Droid X2 support of global networks?

dnargsiefil

Reaction score
Does anyone know of future droid phonessupporting global networks rather then just CDMA? I love my Droid X, but when I go overseas I always have to dig out my Storm1 and well just say... that comes with a lot of limitations :-(

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Does anyone know of future droid phonessupporting global networks rather then just CDMA? I love my Droid X, but when I go overseas I always have to dig out my Storm1 and well just say... that comes with a lot of limitations :-(

None of the leaks for the X2 have indicated global support. With the release seeming to be nearly upon us, I guess we'll find out for sure before too long. Right now the global Droids are the Droid 2 Global, the Droid Pro, and the Droid Incredible 2. The Droid 3 will be global as well when it's released.

OP
D

dnargsiefil

Reaction score
yeah I know about the currently available global options. Would any of the LTE phones support more global connectivity? Like the Droid Charge?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
yeah I know about the currently available global options. Would any of the LTE phones support more global connectivity? Like the Droid Charge?

The only way would be via LTE, but there really aren't many (if any) LTE networks deployed around the world. Even then, I'm not sure how the bands match up.

None of the current or immediately upcoming LTE phones will work on GSM 3G though.

OP
D

dnargsiefil

Reaction score
thanks, yeah I kind off figured that ...
Well last time I checked with Verizon on that issue, they did offer to "lease" like a Droid 2 global for the time of my trip... I think it is free (kind of don't belief that quite yet) ... but there was a limit in the amount of days you can lease it ...
I know for sure that I'm not digging out teh storm again...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well last time I checked with Verizon on that issue, they did offer to "lease" like a Droid 2 global for the time of my trip... I think it is free (kind of don't belief that quite yet) ... but there was a limit in the amount of days you can lease it ...

That is true. If you have a non-global smartphone, Verizon will give you a global smartphone to use internationally for a time. Your only problem there is that you'll have to use the SIM card they provide for international roaming, which means you'll get charged an arm and a leg for everything you do on the phone. With a global phone of your own, you can get the SIM slot unlocked which will allow you to use a local SIM card from the country you're traveling to. It's incredibly cheaper. That's what I always do when I leave the country. I'm not about to pay the ridiculous prices that Verizon charges for international roaming.

OP
D

dnargsiefil

Reaction score
Good point, I just checked on that and yes, there is the potential to save quite a bit of money...

rushmore

Reaction score

That is true. If you have a non-global smartphone, Verizon will give you a global smartphone to use internationally for a time. Your only problem there is that you'll have to use the SIM card they provide for international roaming, which means you'll get charged an arm and a leg for everything you do on the phone. With a global phone of your own, you can get the SIM slot unlocked which will allow you to use a local SIM card from the country you're traveling to. It's incredibly cheaper. That's what I always do when I leave the country. I'm not about to pay the ridiculous prices that Verizon charges for international roaming.

Not as easy to get sim cards like that nowadays due to idiots liking to blow stuff up. I do believe you need to submit a passport and then wait for approval. Not practical unless in a country beyond a week.

Zecpull

Reaction score
You can always Wifi and Skype in other countries .. Thats what my Friends from Canada do. It is much easier than worrying about Foreign Charges.