Droid X2 -- 3G Status Indicator Help?

jmbehrens

Reaction score
So I just got a Droid x2, and have been having some battery life/heat issues with it. I suspect something, either a rogue app or a hardware problem, might be using 3G in the background, because even when I use the phone the 3G indicator hardly ever blinks.

Problem is, I can't tell what "on" and "off" are on the 3G icon. I'm seeing almost constant black arrows, which occasionally change to gray. Does that mean its transmitting constantly or hardly at all? I get reasonable speeds while surfing over 3G.

Bottom line question, what do black and gray represent in the 3G icon in the status bar?

Thanks!

srvctec

Reaction score
The arrow pointing down is the indicator for downloading data and the arrow pointing up is for uploading data. When they are gray, no data activity is occurring. When they (either one or the other or both) are black, data transmission is currently being done.

edit: I downloaded Juice Defender from the Android Market and it works great to shut off data when the screen is off. Increased my battery life by quite a bit. Also, turn off GPS and location settings (there are 3) unless an app actually needs them Menu>Settings>Location & Security>uncheck the top 3 check boxes. I put a shortcut to this setting on my home screen to make it easy to enable/disable.

Last edited: