Droid X will not charge

wdprice3

Reaction score
I've had the same issue for a few days now... well, the phone would indicate charging, but the battery level would never increase; only decrease with usage until the phone turned itself, mistakenly, into a paperweight.

1.) This exact issue may be replicated when the battery/phone overheats (especially when docked in a vehicle in the sun).

2.) It also happens, without cause, intermittently.

I've tried different cables and charging adapters, none of which fixed the problem. VZW had no answer and is shipping me a new device (though, this is probably S/W related... oh well). The only work-around (for me) has been hard resets, which are not always possible due to my phone liking the 20% battery state for some reason (each time this issue has popped up the phone was stuck at 20%, which is too low for the phone to do a hard reset via the settings menu). If this happens to you, you will need to do a hard reset from the hidden boot menu. And when I do a hard reset, the phone will not auto-program and I have to go in and manually enter the correct programming values.

PITA

I have been having similar problem with the car charger and docking station. The only remedy is to use the USB port on the car charger and connect through to the DX. I went back and forth with the Verizon tech in store with my problem. It seems it is a software glitch and it will be solved with the 2.2 update ( hopefully this wk!!!)

And your VZW TS is sure about this? When I contacted them, they had no clue on the issue and just shipped me a new phone. I'm hoping they didn't tell you this just to get you off the phone, off their back, and give you hope.

Ryder0442

Reaction score
I have noticed since I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer my problem has been greatly reduced. Now it's only been one day since I unistalled ATK so I might be just getting lucky since this is an intermittent problem for me but, so far I haven't had an issue since.
BTW- No I do not have the USB icon up.
OK figured it cant hurt, I uninstalled ATK and the battery app to see if it will work.

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
Installed the leaked Froyo but it did not fix it :(

Gumby x

Reaction score
I've had the same issue for a few days now... well, the phone would indicate charging, but the battery level would never increase; only decrease with usage until the phone turned itself, mistakenly, into a paperweight.

1.) This exact issue may be replicated when the battery/phone overheats (especially when docked in a vehicle in the sun).

2.) It also happens, without cause, intermittently.

I've tried different cables and charging adapters, none of which fixed the problem. VZW had no answer and is shipping me a new device (though, this is probably S/W related... oh well). The only work-around (for me) has been hard resets, which are not always possible due to my phone liking the 20% battery state for some reason (each time this issue has popped up the phone was stuck at 20%, which is too low for the phone to do a hard reset via the settings menu). If this happens to you, you will need to do a hard reset from the hidden boot menu. And when I do a hard reset, the phone will not auto-program and I have to go in and manually enter the correct programming values.

PITA

I have been having similar problem with the car charger and docking station. The only remedy is to use the USB port on the car charger and connect through to the DX. I went back and forth with the Verizon tech in store with my problem. It seems it is a software glitch and it will be solved with the 2.2 update ( hopefully this wk!!!)

And your VZW TS is sure about this? When I contacted them, they had no clue on the issue and just shipped me a new phone. I'm hoping they didn't tell you this just to get you off the phone, off their back, and give you hope.

It might be ! Since then i have been asked my the software tech on phone support to use a new extended battery and new wall charger and car dock.(I havent got those yet.) The only reliable way that i can charge the phone is by the USB computer port !!!

Gumby x

Reaction score
I have noticed since I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer my problem has been greatly reduced. Now it's only been one day since I unistalled ATK so I might be just getting lucky since this is an intermittent problem for me but, so far I haven't had an issue since.
BTW- No I do not have the USB icon up.
OK figured it cant hurt, I uninstalled ATK and the battery app to see if it will work.

I never used ATK, Still same problem. Hard reset once did not solve the issue.

Redroided

Reaction score
Droid X not charging

I was having an issue of the battery not charging and while searching found this forum. I tried things mentioned here and none worked. I am using a USB charger on my laptop. I decided to try shutting down and do the battery pull which did not work earlier. I forgot to turn my phone back on. About an hour later I realized I was not getting calls. I turned my phone back on and it is now charging again. Not sure if this will help anyone or if my phone is just intermittent but you may try.
Good Luck

pjg

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem as others with the phone simply not taking a charge. I have two different USB chargers and neither one works great. I have to spend 5 minutes jiggling the charger before it finally starts to work. My guess is that this is probably a hardware issue with the phone. If it is, it's going to be a real pain because this seems to be a fairly wide spread issue.

Aymal0088

Reaction score
My phone was plugged into the USB charger at work. It did not take the charge and now its dead. When I plug in the charger, the green light will come on after its dead and stay on and when I disconnect it the light stays on. After being in the charger for 2 hours with just the green light on, i disconnected it and turned it on. It was on for less then 5 minutes and then turned off again not charging.
What should I do?

Gumby x

Reaction score
My phone was plugged into the USB charger at work. It did not take the charge and now its dead. When I plug in the charger, the green light will come on after its dead and stay on and when I disconnect it the light stays on. After being in the charger for 2 hours with just the green light on, i disconnected it and turned it on. It was on for less then 5 minutes and then turned off again not charging.
What should I do?

Having similar problem. The only reliable way my DX charges is with the USB cable attached to my laptop. Tried 3 different wall chargers, couple of car chargers, changed batteries and even replaced phone once. It seems to be a soft ware issue. It starts to charge for the first couple of minutes and then disconnects ( Gives a message of disconnection,that i should unplug the charger from the wall outlet to conserve battery !!) Did a hard reset couple of times reluctantly, did not work. Talked with data tech (support) on phone many times, all they offer now is a replacement phone (again). They have no clue . Any body out there to help???

BigHG

Reaction score
My DX charges fine with the usb cable or the wall charger. The motorola car charger is another story. It shows that it is charging including the % level of charge, but it never does. Infact I left it on while connected to the car charger and level went from 50% to 40%.