Droid X will not charge

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by Garnold, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Garnold

Garnold New Member

So my droid x won't charge anymore when plugged into a droid charger? It knows its plugged into a charger but won't charge. If I take my ipad charger and use that then I see the lightning bolt and it works. This is happening on both my normal wall charger and my desk dock. The car dock works but that also is not using a droid plug but another one. Any idea? Do you think the battery got messed up somehow?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  2. 713King

713King New Member

Take it to verizon store and see what they say, and im sure they will switch it out for you
  3. Vinyl66

Vinyl66 New Member

I have the same issue. It's very intermittent. My wife and I both have Droid X and her's never shows this problem. I'll plug my droid into the wall charger While the charger is already plugged in and the screen lights back up however does not indicate that it's taking a charge. I have noticed once I unplug the wall charger and plug it back into the wall the phone says it's charging and shows the lightning bolt.
  4. Garnold

Garnold New Member

The un-plug re-plug trick only worked so long for me. Now nothing Droid will charge my phone. My wife has a Droid and her charger will not work for me either. Very strange that any other charger will work just fine? I'll call Verizon but really don't know what they can do but send me a new Droid X. Even if they send me a new charger I know it won't help :( Maybe a new battery? I'd hate to have to transfer all my apps to a new Droid X. Kind of a pain.
  5. Vinyl66

Vinyl66 New Member

Please update with whatever Verizon does for a fix. I am also concered that I'll just have to deal with setting up another Droid X.
  6. Garnold

Garnold New Member

Right now I have been just using other wall outlet to usb adapters that seem to work. It's not just the Droid ones either that don't seem to work. I had one from another phone that I tried and the same thing happened. It showed the USB icon in the task bar and turned the phone on and off but no bolt. For some reason the only ones that are working off the wall outlet are the ones for my iPhone? Talk about a strange one right?
  7. Vinyl66

Vinyl66 New Member

It's scary how similar our problem is I'm using my old BB storm chargers lol
  8. Garnold

Garnold New Member

Are you also seeing the USB icon up in your task bar for no reason as well? I have wifi off and it's not plugged in though the icon is showing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. Vinyl66

Vinyl66 New Member

I have noticed since I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer my problem has been greatly reduced. Now it's only been one day since I unistalled ATK so I might be just getting lucky since this is an intermittent problem for me but, so far I haven't had an issue since.
    BTW- No I do not have the USB icon up.
  10. Garnold

Garnold New Member

No change on my end :(
  11. Garnold

Garnold New Member

Ok a quick note. I just called VZW and told them my situation. They really don't know what to do so here are my next steps.

1. Wait for OS update and see if that fixes it
    2. Try a hard reset and see if that fixes it
    3. Call VZW and ask for next steps (maybe replacement phone?)

At least now I have it documented so if I call back later I have something to fall back on.
  12. kdkinc

kdkinc New Member

the first thing they'll do is have you do a factory reset. You might as well do one and scratch it from the list....
    Hope all goes well just do your backups before the reset..

Also FIRST do a repair on the Motorola driver or a new install of the drivers they control your USB also.
  13. Gumby x

Gumby x New Member

Droid X charging problem

I have been having similar problem with the car charger and docking station. The only remedy is to use the USB port on the car charger and connect through to the DX. I went back and forth with the Verizon tech in store with my problem. It seems it is a software glitch and it will be solved with the 2.2 update ( hopefully this wk!!!)
  14. Kungfutrip

Kungfutrip New Member

I was having the same problem - are yours getting really hot even when you aren't doing anything with it?

I noticed that with mine when the no charge problem happened it would just get ridiculously hot when the phone was turned on and doing nothing, plugged in or not.

The problem for me has gone away though, at least for a few days now. I put back all of the bloatware I had removed, unrooted, and made sure no apps other than stock were running services. (For example, Titanium Backup had a service process)

I also removed and reinstalled my battery.

Not sure what exactly fixed the problem or if it will continue to work correctly, but at the moment it's behaving.

With the way mine was heating up, it seems like a process or some piece of code was unhappy and maxing the processor and since it's working now I'm at least somewhat hopeful it's a bug somewhere, not a physical defect with the battery?
  15. Gumby x

Gumby x New Member

No, mine was not getting hot. It just wont take a charge. Impossible to use in the car long distance as navigation would eat the battery up quickly and phone would be useless on a trip. Surprisingly Motorola knows about the problem , but no fix yet 6 wks after launch
  16. wdprice3

wdprice3 New Member

I've had the same issue for a few days now... well, the phone would indicate charging, but the battery level would never increase; only decrease with usage until the phone turned itself, mistakenly, into a paperweight.

1.) This exact issue may be replicated when the battery/phone overheats (especially when docked in a vehicle in the sun).

2.) It also happens, without cause, intermittently.

I've tried different cables and charging adapters, none of which fixed the problem. VZW had no answer and is shipping me a new device (though, this is probably S/W related... oh well). The only work-around (for me) has been hard resets, which are not always possible due to my phone liking the 20% battery state for some reason (each time this issue has popped up the phone was stuck at 20%, which is too low for the phone to do a hard reset via the settings menu). If this happens to you, you will need to do a hard reset from the hidden boot menu. And when I do a hard reset, the phone will not auto-program and I have to go in and manually enter the correct programming values.

PITA

And your VZW TS is sure about this? When I contacted them, they had no clue on the issue and just shipped me a new phone. I'm hoping they didn't tell you this just to get you off the phone, off their back, and give you hope.
  17. Ryder0442

Ryder0442 New Member

OK figured it cant hurt, I uninstalled ATK and the battery app to see if it will work.
  18. Garnold

Garnold New Member

Installed the leaked Froyo but it did not fix it :(
  19. Gumby x

Gumby x New Member

It might be ! Since then i have been asked my the software tech on phone support to use a new extended battery and new wall charger and car dock.(I havent got those yet.) The only reliable way that i can charge the phone is by the USB computer port !!!
  20. Gumby x

Gumby x New Member

I never used ATK, Still same problem. Hard reset once did not solve the issue.
Search tags for this page
droid x battery won't charge
droid x battery wont charge

droid x not charging

droid x says its charging but its not

droid x will not charge

droid x won't charge

droid x wont charge

motorola droid 4 won't charge
motorola droid x not charging
motorola droid x wont charge
my droid won't charge
my droid x won't charge
my droid x wont charge
what would cause a droid x not to charge?
why is my droid x not charging