Droid2 vs Droid

Pele

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid... Stock Android 2.2 (FroYo) firmware that was pushed out by Verizon as of a couple weeks ago.

I love it.

My wife is due for an upgrade and wants a smartphone, but is short on cash seeing as how she has student loans to pay off...
She offered to take my Droid as a hand-me-down and let me use her upgrade opportunity to get the Droid2. This appealed to me, however, I'd like to know some things...

1.) Battery life... Stock for Stock battery or Extended for Extended battery... Gimmie an apples to apples comparison. Anyone have any figures? I'd assume doubling the processor speed would cut down on the battery life SIGNIFICANTLY, but all the published figures seem like the Droid2 has a LONGER battery life... Better power management?

2.) Droid2 runs MotoBLUR... How much different is it? Is it like going from Windows2000 to XP or is it like going from DOS to Windows XP? If it's a significant change, I'll be rooting and installing a new ROM. I like the stock FroYo as it is... (It also took me years to upgrade form Win2k to XP and I'm still not running Vista, much less Win7... I DON'T like change!) Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. I see no difference in battery life between the D1 and D2 but to be honest I have a back up battery, 2 of them actually fully charged so I never really think about it that much. Just to let you know you can get a back up battery on Amazon for 8.00 and a charger on ebay (wall) for 5.00

Everyone makes a big deal about motoblur. I took it and threw it all in the trash and just set my screens up the way I wanted them.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a D2 tomorrow as a warranty replacement for the D1.

My D1 was OC'd and I bounced between UD and BB for the last couple months.

When I get the phone tomorrow, I'll give you some A2A comparison. I also bought the extended battery, so we'll see what happens.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a D2 tomorrow as a warranty replacement for the D1.

My D1 was OC'd and I bounced between UD and BB for the last couple months.

When I get the phone tomorrow, I'll give you some A2A comparison. I also bought the extended battery, so we'll see what happens.

I compared my D2 to my Rooted D1. Same speed, 1 ghz. I still haven't rooted the D2.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me D2 has had better battery life than D1.

Performance is also better on D2.

My D1 was overclocked to 1GHz, ran mostly CyanogenMod ROM.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me D2 has had better battery life than D1.

Performance is also better on D2.

My D1 was overclocked to 1GHz, ran mostly CyanogenMod ROM.

I hope I have the same results. I preemptively bought the extended battery for $37. It would be nice to have to return it.....

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I love my Droid 2's battery life, I recomend rooting and underclocking 300-600 mhz ondemand for when screen is off and I get a whole days use out of my battery.

droid void

Reaction score
the battery is about the same but if you root you can underclock the phone and that will improve battery a lot! i can get a full 12 hours and more on it and i am constantly using the phone, ive been told that im a lil in love with it :) haha. i upgraded from a droid one and couldnt be any happier, so get it root it and have fun.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
I have a d2, and i like it so much more then the d1, seems snappier, seems faster, better battery life w/ same battery.. I have rooted and superclean on it as well

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright, I just got my Droid 2. I spent the last 2 hours rooting and customizing so it's back to the way my D1 was.

Here are my impressions after 2 hours with a D2 and almost 9 months with a D1:

The D2 is just as snappy and responsive as my OC'd D1, especially with LauncherPro.

Rooting is the same old business -- everything I could do with a rooted stock D1, I can also do with a D2 AND WiFi Tethering.

There's a bit more bloatware on the D2 than the D1 -- which is easily removed with the proper application of elbow grease and Root Explorer.

The keyboard is like the bubbly D1 keyboard. I'm still getting used to the slightly different positioning of the keys, but give me 24 hours and it wont matter anymore.

Overall, it's a nice step up. I dont feel like I'm missing anything from BB or UD by only having root. I used facelessuser's one-touch root, and it worked like a dream.

Battery life is TBD -- I have the extended battery, so I'm probably not the right person to ask. I started playing with the phone at 70%, and I'm down to 50 after 2 hours of downloading, rooting, general customizing, and software testing. I'm content.

Thanks,
LtKen

MrKleen

Reaction score
Alright, I just got my Droid 2. I spent the last 2 hours rooting and customizing so it's back to the way my D1 was.

Here are my impressions after 2 hours with a D2 and almost 9 months with a D1:

The D2 is just as snappy and responsive as my OC'd D1, especially with LauncherPro.

Rooting is the same old business -- everything I could do with a rooted stock D1, I can also do with a D2 AND WiFi Tethering.

There's a bit more bloatware on the D2 than the D1 -- which is easily removed with the proper application of elbow grease and Root Explorer.

The keyboard is like the bubbly D1 keyboard. I'm still getting used to the slightly different positioning of the keys, but give me 24 hours and it wont matter anymore.

Overall, it's a nice step up. I dont feel like I'm missing anything from BB or UD by only having root. I used facelessuser's one-touch root, and it worked like a dream.

Battery life is TBD -- I have the extended battery, so I'm probably not the right person to ask. I started playing with the phone at 70%, and I'm down to 50 after 2 hours of downloading, rooting, general customizing, and software testing. I'm content.

Thanks,
LtKen

This is a pretty good assessment.

As far as the battery life goes my D2 battery lasts longer than my D1 battery ever did.

I much prefer my D2 over my D1. The only thing I miss about the D1 was the endless options for roms and mods. However their are now plenty of roms for the 2 to keep you plenty busy!