Droid X2 to nexus

Slider11

Reaction score
I currently have and have owned my Droid x2 for almost 2 years. I have been thinking about upgrading to the nexus. can anyone point out some pros and cons for me?

kevincat

Reaction score
Pros and Cons

Ive never owned a DX2, but I have a Nexus. Battery life is a possible con to getting the nexus. Thats about the only cons to it. The Nexus also has LTE, more RAM, a faster CPU, a better GPU(faster phone and better gaming.) and an AWESOME 1280x720 SuperAMOLED screen. but thats about all i can think of

OP
S

Slider11

Reaction score
I have a regular battery and an extended battery for my x2. I can kill both just listening to music and browsing web for maybe an hour... any battery is an upgrade in my situation

Reaction score
I just went from the original X to the GNex...............no looking back for me. It's an overall better phone, kills the X in every way.

I have the 2100 battery and it makes it thru the day most of the time, unless I'm using the phone a lot for stuff during the day.....then I just plug it in.

Steve

myriad46

Reaction score
Are you sure you mean the X2 or are you sure you mean 2 years? The X2 was released on May 26th, 2011. I know it feels like a long time. I too have been suffering. Although development has been better than it could be, the lack of an unlocked bootloader and now official denial of ICS kind of put the nail in the coffin for me. Not to mention that since the introduction of the next gen phones (One X, SGS III, etc), you can readily pick up a used LTE GNex for under $400 with accessories.

Cons for you seem like battery life. If you are burning through your X2 extended in a few hours, you're going to be screwed with LTE. Your only option would be to get an unofficial extended battery. Something like the Seidio 3800 mah. It's going to add some significant bulk, however. You may also want to consider the RAZR Maxx. It's going to get official ICS, but sadly no unlocked bootloader. I think I'm done with Motorola. They are way to resistent to the darker side of Android, contrasted with HTC's bootloader unlocking promises.

Spec wise, minus the battery, GNex will be a great upgrade to the X2. Faster better chip, better screen.

Good Luck!

roshambo14

Reaction score
I too have a DX2 and am debating on getting the Nexus. Its $49.99 on Amazon right now (upgrade price). My only hesitation is that I read some reviews saying the radio isn't so hot in fringe areas. I live in a valley and get spotty reception with my DX2. I can text just fine wherever I am, but voice is very hit or miss. Am I looking at worse reception with the Nexus compared to my DX2?

myriad46

Reaction score
I too have a DX2 and am debating on getting the Nexus. Its $49.99 on Amazon right now (upgrade price). My only hesitation is that I read some reviews saying the radio isn't so hot in fringe areas. I live in a valley and get spotty reception with my DX2. I can text just fine wherever I am, but voice is very hit or miss. Am I looking at worse reception with the Nexus compared to my DX2?

In my experience, any newer phone generally has slightly better reception. Newer antenna design and software. Some poeple have reported "radio issues" with the 4.0.2 firmware. People are also reporting that this is largely fixed with the 4.0.4 firmware, which is officially rolling out right now, but is easily flashable. Some people are also reporting no problems at all. Also, LTE is not 3G. Do you have it in your area? Do you know anyone else that has 4G currently that could vouch for its coverage in your area? All that being said, if you are having 3G problems with your X2, I wouldn't expect a miracle of 3G service with a new phone.

I would also caution you against jumping into a contract with GNex, now. You can get them used for under $400, which sounds like a lot, but resale on a Nexus device should be pretty good. Next generation phones will be coming out this summer (One X and SGSIII), and who knows what will come out next year. Further, there are rumors about Google selling other nexus devices through their store this Fall. They'll more than likely be GSM, but may just be worth leaving Verizon for. Your call. If you were going to pay $650 for a GNex I can see how that would be a too much, but for $350, it seems to not be a good choice to get locked up for another 2 years. Just my 2 cents.

roshambo14

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have LTE in my area, but I havent really inquired as to what the reception is like. Only a couple of my friends have LTE phones, and one of them is a Thunderbolt, which as Im sure you know had its fair share of problems. My only thing is I am worried about my unlimited data plan. Id like to get into another contract before they end it and force me into one of their new shared plans. I dont really have $350 for a phone right now, but $49.99 is a whole different story. 3G speeds are really wearing on me when trying to stream music or movies, so I am wanting to get an LTE phone. I like the fact that the Nexus runs an unskinned version of ICS, which is the main reason I am leaning towards it. My DX2 has actually been a really good phone. If it werent for the fact that it isnt LTE, I would probably not even be in the market at this time.

HTC1

Reaction score
The thunderbolts problems are long gone. Ive tried almost every phone and now a days the thunderbolt is the most reliable