Droid X2 Selling Today In-Stores?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Like the X2 and am thinking of upgrading from the X.

Intriguing though, is the keyboard description from the Verizon website:

Keyboard

• Touch screen QWERTY Keyboard
  • Physical slide out QWERTY Keyboard
  • backlit key
A physical keyboard? I looked at all the views and there's no pic of a physical slide out keyboard. Also, where the heck would they put it? Darn thing is too skinny! :icon_eek:

What would you benefit from this besides a better processor and a slightly higher res screen? It's not like the Droid X is a slouch or anything.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I would advise calling a store before swinging by. I just called the one store that is open this morning here, and they do not have it. They actually didn't even believe me when I said it launched online today and had to check for themselves, but they told me they do not have it in stock yet. That store opened at 9am, I'll be calling the others that open at 10 later.

I read a article that said some stores will be selling it today, but most stores won't release it until May 26.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I would advise calling a store before swinging by. I just called the one store that is open this morning here, and they do not have it. They actually didn't even believe me when I said it launched online today and had to check for themselves, but they told me they do not have it in stock yet. That store opened at 9am, I'll be calling the others that open at 10 later.

I read a article that said some stores will be selling it today, but most stores won't release it until May 26.

It looks like non-corporate stores are the ones that are most likely to have it today.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have not pulled the trigger yet on Droid, but will soon. Coming from Palm Treo. I have spend weeks finding a reasonable way to move all my 12+ years of data from Palm to a new phone. I have a plan now. It's not as easy as Palm desktop was, but close enough. And, best of all, not linked to Outlook or iTunes. And no cloud, what a security nightmare that is. My data is staying in MY control.

Anyway, I am hesitant due to all the complaints I see about battery time. My current phone will go for a week without charging. Then again I don't use it much and never surf with it. It would assume that since the X2 has 2 processors the battery life will be even worse. Comments ?

Last I saw the D3 will be August. I don't want to wait that long. My Palm is getting flaky.

Your days of getting a week's battery life are going to be LONG gone.. no matter what smart phone you buy.

lol....pretty much.

The DX2 has the same rated talk time as the DX 1, it also has the same size battery so it might be safe to say there wont be a worse hit on battery life compared to the DX1.

The DX1 has one of the best battery lives for a current Android phone, but it isnt nowhere near a week unless you barely use the phone. I think with no use at all I could get 2+ days on the DX1, maybe.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You mean the original Droid X with a dual core processor, no LTE support and a higher res screen that won't even stand out versus the original........I think most people with the Droid X can agree they will pass. The exception are those who just like to have the latest technology.
The X2 is also supposed to do mirror mode for HDMI. Even tho Gman did a great job with Real HDMI app with the limits he had on the DX1, I think ppl that used his app will appreciate the mirror mode greatly.

Is those things enough to get a DX2 of you already have a DX1? I dont know, but ppl that do get the DX2, whether they had the DX1 or not should be pleased. Overall the DX1 was a nice phone out the box. Not too many phones from last year were on Verizon.

When I found out VOIP wont be mainstream for most LTE phones until at least 2012 I didnt see the appeal for LTE anymore. I want LTE for the supposedly better reception, not the up/down speeds. Although it would be nice to see if we can talk and browse the web at the same time with the current LTE.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although it would be nice to see if we can talk and browse the web at the same time with the current LTE.

You can now without LTE, if it's built into the chipset - which it is on the Thunderbolt, and I'm assuming the Charge as well. It's not highly advertised b/c it's, supposedly, not real stable. But the few times I've used it it's worked fine.

edit: for more info, check here - it's the SVDO technology, or added chip, that makes it possible...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Theoretically, the DX2 should actually get better battery life than the original DX since it is running a dual-core processor, which inherently, is less power hungry. If thats the case, then I can see a DX2 that I would own going from my normal 24+ hourse between charges to greater than 30+ hours based on my usage statistics on the stock battery. To me, thats a fairly worthwhile increase, and my projections are on the reserved side...:)

No FFC and no LTE are moot points to me. LTE will not be in my area for atleast another 12-18 months, and thats being conservative. Right now in Alabama there are only 3 LTE coverage areas, and the closest I am to any of them is still 50 miles....far outside the estimated "5 mile extended radius" of coverage.

FFC, still requires someone else to be using a FFC in rder for the service to make any sense as far as hand-helds go. Skype is really the only avenue that makes any real sense, and with the proliferation of laptops and netbooks with built-in webcams, I really dont see this as a true selling point. I know its touted on the iPhone, but really, how many people do you see stumbling around talking to each other on Face Time? This is only a good idea if you are sitting down and not actually mobile...which begs the question as to why it is on a "mobile device"..senseless to me...

My opinion...scrap the FFC, as thats one less piece of useless crap that can affect my battery life, as well as one less piece of hardware that may fail later on. Scrap the LTE radio since I dont have coverage now, nor will I in the next foreseeable future, and that too wont be affecting my battery life. Take the money you spent trying to shove this stuff in the frame, and instead spend it on increasing the reception to the point that I can actually talk while underwater(so far thats about the only place I figure I cant talk on my DX, cause I can talk everywhere else I have been..lol), make the camera faster and less likely to white-washing(oh, they did that in the X2), and increase the performance of the stock battery(hmmf, dual-core should do that, again in the X2 already). Yeah, looks like Moto knows what I want in a good phone..cant help they dont know what others want in a good "new tech toy to brag to their friends about"...sorry.

Misphit917

Reaction score
I'm not buy the droid x because there is no front facing cam obviously moto is concerned with wowing people with a duo core not cool

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

blboyd

Reaction score
Just got back from the VZW store and they didn't even know it was launching soon. The lady was nice enough and went and looked it up. Then she realized that she could order it today but it wouldn't be in stores until the 26th.

Brandon

etx_droid

Reaction score
I'm not buy the droid x because there is no front facing cam obviously moto is concerned with wowing people with a duo core not cool

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

How many times have you actually seen somebody (movies/tv shows don't count) actually use the front facing camera? I'd much rather have a dual core proc than a ffc, but that's just me. That's the cool thing about Android...there should be one for everybody :)

Kryptyk

Reaction score
Stores here in Grand Rapids Mi have them on display, but they are only order only right now.
It will take up to 5 days to get your new phone so ya, released today to look at and order, but not to bring home.

Anyways, why would you go buy a "New" phone without 4g? Granted, awesome that it has a duel core, yes, but pretty disappointing that Moto is coming out with all these nice phones like DX2 and even the D3 coming soon without 4g. Oh well, still have hope for the Bionic....

I won't even have 4G in my area for a year or 2. So why not buy a 3G only phone? By the time I'm due for an upgrade, 4G will be my only choice. Until then, I'm more than happy to go with the X2. I would rather wait until the 4G service is 100% efficient & working too. Yeah it works, but I'm sure there's still bugs & maintenance to get worked out.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Yes, 4g is not everywhere, in fact, it is in a very limited part of the United States at the moment. I guess since I live in an area that has 4g, my comment was targeted towards those who have it available. If 3g is your only availability, then heck yes, this would be a nice phone besides it looking "Exactly" like the DX1. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Myself, and I am sure others would agree, buying a phone, where 4g is offered, would be stupid at this point. And really buying the newest and best is not always smart. Having technology like this come out that changes so quickly may be old in a month. But I guess if someone just kept waiting and waiting, they would never get a new phone...LOL.

beachbum25

Reaction score

Sent from my OGDROID using DroidForums

Its not worth having even if both phones are 4g. The quality is horrible with these phones using video chat. that is the 1 thing the apple clones have going for them...... face time. Just a gimmick for now.