Droid X2 Audio Stuttering, Popping and Skipping - Observation

bradleonard

Reaction score
Before you tell me that this subject has been discussed in detail on other threads (which I haven't been able to find), read what I've found.

I became aware of the Droid X2 audio issue too late after my return period to do anything about it. Now if I were return it I suppose I would probably get a refurb. But it sounds like the problems are on every unit, not just some.

Just so I am clear, these are the issues that I have experienced.
1. Occasional Pops in the audio when playing media from SD card or streaming from Pandora or Slacker.
2. Stuttering in the audio under the same conditions.
3. skipping and sometimes complete stopping of audio when playing music from the SD card.
4. Pandora and Slacker are almost worthless as they do not play for very long. They will play 3 or 4 songs and then they will start skipping and eventually stop all together. When you can get them to start again they will play part of a song and then skip to another song.

The only thing unique about my configuration is that my phone is rooted using Gingerbreak, i've frozen some non-essential apps and I am running Go Launcher with it's task killer widget.

As I have been trying to figure this problem out I have tried running the SuperCharger script. This script has helped with audio problems a little bit but my results have been ok at best.

Today I was driving and listening to music, I had the Go Launcher Task Killer Widget open. This widget shows what I assume to be total RAM available (404 Megs) and available RAM. I noticed that the music starts to skip and stutter when the available RAM gets lower which is usually below 100 megs and there are 10 apps in the tray that are supposedly running. When hit the "X" to kill all of apps the music will run perfectly until apps open up by themselves again. This occurs in about 3 or 4 minutes. When RAM is at its max usage it is between 53 and 34 megs.

As anyone else experienced this? Or found a way to improve audio playback quality overall?

I am reconsidering my reconsideration of using tasks killers. When I was running Simply Stunning on my Droid it was not necessary but the phone could also play audio without issue. I am just wondering if using a task killer would alleviate much of this problem with this phone.

Let me know your thoughts and observations.

Last edited:

shinyfryhole

Reaction score
I have experienced similar issues. I have found that the audio player will halt playing or the os will crash and reboot. I relate the audio stop to SMS apps that have integrated pop ups. I don't seem to experience theses issues outside of the use of a third party SMS app. Idk about Pandora, I related those issues to the poor signal in the gym.

Sent from my DROID X2

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
Before you tell me that this subject has been discussed in detail on other threads (which I haven't been able to find), read what I've found.
As anyone else experienced this? Or found a way to improve audio playback quality overall?

Took the same path as you, had terrible problems stock so I rooted/froze bloat and blur/supercharged script/different class SD cards. Helped somewhat, but after a few solid hours of playing music the problems surfaced again. By the time I finally gave up, I was on my 16th day, so I was SOL.

Since you state you could not find threads, here are three threads that I posted in with my problems and results:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x2-tech-support/148906-major-issues-my-x2-10.html#post1585456

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...e-considering-x2-must-read-2.html#post1592847

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-x2/154710-all-around-fail-x2-q-5.html#post1592770

In the end, I went back to stock and am currently waiting it out for Gingerbread. If that doesn't fix the issues, I'll pawn this off on my brother and use an upgrade to go Bionic or something.

p.s. You will find two camps here... one like us who have had issues with the phone, and the other camp who refuses to believe the issues exist. Either there is a large batch of bad phones out there, or the other camp just hasn't run into these issues yet.

gitarzan

Reaction score
Same Issue Here. Got a C4 32 gb Sans Disk Micro SD. Get the pops still.

It's made a hater out of me. :icon_evil:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

p.s. You will find two camps here... one like us who have had issues with the phone, and the other camp who refuses to believe the issues exist. Either there is a large batch of bad phones out there, or the other camp just hasn't run into these issues yet.
Based on what I have seen, you are 100% right about the X2's issues and perception

SSX v2.0

OP
B

bradleonard

Reaction score
I have continued to play around with different supercharger settings. Some have yielded better results than others, but none have come close to fully fixing the phone.

I would hope that an update would be coming out sometime soon.

Has anyone run any custom roms on an X2 yet?

gitarzan

Reaction score
Im using Power Amp and set the buffer to huge. That seems to have resolved it as far as mp3s are concerned. Can't say yet for Slacker, FMPlayer, et.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
B

bradleonard

Reaction score
I am currently using the "aggressive 2" supercharger setting. It is helping with lag, but audio is still glitchy. I've also tried a Task Killer for fun. It doesn't really help much I don't think. Pandora is working better although it still doesn't perform like my Droid did.

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
Im using Power Amp and set the buffer to huge. That seems to have resolved it as far as mp3s are concerned. Can't say yet for Slacker, FMPlayer, et.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

I haven't seen that as a potential solution yet, I may give that a try.

Given that Gingerbread is released today, I have some decisions to make... thankfully with the SBF available, we have some options now: 1) Try root and tinker with settings 2) If no better results, SBF back to stock and take OTA GB update.

I think I'll wait for feedback from folks taking GB before I decide.

EDIT: GB did NOT solve my music stutter issue.

Last edited:
OP
B

bradleonard

Reaction score
Poweramp as a replacement isn't a solution but if it works it is a work-around. It doesn't help with other apps such as Pandora and Slacker.

Gingerbread is only being released from Google today? I am pretty sure that Simply Stunning has been based on a Gingerbread leak for quite a while now.

Do we know if Gingerbread will be released for the Droid X2 anytime soon?