DROID4 ICS Update Experience

kissrawks

Reaction score
After I updated to ICS on my DROID4, it ran terrible, slow, lots of force closes or just plain crashes, heating up, fast battery drain. The advice I tried which I found on here was a godsend and I want to recommend it plus add my own:

DO A FACTORY RESET after installing ICS and START FROM SCRATCH-DON'T RESTORE. I didn't do something right and my apps didn't restore like when I switched from DROID3 to DROID4. I had to find them all manually, but all the app info, per app, were on my SD Card and app info was still there when reinstalled. This ended up clearing away junk apps, email, etc, so not restoring worked out. Plus I set up from scratch with groups on home screen, etc. The only thing I really miss is the old widgets, but it isn't terrible.

My DROID4 works awesome now! No overheating, though the battery drain still sucks, even when I found a switch/app to turn 4g off. No spontaneous power resets, no crashes, no force close/wait pop ups and it just runs smooth and fast.

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

silverfang77

Reaction score
DRM Protected Storage was the battery drain culprit for me. If you don't mind going without Google Play Movies, root your phone, install TitBu and freeze that varmint.

meatandpotato

Reaction score
I just received the update last night, and like kissrawks, I was having some SERIOUS performance issues. I went to factory reset, but my battery was so low that it wouldn't let me. So I plugged it in over night to let it charge up with the intention of performing a factory reset this morning, however, it was working perfectly fine this morning! I don't know what gremlins visited in the middle of the night, but it appears to be working just fine.

My only complaints so far are with the car dock. I like that they added room for user selectable apps, but whenever I hit the home button, it now goes to the default home screen, not the car dock home screen! Also, still can't get the music app (my music or google play) to work correctly with my bluetooth. Used to be (on my original Droid, and Droid X) that once the bluetooth was connected, I could hit play and it would pickup from the last playlist, or randomly start the music. Now, nothing. Doesn't even launch either music app, so now you have to manually get to the music via quite a few steps before driving off.

Oh, and I'm unrooted, just thought I'd throw that in there.

OP
K

kissrawks

Reaction score
Verizon tech support told me this morning a factory reset is recommended after a major software upgrade. It definitely helped my '4. However, ICS and 4g made my overheating problem out of control and I'm getting a new phone tomorrow.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
kissrawks said:
After I updated to ICS on my DROID4, it ran terrible, slow, lots of force closes or just plain crashes, heating up, fast battery drain. The advice I tried which I found on here was a godsend and I want to recommend it plus add my own:

DO A FACTORY RESET after installing ICS and START FROM SCRATCH-DON'T RESTORE. I didn't do something right and my apps didn't restore like when I switched from DROID3 to DROID4. I had to find them all manually, but all the app info, per app, were on my SD Card and app info was still there when reinstalled. This ended up clearing away junk apps, email, etc, so not restoring worked out. Plus I set up from scratch with groups on home screen, etc. The only thing I really miss is the old widgets, but it isn't terrible.

My DROID4 works awesome now! No overheating, though the battery drain still sucks, even when I found a switch/app to turn 4g off. No spontaneous power resets, no crashes, no force close/wait pop ups and it just runs smooth and fast.

Do you recommend that to me when update comes to the bionic?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Psxmoe

Reaction score
My Droid was awesome, running 2.3.6, I couldn't update to the latest GB update (219) cause being an android noob i deleted every usleless non verizon related app, I still liked it except for the physcial keyboard not responding after awhile requiring a reboot

After ICS I want to throw my phone so bad and watch it turn into a multi piece paper weight, its slow, Battery is worse then what it was running Ginger Bread, texting on the visual KB is slow to respond as if i was typing on some cheap Cricket Huawei android phone!

AfterA factory data reset today and "Freezing" apps, Its fast!

Not sure if this matters but I now have 450~ MB of free Ram after freezing all the useless non sence?

Zero5295

Reaction score
For those who might find this interesting, if you download the Adobe Flash app and Dolphin Browser, flash works.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Zero5295

Reaction score
Whoops, meant Dolphin Browser (the regular one)! o_O I'll change my original post.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I had Dolphin HD and Flash. Flash still didn't work.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Zero5295

Reaction score
Proof, so no one thinks I'm just blowin' smoke. I'm currently using the Android agent.

Also, out of curiosity, am I the only one that lowered the phone's backrounding limit to 4 processes max? (This question has nothing whatsoever to do with Flash)

Last edited: