Droid100's Bug Log & Gripes

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
I may have skimmed too quickly, but have you at least come to grips with the fact that WiFi is really what's killing your battery? Seriously, 32% to WiFi and it consuming more power than the display is telling me you've got an app that's keeping it on after the screen goes off. Did you by chance change the default WiFi action for when the screen goes blank (turns off WiFi)?

I hear what you all are saying and have turned it off. I'm going to keep an eye on the battery life today.

Yes, I do have apps running in the background that update regularly. To me, that's the point of having a device that can multitask.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
hello this is my first post here i have been doing lots of research on the moto droid i want one bad but with all the bugs should i just wait or should i do it .i cant decide if i decide to do it i will pick mine up on thurs . just not sure about all the glitches that are still in the works .i need some help deciding .thanks in advance .

I would buy the device again, even with the issues I personally have. I'm just posting some of the things I have small issues with and hope that someone else has a suggestions.

The issues I see are problems with the way I expect it to behave and not with hardware/software defects. There are minor glitches with the software but nothing that can't be fixed. The only thing that can't be fixed, and is an issue with every handset, is battery life. You can't run this or any other handset with Wifi, GPS, and background apps but still expect it to last 24hrs+.

I hope you also take into consideration the people on this board. Everyone is very responsive and really great about offering tips/help.

There's stuff that's imperfect but you won't regret buying it.

Last edited:
OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
IIRC I've seen an application that claimed to solve exactly the same problem, don't remember the name tough, just look for audio players, it is a player that handles audio files in browser and plays them in background.

Thanks for this! I'm going to look it up!

sgdossey

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I do have my screen brightness turned all the way down, and according to the task-killer, nothing running in the background. I also don't use the GPS, just Wifi and the background Sync service. I'm going to keep playing with the settings and run a few tests.

I'm going to raise the BS flag on your 30hours of service. I pretty sure every person could turn every service off and never get near 30hours.

I am getting approx. 30-36 hours in between charges. Corporate and gmail syncing. Casual phone calls. GPS and bluetooth always on. Bluetooth activated by vehicle approx 1.5 hours a day. Long drive to and from work.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
I am getting approx. 30-36 hours in between charges. Corporate and gmail syncing. Casual phone calls. GPS and bluetooth always on. Bluetooth activated by vehicle approx 1.5 hours a day. Long drive to and from work.

Today I have a battery status of this:

Display - 24% (<30m)
Android System - 17% (<30m)
Phone Idle - 15% (4h)
Email - 14% (<30m)
Cell Standby - 12% (5h)
Media Server - 7%(<10m)
Browser - 5%(<10m)
Android OS - 3%(<10m)
Android Core - 2%(<10m)
Last.FM - 2(<10m)

The phone came off the charger at 7:15AM and I'm at 50% again at about the same time today.

Battery has to be bad... Wifi & GPS are off, Screen dimmed. I also set the updates on email/apps to hourly or more. Only thing left is for me to turn the phone off.

vonfink13

Reaction score
i searched thru this thread and did not see this..so..have you tried doing the battery conditioning thing..?..i tried and it seemed to work for me...i let the battery drain completely a couple nights a week and then charge it for around 10-12 hours....sounds like you are doing everything right otherwise..juat thought i would throw this out there in case you missed it...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...gestions/1974-understanding-battery-life.html

sgdossey

Reaction score

Today I have a battery status of this:

Display - 24% (<30m)
Android System - 17% (<30m)
Phone Idle - 15% (4h)
Email - 14% (<30m)
Cell Standby - 12% (5h)
Media Server - 7%(<10m)
Browser - 5%(<10m)
Android OS - 3%(<10m)
Android Core - 2%(<10m)
Last.FM - 2(<10m)

The phone came off the charger at 7:15AM and I'm at 50% again at about the same time today.

Battery has to be bad... Wifi & GPS are off, Screen dimmed. I also set the updates on email/apps to hourly or more. Only thing left is for me to turn the phone off.

FYI- Bad day today, lots of phone calls. 11.8 hours later I am at 50%.

Voice 42%
Phone Idle 21%
Cell Standby 16%
Display 10%
Bluetooth 6%
Android System 3%
Andoid OS 3%

I don't have the Media Server or Last.FM listed on mine.
Mine also doesn't show email for whatever reason. I have been in my Corporate and Gmail accounts.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
FYI- Bad day today, lots of phone calls. 11.8 hours later I am at 50%.

Voice 42%
Phone Idle 21%
Cell Standby 16%
Display 10%
Bluetooth 6%
Android System 3%
Andoid OS 3%

I don't have the Media Server or Last.FM listed on mine.
Mine also doesn't show email for whatever reason. I have been in my Corporate and Gmail accounts.

Awesome thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking mine has to be bad or possibly needs reconditioning as that thread suggests.

Thanks for the link vonfink13! I'm going to try that! Can't hurt to try it before I start the process of getting a new battery...

Last edited:

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
along the topic of bugs - I've experienced a few instances this weekend where I would want to send pictures to a few family members and for one reason or another it would not do it. I had to do a battery pull and only then did it send.

has anyone else experienced this kind of lag on MMS or SMS? could it be a verizon issue?

vonfink13

Reaction score
no problem..there is also some talk about extended life batteries for the droid but, as far as i know, no one has seen one yet...

here are acouple of more interesting links...

Truth about Battery Charging - Android Forums

Charging lithium-ion batteries

a lot of that last one goes right over my head but this is interesting...

"However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation"
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/22650-truth-about-battery-charging.html