Droid X with new 32 GB microsd card will not boot

MetalMilitia

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Kingston 32 GB microsd card and installed it in my Droid X. I am now at the point where the Droid X will not get beyond the Motorola "M" startup screen when I restart it. I will tell the story as concisely as I can.

(1) After I first installed the 32 GB sdcard, I connected the Droid X to my PC (running Windows XP) using "USB Mass Storage" mode and copied a directory containing a number of .pdf files to the microsd card (I-drive). After confirming that the copy was successful by checking the directories (Lost.dir was empty as well), I used "safely remove hardware" to disconnect the Droid X from my computer.

(2) I then checked for the copied files using the ASTRO file browser and none of the files were present.

(3) I reconnected the Droid X to my PC and found that the files and folders I had copied were indeed missing from the microsd card, and many (but not all) were located in Lost.dir, with their extensions removed.

(4) I tried the copy again and again and it failed each time, same story.

(5) Frustrated, I wanted to start over again, so I reformatted the microsd card in FAT32 format using my PC.

(6) I then copied the files to the card again, "safely removed," the hardware, and found with ASTRO that the files were not present again.

(7) I then restarted the Droid X and it is now stuck on the Motorola "M" screen.

(8) If I substitute my old 16 GB card back into the Droid X it restarts perfectly, suggesting that this is a problem with the 32 GB microsd card.

Any ideas as to how to recover from this situation? It seems that the 32 GB microsd card does work, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to copy files to it on my PC in the first place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

maderschramm

Reaction score
does the dx boot with no sd card?

try booting the dx (either without sd or with 16 gig) with power directly connected and no battery

pull the sdcard you were using and replace it with the 32 gb one. (if there was no sdcard inserted just put in the new one)

format the 32gb sdcard with your phone's internal menu
settings -> sdcard and phone storage -> unmount -> format

once it's complete reboot to see if it still hangs on the m

OP
M

MetalMilitia

Reaction score
That is a great idea, maderschramm, but unfortunately the Droid X will not start up without a battery even when I have it plugged into my computer via USB, so I am unable to get the card swap to work. Do you know of another way to get power to the DX with no battery?

Thanks so much for your help.