Droid X won't connect to home WiFi

SammyQ2

Reaction score
I have had my Droid X for about three weeks.

When I first brought my Droid home I was able to connect to my home wireless for about a day. Seemed to work fine.

Now, it is unable to connect. When I am on the settings page and tap on my WiFi network to Connect, it acts like it's working, then it says "Authenticating", then stops when it says "Disabled, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK".

I have tried visiting the Verizon store (no help), wrote directly to Motorola and they said to do a factory reset (no help) and just tried rebooting my home wireless router (no help).

Any suggestions from this knowledgeable crew?

Thanks.

droiddict

Reaction score
Same problem here. I've just been living with no WIFI at home but it is annoying. Everything else, including my dear D1 connects with no problems.

OP
S

SammyQ2

Reaction score
Now okay

I finally got mine going. Not quite sure how I did it though.

I did get connected at a hotel, then when I came home I could get on.

Keep trying, I'm glad I did.

rosem119

Reaction score
First try this. Go to settings, wireless, wifi settings. Tap your network, tap the Forget button. Then retry the setup.
If this doesn't work, try changing anything in your router settings, like changing the security from WPA2 to WPA. Save and then change back to WPA2.
One note--these phones do not like WEP.

Sent from my DROID2

droiddict

Reaction score
I did try the forget and reconnect routine one more time after posting and it has worked through a sleep this morning. We'll see if it continues. Searching finds mostly the X with this problem. I suspect in my case, I could fix it with a new router, but as long as everything else that I run connects OK, seems like the X should too.

rosem119

Reaction score
I felt the same way but finally gave up and changed the router security knowing I would have to change 2 laptops, a netbook, a Tivo, an iPaq, an iPod Touch and a wireless printer. A pain, but only once.
Do you also have your phone's wifi sleep policy set to Never? If you don't, every time it sleeps, the wifi will shut off and it will have to reconnect. Putting it on never will save your battery because when it disconnects, it goes searching for the cell signal and that eats the battery. To check or change the sleep policy, go to settings, wireless, wifi settings, menu, advanced, wifi sleep policy. Change to never.
I had to do both of these things shortly after I got my phone and it has worked fine ever since.
Sent from my DROID2

thphoenix

Reaction score
Wireless entry gets disabled.

ok, for such an interesting phone on the shelf, the DroidX certainly has it's problems.

Can't keep the display on 24-7, otherwise the display dies when it cools down. (first 2 pixel lines only). Already had it replaced once, and due again. sheesh.

Probably the weirdest thing was my home network was appearing as "Disabled" and I didn't do anything..

So why?

Well, Belkin (and some other routers, but belkin mainly) has made a mistake in their DHCP programming. I've stopped trying to get them to fix it because I never get a decent response. Unfortunately, my current favorite Netgear is starting to follow the same path. (Very frustrating)

First, you must understand how it does the connection. (took quite a while to figure it out.)

Once it connects, it is assigned an address. your wireless symbol will appear bright white on the strength indicator.

Next, it will connect to your Google account. When successful, the icon turns blue.
(took me a long time to figure this one out.)

So what went wrong? Belkin's DHCP (and some others) will not resend the DHCP response when a device has already been assigned the address
Why? Windows-based systems will automatically maintain their address if they get no response. (truthfully, they probably never worked with anything but Microsoft devices.)

So why won't it work?

If it doesn't receive the IP address, it thinks the security settings are wrong. It will disconnect and try 2 more times.

After the third try, it will mark it Disabled.

So how do we fix this? Well, trying to get the attention of people making the cheapest wireless hosting devices on the market doesn't seem to be doing any good.
Second, I still haven't found an app that can switch to a static IP on specific networks, and the phone doens't support autoswitching correctly either.
-- Auto IP normally defaults to the static IP created, but because of how the Belking router responds, this fails.

You need to set a static address in order to use this router.

If I --EVER-- figure a better way around this, other than replacing the router, I will put it here.

Good luck, hopefully this helps others.

thphoenix

Reaction score
Found it..

Found a program that seems to handle it fine..

WiFi Auto Changer by ForestreeLab..

Long-click on your router, then check the box..

Finally, I don't have to remember to change the silly thing.. Now I hope I can find it for Kindle.