Droid2 interfering with laptop's wireless connection?

Jeri Morris

Reaction score
Is it possible that my Droid2 is interfering with my laptop's connection to the wireless router?

For a few months now, I've been having intermittent problems connecting my laptop to my office's wireless router. I don't have these problems with my home wireless router, and nobody else in the office has problems with the office router. I'll go for days or weeks with no problem at all, and then, for no apparent reason, my laptop drops its connection to the wireless router. Sometimes, the connection will bounce up and down for hours on end. (Massively frustrating!)

I haven't been able to detect any pattern, but I may have found something today. Or maybe not. Over the last two days, I've noticed that whenever the connection has dropped, my Droid2 is sitting right next to my laptop, and in a direct line between the laptop and the wireless router. Could the Droid2 be interfering with the signal between my laptop and the router? Or is it just a coincidence?

The Droid does NOT have wireless enabled. I usually have that disabled to preserve battery strength.

The laptop wireless card is a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card.

The router is a relatively new Cisco router. I don't have the model number handy, but can find it if anyone thinks it's relevant.

I'd appreciate your comments - this has been driving me crazy!

- Jeri

erich93063

Reaction score
Well you might not be crazy and now I will do some tests myself, but my wife just got a D2 and we have been having crazy wireless issues in our house where it is doing exactly what you are describing. We have ATT U-Verse. I pay for 12M down and we started noticing Youtube/Netflix constantly having to buffer on our laptops. I did a speed test and was getting like 1 or 2 down sometimes less then 1 even. Then it would be 5 then 8 then down to 1 again and this was with no one else using WIFI in the house. If we hard wire into the internet we get full speed of 12 or even more. It was JUST the wireless. We called ATT out and they ran some tests and they said yeah you must have something that is causing interference. It was very frustrating. I didn't even THINK that it could be one of our phones. I'm at work right now, but when I get home, I will do some tests with the phone off and on and report back.