Droid X vs Incredible

setotitan

Reaction score
Hey all I'm taking the plunge and deciding to let go of my iPhone. From what I've been hearing Android is finally on the level to be a competitor and is well on it's way to surpassing Apple. Making the reason for me to hang on to my iPhone is a status symbol.. which is a bull**** reason. I've been doing my research and the Droid X is a multimedia beast! However the downside is it's not rootable, meaning I'll be limited to what it can do. My question is should I go with the Incredible to take advantage of root? Or is the Droid X pretty badass in itself and will be a great buy even if I have to wait a month or so before it's cracked? I know obviously it's a personal decision, but I'm hoping being an Android virgin I can get some input from some more seasoned users. Thanks in advance!

mrgoochio

Reaction score
there is no guarantee that the X will be hacked cracked rooted or w/e.. the incredible just got hacked and is slowly picking up some development. if you really want to tinker, moto droid is your best bet. i just got a droid within the last month with the chance at getting the incredible at the same price, so you know where my choice lies. all three are sweet phones though, just gotta decide what you want to do and run with it

phoenix316

Reaction score
I have a droid and my has the incredible.

The droid has a slightly better screen, but the incredible is faster on all fronts.

I personally have envy of her phone, but she needs the better camera for picture of our 1 year old, so I gave her the incredible after I used it for 2 weeks.

All I ever use root for is Wireless Tether and LEDs Hack for bedside.

I would honestly get an Incredible after using both phone.

I am just waiting for a 2 GHz 1GB RAM phone before I upgrade (probably next year, late.)

mrgoochio

Reaction score
I have a droid and my has the incredible.

The droid has a slightly better screen, but the incredible is faster on all fronts.

I personally have envy of her phone, but she needs the better camera for picture of our 1 year old, so I gave her the incredible after I used it for 2 weeks.

All I ever use root for is Wireless Tether and LEDs Hack for bedside.

I would honestly get an Incredible after using both phone.

I am just waiting for a 2 GHz 1GB RAM phone before I upgrade (probably next year, late.)

is your droid overclocked? i haven't done any type of extensive testing, but is the incredible's shutter speed faster or lens sharper than the droids? 5mp vs 8mp means absolutely nothing but higher resolutions. even 3mp is more than enough. do you print your photos from the phone or just for computer viewing?

video is another story though, apparently the incredible kills the droid there

billyanks2

Reaction score
This is my first time posting, but I'm happy to be able to contribute to the forums on this topic, because the research I did before buying my droid x was primarily done through this forum. I went through this debate for a while. In fact, I ordered a droid incredible, which was set to ship on July 14th, when I called to check it's status, they told me it was delayed again, so I waited on line at the story on the morning of the 15th to change to a droid x.

My experience with the incredible doesn't go beyond playing with it for about 10 minutes in the store, but based on my understanding of the two devices, I'm happy with my decision.

Most reviews leave the deciding factor as the screen size saying that if you don't mind it being very big then you'll appreciate the screen size of the x. I have tiny hands, and I can tell you, the droid x is a very manageable size.

There's four things that I can directly think of that I wish the x had that the incredible does have:
1) The ability to pinch and see all 7 home screens at once. It's not a major feature by any means, but if you feel like you'd get very frustrated swiping back and forth, it's something to consider.
2) The camera on the incredible has a lot more fine-tuning features (like contrast and saturation). Mix that with the fact that it also will be getting 720p imminently.
3) Scenes. I'm not sure I would actually use that feature, but I do know that it might be useful to have one scene for while I'm at work, and another for while I'm on the train.
4) Sense ui has you unlock the phone by swiping down, while motorola's ui has you swipe across, no matter the size of the phone, I've found that swiping down is easier.

Having said that, as I said before, I'm very glad I got the x. Here's a few reasons
1) Though I haven't used the Incredible to make a call, it's my understanding that clarity is better on the x (the noise cancelling mic helps with that). I've never heard a clearer phone call than the ones I've had on my x
2) The dedicated camera button is actually a pretty important factor. The best camera is not just the one you have with you, it's the one that you can get ready instantly.
3) I love the big screen.
4) While verizon clearly hasn't given up on the incredible, the X is it's flagship device, and that means verizon will be better equipped to support you with any trouble that may arise from a droid x, than they would with an incredible
5) though this will eventually be available for the incredible, swype is the coolest thing ever, and i like having it NOW, instead of waiting till i get the incredible, and then waiting till the beta reopens.
6) My battery life on my x has been pretty short, but that's probably because i've been way way overusing it (it's my first smartphone), but allegedly battery life on the incredible is worse.
7) At this point getting froyo sooner appears to be a wash, but it may be a different story when it comes time for gingerbread

I don't want to go into any more detail because I'm not sure I'd be demonstrating contrasts between the phones. One pet peeve i have about the droid x (that I'd love resolved or directed to a relevant forum post) is that once in a while when i link contacts (linking a phone number to a twitter account) the twitter account's name will be the display name. I can still search for any part of the name, but the display name is still the twitter account.

R24D24

Reaction score
Just got my X after having the Inc at launch, and moto droid before that. I don't think the moto droid can even be compared to the other 2 at this point. While I think you could make an argument for the X or Inc, I am a fan of the X already.

Again, either the inc or X are a great choice. You aren't getting a bad phone to go moto droid, but it is getting dated fast, and with the moto droid 2 coming soon, I think anyone that purchases it now with access to the others isn't very smart.

mrgoochio

Reaction score
what makes the inc that much ahead of the moto droid in your opinion? a blanket statement like "i think anyone that purchases it now with access to the others isn't very smart" without any sort of explanation doesn't exactly scream intelligent either lol

sjones765

Reaction score
I have a Dinc as well as the DX. It really comes down to size in my opinion. I would suggest going into a store and playing with both. A lot of the differences are kind of minimal at this point. I'm a big guy (6'2) and the DX fits very well, and playing with my DInc feels small (insert comments here). The screen size of the DX is great, and can use one hand.

At first I really didnt like the DX UI. Still dont but is usable. I loved HTC sence... but using Launcher pro Plus (pay attention to the plus) has given me everything I liked about the DInc.
On the DX -
You can pinch to zoom to 7 screens using launcher.
He is coming up with widgets that work pretty close to the same as sense.
Call quality is better
Have voice dialing via blue tooth again . At this point I do not on the DInc but may with froyo.
Screen (I assume) will be very similar now, although on the original DInc the screen is amazing.

Camera is really cool on the DX, panorama is really awesome. And yes you can be more precise with the DInc but if you need to be that percise I'd suggest using a stand alone camera.

Both phones are extremely responsive and will be even better when 2.2 comes out. Gingerbread? I can't imagine we wouldn't get that as well.

As far as rooting the phone. Keep in mind, more than likely something will be found to allow some sort of access. But more importantly VZW will be going online with LTE next year. So ask yourself, realistically will you really have this phone more than a year or maybe even less?
Long way to get to my point, but really go play in store with both and see for yourself. They are basically the same phones just one supersized.

Last edited:

Geovone

Reaction score
I glad at this point, I chose the HTC incredible over the X but only time will tell

-Geo

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And the current OTA has made some improvements for some ppl:

The texts is sharper in the browser, camera is faster, some ppl say the X is faster and snappier, one person says the volume is louder...lol

I am tempted to find out about the volume, but I'm trying to hold out updating for possible root.

Both the Inc and X are good phones. Both have their pros and cons. To me, the X has hardware pros over the Inc; the Inc has software pros over the X.

Last edited:

kmasum

Reaction score
I currently have Droid..picking up Droid X in the afternoon!!! I am a fan of big screen..not into keyboard. .so yes I am very very anxious to get my X. ..I heard new update fixed some of issues ppl were having before

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sjones765

Reaction score
I really only saw a difference in opening the camera app. Check out launcher pro plus and dialer one. love the phone now

Last edited:

Auditor_Kevin

Reaction score
If you're going to be using the spectacular GPS navigation that comes with both the DInc and the X, I think the advantage goes to the X.

Much bigger screen so you can see the driving directions, and the screen is very visible in direct sunlight whereas the DInc is borderline unusable.

Battery life is also an advantage for the X.