Droid2 official gb release 8/31 11:59pm

oz0ne

Reaction score
Nothing amazing about this imo. Im going back to cyanogenmod. Much faster and better than this. This OTA GB is better than stock froyo for those non-rooting owners.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Why not do the OTA and install CM7GB over it? That way you're on official kernel and new baseband?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why not do the OTA and install CM7GB over it? That way you're on official kernel and new baseband?

I've been asking, but no one will answer. If I install over the OTA, will the kernel and baseband stay the same, or will it be reverted to the older version when CM7GB is installed?

louy99

Reaction score

Because I use the cm7 rom nightly with the froyo kernal. My phone runs these builds very very well! Also, I dint think z4root roots this version. What is used to root this anyways?

louy99

Reaction score
I've been asking, but no one will answer. If I install over the OTA, will the kernel and baseband stay the same, or will it be reverted to the older version when CM7GB is installed?

I wouldn't think it mattered if you installed cm7gb from the leak or official version. Whatever kernal cm7GB rom is running, that's what you'll get. Right?

oz0ne

Reaction score
Kernel and baseband will remain the same and wont revert. Installing CM7 doesnt touch the kernel or baseband. Rooting is done with the Droid 3 one click method. Runs awesome.

OP
S

sb1831

Reaction score
I rooted, removed the bloat, and reinstalled all of my apps. No need for cyanogen and terrible battery life anymore hooray.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can tell you it absolutely DOES, not even at the boot animiation. I got stuck at the Moto Logo. Had to SBF couldn't even get to recovery.

Yeah, he's releasing an update tonight, he hopes, compatible w/the new goodies. I tested the updated interactive governor setup for him and it works great.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Kernel and baseband will remain the same and wont revert. Installing CM7 doesnt touch the kernel or baseband. Rooting is done with the Droid 3 one click method. Runs awesome.

Correct...nothing will change the kernel on the D2 except an SBF, or an official update.zip (like the GB OTA we just got) from Motorola. (Locked bootloader.)
Baseband is updatable via the TBH "SBF ZIPs" that they distribute.
Nandroid backup/restores don't affect either.

broman77

Reaction score
I did factory. Reset and still no gingerbread update what the he'll is going on

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted, removed the bloat, and reinstalled all of my apps. No need for cyanogen and terrible battery life anymore hooray.

You, sir, are demonstrably insane, re: no need for cyanogenmod. ;-)

Kidding...there are a lot of things to like about the moto build, I do miss the moto Email app, runs rings around the CM7 email app.

That said, battery life on CM is no longer terrible - on CM7Froyo I was getting about 5%/hour = 20 hours until dead. That's damn respectable.

Haven't had a chance to measure CM7GB w/the new kernel/baseband...

But that's what makes Android the platform of choice...choice! :D

juv3

Reaction score
That's what im talking about... Get GB, root and remove the bloat... I have flashed roms since octuber last year specially on droid 1, flashed kernels for faster processor and batt life but the real deal is the stock roms because must apps developers shoot for specific phones and roms, and there is always more bugs in a custom rom than the stock

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what im talking about... Get GB, root and remove the bloat... I have flashed roms since octuber last year specially on droid 1, flashed kernels for faster processor and batt life but the real deal is the stock roms because must apps developers shoot for specific phones and roms, and there is always more bugs in a custom rom than the stock

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

The thing I can't take about stock is just that...it's stock, it just sits there w/little or no change for months or (in the case of the D2) years. No new features, functions...boring and limited.

My wife is a "stock ROM" kinda person...very happy w/the stock ROM, basic functionality, stonehenge-like immutability. The fewer changes the better.

I'm a custom ROM kinda person - love the regular updates/new features that they provide, particularly CM7 with its nightly builds that you can get into if you want. Things like my favorite feature on CM7, a setting that removes the need to hit the OK button after putting in my PIN...and enhanced lock screen time-out options, options to turn off the lock screen entirely when you have a PIN set, enhanced LED control, etc., etc.

That's what I like about Android...you can choose your own experience, find your own smartphone zen. So cool.

juv3

Reaction score
The thing I can't take about stock is just that...it's stock, it just sits there w/little or no change for months or (in the case of the D2) years. No new features, functions...boring and limited.

My wife is a "stock ROM" kinda person...very happy w/the stock ROM, basic functionality, stonehenge-like immutability. The fewer changes the better.

I'm a custom ROM kinda person - love the regular updates/new features that they provide, particularly CM7 with its nightly builds that you can get into if you want. Things like my favorite feature on CM7, a setting that removes the need to hit the OK button after putting in my PIN...and enhanced lock screen time-out options, options to turn off the lock screen entirely when you have a PIN set, enhanced LED control, etc., etc.

That's what I like about Android...you can choose your own experience, find your own smartphone zen. So cool.
I feel ya, the only two things i miss from a custom Rom really is the drop down notification bar with the shortcuts to GPS, WIFI, etc... and overclocking the kernel for faster speed but with the Droid 2 global compared to the Droid 1 i had i'm happy with the speed... the Led control? you mean to change the colors? i digged that too but after changing them i forgot what each one ment. But now you gotta consider that the people that make/tweak the stock roms might know the Rom/operating system but how much do they know about the hardware? do they know enough information to tweak the light and not brake it? or haven't you seen bricked phones or broken led light for tweaking with the hardware??? and of course we can blame the hardware but maybe it wasn't the hardware... it's like Symantec/Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm in windows, Symantec's Group specialize in Virus detection and Removal, but they have a Firewall that is not as good as ZoneAlarm because they know how to program, ZoneAlarm specializes on Firewall and their antivirus sucks... so you gotta think Do you want your phone to have a stock rom that's not going to damage your hardware, you don't know when it's going to be updated but work until then, or do you want a few little tweaks that might limmit your hardware's life and not know when it is going to DIE!...