Droid2 and WIFI

philzo

Reaction score
The only way I can get my Droid2 connected on my home wireless network is by 1. enabling SSID broadcast and 2. disabling the security I'm currently using (WPA Personal). I prefer not to do either. Is there a fix for this? My router supports B & G protocols.

Thanks,
Phil

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way I can get my Droid2 connected on my home wireless network is by 1. enabling SSID broadcast and 2. disabling the security I'm currently using (WPA Personal). I prefer not to do either. Is there a fix for this? My router supports B & G protocols.

Thanks,
Phil

You should not have to disable security - my D2 connects w/WPA2 no problem at work and home. SSID broadcast should just be enabled all the time - you gain no additional security by disabling it, so don't bother to hide it again. Anyone who wants to hack your network does not need SSID broadcast to find it.

What happens when you have security enabled - the D2 just never connects at all?

What router brand/model?

HirolMalt

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my Droid 2: I am running a Netgear WMDR3700 and my Droid 2 will connect then disconnect if I set the security to WPA2-PSK [AES].

However, if I change the security to WPA-PSK [TKIP], my Droid 2 has no problems with keeping a signal.

No other devices on the network have any issue with WPA2-PSK [AES]. I think the Droid -- or Froyo -- has a problem with AES.

I've decided to forgo using the Droid 2 on the home network, but it doesn't make me happy about it.

FYI: My phone is not rooted.

OP
P

philzo

Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT firmware. I'm not sure what the bandwidth is set to (can't find the setting).

The Droid tries authenticating and then fails and marks the SSID entry as disabled WPA/WPA2 PSK.

Thanks.

OP
P

philzo

Reaction score
So I decided to change my router's security from WPA Personal TKIP to WPA2 Personal AES and voila my Droid is now in my network. Bizarre, huh? Thanks for everyone's comments.

Blakely

Reaction score
Pardon me for such a elementary question, but what is the benefit of using WIFI over the regular "internet" connection with Verizon? Does using a WIFI connection save on your data plan?

davishusband

Reaction score
I am sure it saves on data plans that aren't unlimited

Pardon me for such a elementary question, but what is the benefit of using WIFI over the regular "internet" connection with Verizon? Does using a WIFI connection save on your data plan?
Having wifi gives you more consistent fast speeds.

nwuwildcats96

Reaction score
My understanding is that when you use data over Wi-Fi, it doesn't toward your data limit, whereas using data over the 3G connection does. Of course, most of us with Droid 2 probably still have the unlimited data plan, before Verizon canceled that for new contracts. But Wi-Fi also gives a faster, more reliable connection when it works than does 3G with regards to Internet and other data streaming.

Blakely

Reaction score
Thank you both for replying. Indeed, it does give you a faster connection i've found. Pertaining to what you mentioned nwuwildcats96, does anyone know if Vrz will honor our unlimited data plan when it's time for us to renew with them?

nwuwildcats96

Reaction score
As long as you're in your current contract with your current phone, you will have unlimited data. Once you go to a new phone, unlimited data will no longer be an option. That was effective in July.