on the regular market. Currently the site is just going to be simple links so they are easily accessible for download from your Android device.

I need some help though as I'd like to always have the most up-to-date versions available. So I'm asking the developers here on whether you guys would be interested in keeping these files up to date? At first I figure if developers had ftp access to replace their file with the most recent version or something along those lines... eventually I'd like to develop the site into an actual market place. Maybe even an app like stock Market.

Let me know your thoughts..... the site is droidaftermarket.com

2. treminaor

treminaor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting idea...
    The only way to keep the links up-do-date without any work from your part or the developers would be to link directly to the forum post or website of the developer. Unfortunately that defeats the purpose of it being Android browser friendly. As far as setting up an FTP server of sorts, I think you might have a problem getting people on board with it...

Just my two cents.

3. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my plan was to basically host the file for the developer. They would be able to put a link to the download on their site or forum. Then there would also be a link to download on this site. That would be simple html text based short navigation so you could easily download to your phone. The FTP portion would just be for the developer to upload the file.
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm hoping to get a majority of the developers on board with this so we can have a centralized location to find roms, themes and other downloads. Right now, it's pretty hard to find files, then a pain to get them on your phone.

4. treminaor

treminaor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, hosting the file yourself and giving out FTP logins eliminates the work on your part but then you have to convince the developers to use your service. Also, if you want to be the one-stop-shop of all things DROID then you will need to make sure you are committed to the job and will keep the site running with no shenanigans.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea and I hope it amounts to something in the near future ;)

5. bb-gun

bb-gun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want me to help you out with it, i can. I had the same idea. except i was just going to do droid themes and boot animations. I like you're idea better though. If you want to partner up together to make the website and run it, I'll be glad too.

Heres the website i started on. Droid Things

#5 bb-gun, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  6. treminaor

treminaor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I thought I'd throw in that I am a graphic designer and could help you out if you have the need. (Site is looking a little on the plain side, haha)

7. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I'm hoping developers would be onboard without convincing really since all these links are usually sign up services and make you wait 30-60sec to download. They would always have a place to go and drop their files and everyone would know where to get them.
    I'm definitely no big name around here so I'm not sure if people would have an issue downloading from my site or have any security concerns. The dev's could include a check sum file with their upload as one measure. Being dedicated to is the easy part since I sit in front of a computer 15 hours a day for a living...

8. bb-gun

bb-gun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha you've already got a plan, a graphic designer, and somebody to set everything up.

9. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually like the interface of your site if it were to be developed into an app. Simple but catchy.

Well for now that is kind of the point. A better looking version can certainly be developed for PC web and an app as I mentioned. But for ease of browsing and decreased load times I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. As well as keeping the hit points on the touch screen easy to hit the correct link.

Again thanks for the feedback. I'm going to add an email address to the site so people can contact me from the site if they want.

10. bb-gun

bb-gun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you set it up, and tell everyone on alldroid that you have free file hosting on you're site, and let them know you are serious about it, they will be all for it. you could also email rootyourdroid.info asking them to partner up with you. you could give them access to post blogs on you're site too.

11. bb-gun

bb-gun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you want to be taken serious by others, i would consider a graphic designer. I don't mean there should be a lot of useless things on there. He could just make it look nicer... I wouldnt worry about browsing it from your'e Droid. we can always make a mobile version of the website...

And if your'e thinking about making an app for it, you're going to be paying a developer a lot of money.

12. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the way I was looking at it is the main site would be the stripped down version for mobile. The problem with most downloads is that you have too many links to click before you get to the download. On forums you're never sure you have the most current version. Or you have to wait, so on and so forth. That's why I like to present the stripped down version as the main site. I could probably do some browser detection to direct to PC vs mobile though.

The app really won't be that complicated as the back-end is really already going to be in place. We'll just need an app acting as a front end for the user that has the ability to go out and check for new version of apps you have installed.

And yea I'll reach out to some of the other places and see if there is any interest.

Search tags for this page

dynamic website vs cms