1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid X2 Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Mar 13, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

In a letter to a Droid X 2 customer who made a Better Business Bureau complaint, shows that the DX2 will not be being seeing the Ice Cream Sandwich that is expected to roll-out to a variety of Verizon's Droid handsets. The message in it's entirety reads:

Perhaps it's the "low" amount of RAM that the X2 shipped with, but whatever the reason it is sure to be a letdown to X2 owners. 6 month old Android smartphone not being upgraded to the latest and greatest is quite a letdown in Android land. Droid X2 owners sound off. Were you expecting the upgrade, and how does this leave you feeling with Motorola?

Via: Phonearena
  2. huskur

huskur New Member

Personally i didn't think there would be any 3G devices getting ICS. There are a couple but i don't remember which ones.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I swear I saw a list from Moto/Verizon indicating that the DX2 would get ICS. How much you wanna bet its to stop the DX from getting a working camera in ICS roms. Roms definitely help users to put off buying a new phone when they can get the new software on their existing phones. I'm done with Moto. I am sadly stuck with Verizon as its much better in my area than AT&T is these days, but Moto has lost my business.
  4. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

the majority of the world will not care about this . the less than 1% who visit forums will likely care. i know several X2 owners .. none of them even know what ICS is.. or a bootloader for that matter. i wager for those who want it it will be ported over by a dev.
  5. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Specs have nothing to do with it. They're just using it to cover up the real reason, which is probably along the lines of the X2 didn't sell well enough to warrant it.
  6. ExodusC

ExodusC New Member

I think I'm done with Motorola. I've owned a few handsets, and nothing matches up to the Droid 1, simply because of the unlocked bootloader.

I think I will go with the Samsung Galaxy SIII as my upgrade, if it lives up to expectations.
  7. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

i agree
  8. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer Super Moderator Premium Member

Ya I don't foresee any 3G devices getting ICS officially. Sadly the DX2 and D3 were rushed out to capture a few more new customers. The Bionic should've been the DX2 and the D3 shouldn't have happened without being 4g.
  9. patfactorx

patfactorx New Member

We need more ROM devs
  10. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

My heart goes out to all you DX2 owners, but you had to see this coming!
    Why else were they giving this phone away with an upgrade and contract renewal?

The bottom line is, the phone works great with the OS currently on it.
    The newest and greatest won't be for free, or even $99.
  11. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

I thought it was already announced that the Inc2 and Rhyme are getting ICS.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  12. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The DINC 2 is supposed to be getting ICS...
  13. robert70

robert70 New Member

I don't really care either way, that's what roms are for,, if we get it we get it,,if we don't,,we roms it lol

Sent from my Rockin X2.
  14. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Member

Like someone else already mentioned...the MAJORITY don't even KNOW what Gingerbread is....or how to root your phone...or what a bootloader is....or even benefits of ICS (or even what ICS is!!!!)

This reminds me of when I had my D1. When the update well was running dry...and 2.2 wasn't guaranteed....I didn't care. I had this website. And whenever I would speak about this stuff w/regular folk, they'd look at me like I was some super technical wiz. And I'd look at them like "Why don't you care....oh...."

So I'm sure DX2 users ain't crying rivers honestly. If you are, you probably already know a few sources in which you can get this the moment the bootloader is ready for it
  15. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

This is correct...they are scheduled to get it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  16. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

The x2 is my first motorola smartphone...and my last, though it has nothing to do with ics. It has everything to do with:

1-constant lag, for a "dual core processor", thing lags more than my original epic.

2-the screen....lol the screen, wth was motorola thinking with this screen? My original epic s screen blew this away.

3-all this motorola bloatware was/is horrible, really....wth was motorola doing? My old %%% iphone makes this ui look amazing, and dont even like ios.

-wtb: my samsung epic or iphone 4 back.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  17. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

If your DX2 is rooted, I'd suggest clearing the cache (regular+Dalvik) every few weeks. I started doing it on my D3 a few weeks ago and I'm stunned that it's like having a new phone all over again. I'm not sure why it helps so much -- I can only imagine that I have a few frequently-used apps with cached data or precompiled code that go "stale."

-Matt
  18. Fall

Fall New Member

I simply don't understand this mentality that my Droid -7 should get Jelly Bean at launch. I understood the Droid X which took forever to get gingerbread which was promised. I understand if you eventually have a problem with Ice Cream Sandwich landing on the Droid Razr. The Droid X2 is a different story, not only is every phone on verizons list have more than 512mbs of ram, there were no promises of an update to ice cream sandwich nor does the phone have standard features like a front facing camera or 4G LTE to warrant Verizons attention. I think the real selling point of that phone was barbarically dual core. Although the Droid Charge which is also not getting Ice cream sandwich should be bigger news since it was Verizons pride and joy in place of the late Bionic even though it to is lacking basic ice cream sandwich features (dual core, 1gig ram). Another thing people should be more mad about is the Droid slide out series something that should of had Motorola and Verizons full attention.
  19. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie New Member

what matters is not what verizon thinks is needed, its what US, THE PEOPLE WHO PAY THEM want/need. Maybe people wouldnt be so upset if they werent stuck with a dead-end phone for another 18 months... if your RAZR never saw an update after 4.0.2 you would be just as mad. Moto screwed over their customers by releasing half-assed phones and now, coupled with verizon, are making sure customers will forever be weary of Motorola. The X2 was the last motorola phone i will ever own by choice (and i was a huge moto fanboy)

edit- if the D1, D2 and DX can run ICS then so can the DX2, and run it better it can. the Tegra 2 is a very good chipset and is used in many devices, no reason it cant run ICS flawlessly
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  20. music life

music life Member

i think i have to agree with people that the X2 will be my last moto phone.

My X2 lags like mad. sometimes it takes 30 seconds for the screen to turn on after i click the button. then a good 10 seconds for my code to register. by then i usually just put it down and walk away.
Search tags for this page
can the droid x2 run ice cream sandwich

droid x2 ice cream sandwich

milestone x2 ice cream
milestone x2 ice cream sandwich
motorola droid x2 update ice cream
will droid x 2 get ice cream sandwich
will dx2 have ics