Droid X2 wifi sleep policy doesn't work

jj1123

Reaction score
I like to keep wifi active all the time when at home. So, I set the wifi sleep policy to NEVER (advanced wifi option) but...when the screen goes dark, my wifi immediately disconnects. I confirmed this by pinging the ip address of my Droid x2 from a computer. When the screen is lit the wifi goes active and I get a reply to the pings. When the screen goes dark after the 30 sec screen timeout, the pings no longer work, and I am no longer connected via wifi or 3g. In fact, there is no data connection at all.

I even tried the other wifi sleep policy settings, but they don't seem to change a thing. Bottom line is when I am connected to wifi and the screen goes dark, I loose all data connectivity & loose the ability to receive gmail and Touchdown email notifications.

Is anyone else having this issue, or is it just me? Is it an issue with my hardware or the 2.3.4 software? Can someone please try and let me know? No matter how I set the wifi sleep policy in advanced wifi options, the connection is lost as soon as my screen times out.

On my original Droid X, it used to go back to 3g when the screen timed out when the sleep policy was set to "when screen turns off" Ony my DX2 it doesn't revert to 3g, it completly disconnects from wifi and I am left with no data connection.

On my original Droid X is used to stay connected to wifi when the screen timed out if the sleep policy was set to "never. On my DX2, it disconnects from wifi when the screen times out, and I am left with no data connection.

I just recevice the X2, upgraded from the Droid X. I used to have a Droid X and the "never" sleep policy option worked just perfectly. Why is it not working on the X2? I am running 2.3.4.

Is this happening to anyone else running 2.3.4, or is it just me????

droidx2girl

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and would like to know if there's any way to fix it. I have also downloaded alternative apps that are supposed to control the sleep policy, and they do not work as well.

rbreyes

Reaction score
Are you guys running any battery saver apps? Those things will drop connectivity when the screen locks, totally ignoring the wifi policy. Try turning your battery savers off and see that makes any difference.

OP
J

jj1123

Reaction score
Are you guys running any battery saver apps? Those things will drop connectivity when the screen locks, totally ignoring the wifi policy. Try turning your battery savers off and see that makes any difference.

Nope.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Are you sure? Sounds like you have maxium battery savings checked in settings. I did the same and checked performance mode and all the problems went away. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
J

jj1123

Reaction score
Are you sure? Sounds like you have maxium battery savings checked in settings. I did the same and checked performance mode and all the problems went away. Good luck.

Very interesting. Are you running Android version 2.3.4? How are you testing? I send myself an gmail from another computer to see if the notification LED blinks when the screen is off. It doesn't blink until several seconds or min after I turn on the screen. Also, I confirmed this issue by pinging the ip address of my x2. I only get replies when I turn on the screen.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I was but now I'm back with Froyo.

I tested by sending an old e-mail that had a link I wanted on my phone. It only took a few seconds.
Of course I can't check it to verify.

ELH

Reaction score
I'm running 2.3.4 and using Gmail and do not have this issue. I always receive Gmail notifications within seconds. I can also ping mine after the screen times out. The only time my wifi seems to sleep, based on the battery usage graph, is while I'm away from an autoconnect wifi source, but even then I still get Gmail notifications.

Do you have the background data setting enabled?

Last edited:
OP
J

jj1123

Reaction score
I'm running 2.3.4 and using Gmail and do not have this issue. I always receive Gmail notifications within seconds. I can also ping mine after the screen times out. The only time my wifi seems to sleep, based on the battery usage graph, is while I'm away from an autoconnect wifi source, but even then I still get Gmail notifications.

Do you have the background data setting enabled?

Wow, thanks for the info. Yes, I have background data enabled. I don't know what to think at this point. I did a factory reset, checked every setting, but wifi still sleeps. Hard to believe that this is a hardware issue with the device, but I don't know what else to think...

ELH

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure what else to say, if you did a factory reset that should have put it back to square one, and I'm using default settings for the most part, don't like to wander too far off the trail...

Only other thing I can think of is if you're using the power widget to control these settings, I've noticed that if you turn off sync it kills the underlying background data setting, but when you turn sync back on the background data setting remains off, need to actually go in and check it.

wendee2150

Reaction score
I have the same issue and have whined about it for 4 months (as long as I've had my phone.) I'm on the 150MB plan by choice and every time my phone locks, the wifi shuts off and I use data just turning the phone back on. It also auto updates in the night, of course because the phone is turned off, so is the wifi. :(

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

ELH

Reaction score
Didn't think about the data plan, guess it could make a difference, if it matters I'm on the elcheapo unlimited for $29.99

Maybe VZ is killing wifi for those who are paying by the MB?

Last edited:

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Maybe VZ is killing wifi for those who are paying by the MB?

I wouldn't start with the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories yet. It's simply a bug in the phones software, and furthermore it only seems to affect some people and not others.

Bentile1

Reaction score
Same problem on droidx

I'm having the same problem on my original droid x ever since 2.3.4 was pushed through. I had no problem at all, but after the update, It seems like my wifi sleep even though I have it set to never sleep. Very frustrating--burning through my 3g allowance, Especially the day I decided to enjoy some Pandora and I did not realize that my wifi was not on. Then, once I wake the phone back up, the wifi does not automatically connect (usually) I have to go back into the settings and scan for the network.
I think this is a gingerbread thing. any thoughts on whether going back to froyo will fix this????

Pdizzles

Reaction score
There is an app in the Verizon app store that automatically turns your wifi on when you are in range of your chosen hotspots. When you leave it turns back on your 3g. Check it out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums