Droid3 / Bionic ???

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by darkmatter, Jun 5, 2011.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

Looking at what little we know of processors and stuff, it seems to me that droid3 will be to bionic as droid2 was to dx?

Of course, I'm talking specs here, not 3g vs 4g
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Thisguy89

Thisguy89 New Member

More like Droid 3 will be to Droid X2 as Droid 2 was to Droid X.

Sent from my ZombieStomped Droid 2
  3. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

Considering d3 isn't using tegra2, but a TI OMAP dual core like the bionic, I don't think saying d3 will be more like dx2 would be accurate.
    If d3 was using tegra2, I would agree with you.
  4. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Add to that an even newer version of Blur, a front facing camera, an improved rear 8mp camera, and potentially Webtop. The Bionic will probably have a higher clock speed on the processor, but it seems like there's the potential (and I say potential because concrete specs on the Droid 3 and the Bionic is few and far between) for the Droid 3 and the Bionic to share a lot of similarities.
  5. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

Either way, I have a good perception on this one.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA
  6. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if moto is using the d3 as a bit of a test bed for the TI processors for later use in the bionic.

kinda like, "hey, lets use these processors with technology we know and see what happens. Then we can play with the new, lte, stuff on a different phone."

I'm ok with the cpu being underclocked compared to bionic, but I'm hoping its 1g ram. Considering its supposed to have webtop like the atrix... though isn't the atrix more like, 512 phone/512 webtop?
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. troublesome508

troublesome508 New Member

Just purchased the Droid 3, not happy at all!! Other than the AWFUL BATTERY LIFE the First one sounded like the earpiece was blown so I returned only to get another one that sounded just as bad... the salesman told me "Maybe its just the phone, try suttin else" Exactly what Im doing... Next month I will def be grabbing the Bionic!!!
  8. xxspark89xx

xxspark89xx New Member

Umm... definitely a defected set.. I absolutely love my D3 and have had no problems like that whatsoever.

And to add to discussion, The Droid 3 will be like the Bionic as the Droid 2 was to the Droid X. Why? Because same processor mainboard. The systems will be almost identical underneath with the small factor of screen size/LTE/Keyboard
  9. militant

militant New Member

Good luck with the battery life on the Bionic if you think the battery life on the D3 is bad, lol. Also you know Li-Ion's take a few cycles with the phone to reach max capacity? My first charge lasted 3-4 hours. A week later, today, I'm at 60% juice left and I've got 10h20m since I've been off the charger. So I could probably go a full day with a regular battery, let alone extended.

People like you are what make it so hard to trust reviews of stuff on the internet.
  10. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

Completely agree. I hate it. My Droid 3 is great! Besides battery life still not the best(I did get a little over 10hrs light-moderate use before getting it to 5%), I only went through one cycle so far. Also, I'll likely get an extended battery anyway.

To be honest, my first phone call sounded like crap too. But, being more specific, my first call was also with a person who has a horrible Cricket phone from like 2005, 2006. All my other phone calls have been great. :)

On Topic:
    I'm hearing a lot of the specs for the Bionic are the same as the D3 for the most part, so to be honest, for me anyway, it really is keyboard vs 4G and bigger screen.
  11. troublesome508

troublesome508 New Member

People like me?? hahah! People like me are the reason people should do research on a phone b4 purchasing it bro... Ive owned The droid 1, 2, X, X2, Thunderbolt and now the Droid 3.... the 3 is BY FAR the worst.... and the phone is not defective, they tried almost every phone they had in stock and they all sounded terrible! Im a droid guy and will never own an Iphone or any other device, just sharing my experience with the phone so people know... isnt that what this site is intended for?

People LIKE YOU start arguments instead of sharing FACTS! :icon_evil:
  12. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

Except if it was really that bad, don't you think a lot more people besides you would also be complaining about it? We get the choice to return it within 14days, so, if it was such a problem more people would be doing that. So it's not like we're going, "Ah.. I'm stuck with the phone.. better act like it's the best thing ever so other people are stuck with it too!"

The reviews I've read from people say call quality is good. I even checked out the VZW reviews on their site, and the only bad reviews seem to be due to the battery. Good reviews are mentioning how the call quality is just fine.

But, it's your phone experience I guess so oh well. Get the phone that makes you happy.
  13. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Maybe the store got a bad batch. Mine works perfectly fine and sounds great. Battery life could be better but that's about it. At first I considered taking it back but now I love it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  14. bw13

bw13 New Member

My call quality is fine and is the same as my old D1. Also, battery life on this phone is excellent if you turn the GSM radio off and use CDMA only. You're not going to get better battery life on the Bionic with LTE and a larger screen.
  15. rushmore

rushmore Member

Ditto. trouble appears to be having trouble nobody else is reporting. I can see one bum device, but a store batch seems odd.
  16. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

This is true. Odd, but not unheard of. I've read many reports of great call quality and that's yet to be a complaint I've seen either. I don't doubt he had an issue, but I don't think its inherent to the device.

end of line...
  17. AVNFAM

AVNFAM New Member

So far, loving the D3, husband bought one first. Loved it so much, ordered one for myself. dancedroiddancedroid
  18. Droidgirl_Dallas

Droidgirl_Dallas New Member

Droid 3 gets here this week

It's been a while since I've been on. For a while when I first got my Droid 2 I swore I was going back to a Blackberry. It took some time getting used to it, but now seems I'll be getting a Droid 3...sorry Blackberry!

I know battery life is always an issue so I did order an extended battery. Funny thing is Android has not invented a separate charger for your batteries. You still have to have the battery in the phone in order to charge it...strange?

I did my reseach on the Droid 3 so we'll see if it lives up to the hype. Honestly since using an Android I see no reason to buy an iPad. Everything I need to do I can do on my Droid.

dancedroidI'm a happy camper for now.
  19. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Glad you came to your senses about Blackberry lol. There actually are battery chargers, I see them on Amazon all the time. You'll definitely like the D3. It's a great device.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  20. sycomix

sycomix New Member

got my D3 as upgrade (time renew my contract anyway so i could keep the cool data package, yay grandfathered!) and i have not had a single issue with call audio or entertainment audio. battery life did scare me a bit at first but after about 6-10 charges or so it has improved to almost as long as my D2 lasted. only thing it has done with me is lock up once when i tried to use the camera??? only done that once or twice though, i very dig using the hdmi to watch netflix on a larger screen. i really would have to rate the phone the best i have had so far.
Search tags for this page

droid bionic vs droid3