Droid X USB OTG Support?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kuboo99, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kuboo99

kuboo99 New Member

I had searched the internet for info about the Droid X supporting USB OTG and only found out that the OG Droid could do it. I took a risk and bought a micro USB to USB OTG cable and:
    It did absolutely nothing, both with a mouse and a flashdrive. So I just wanted to let others know that at the moment it does not appear to work. (Could be a ROM or driver thing, I am on Liberty GB 0.9 but I don't think so.) However if anyone has any tips or ideas to make this work, feel free to tell me.

EDIT: I tried leukram's idea and still had no luck. I tried rebooting the phone with just the cable plugged in and rebooting the phone with the flashdrive plugged into the cable. Both methods did nothing. Also I did change ROM's but I really think that the Droid X simply doesn't have the ability to do USB OTG.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. leukram

leukram New Member

Did you try rebooting while having the USB OTG cable plugged in? In my research on this (not specifically for DroidX), I ran into a lot of people saying that you had to have the cable plugged in while the phone reboots. Android detects it and configures the phones USB port as a host.
  3. kuboo99

kuboo99 New Member

I have not tried that. I will try it when I get some time and report back. Thanks for the idea.
  4. scorpiomaj27

scorpiomaj27 New Member

I posed this question on MDW and didn't really get any responses, because I was considering buying the adapter cable you're talking about. (You're talking about Micro B to micro AB or to micro A, correct? Or micro B to regular AB?)

I know that with honeycomb on the Xoom it's not supported, but with the Tiamat rom for Xoom it works, HOWEVER I couldn't figure out how to get it to work without a USB OTG mounting app.

Stands to reason that if the ROM supports USB OTG, you may still need some mounting method.

Want me to see if I can get the APK off the Xoom for ya? I also have a DX and would like to know if this works. (I suppose you could attempt to mount via terminal, but that's not really a great solution even if it does work.)

-jason
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  5. kuboo99

kuboo99 New Member

Well, I recently got a galaxy nexus and the otg cable works with it. The usb drive and even a mouse light up when plugged in while on the DX they dont light up at all. I am thinking it is an actual hardware limitation and not a software one. Thanks for the thought though :)
Search tags for this page

droid x otg

droid x otg usb

droid x usb host support
droid x usb on the go

droid x usb otg

droid x2 otg

droid x2 usb otg
motorola droid x otg
motorola droid x usb otg
motorola droid x2 otg
otg droid x