Droid X uploading large amounts of data

ReblTeen84

Reaction score
Been having this issue for awhile now, over multiple devices. Started noticing my battery flat after about 6 hours and when I checked my data for this monthin, a week and a half in I was already at 2.1gb. When I check the phone, its constantly showing data active, and when I can actually get IN to the battery manager, Android System is constantly showing a large amount of data sent. Example, its been unplugged for about an hour and a half and it's already uploaded 35mb worth of data. Yesterday, it was at 130mb in the afternoon when I did a factory reset. I've caught it higher than that. Not rooted, running 2.2, the only widget running for data is beautiful widgets home. No other widgets that sync are running (only widgets at all are messages, calendar, pdanet and the sticky note one, plus some contacts).

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
Welcome to Droidforums! You can put a widget on your screen to turn your data on and off....or go in settings>menu>Data manager>Data delivery and disable data or spread out sync times....im a newbee here,and i dont know much,but i hope thsi helps,im sure someone with a lot more experience will chime in....good luck.Id do the widget for now,and just get in the habit of turning it on and off until you can get it figured out,it should improve batt life a lot..

musicman

Reaction score
Check out juice defender. It schedules times for your data connection to be on and the rest of the time it stays off.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
R

ReblTeen84

Reaction score
It's an all day thing - i'd have to leave my data connection off all day in order to stop the issue. And its hundreds of MB at this point. My normal data usage is about 700-800mb of data, i'm currently at over 3GB. Even now, I turned data off, left it off for over an hour and turned it back on - constant upload/download now. I don't have any weird apps installed, and theres no widgets except for BW using data. In the battery manager, its android system that shows the data usage, and its ONLY uploading - maybe a few hundred K download. It's done it on a few phones now even after a factory wipe. I'm starting to consider flashing it with the SBF to see if that'll work.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
It is possible that you installed a rooted rom, theme, or app and it is spamming the android marketplace. Those spam reviews come from somewhere.

EDIT: just saw that you said your not rooted. In that case it is almost certainly an app you have installed constantly connecting. If it is an app, it should show up in settings under about phone > battery use. If it is doing it with no 3rd party apps installed, then there is a short somewhere in the hardware and the phone needs to be replaced. Call Verizon, they will be able to look up where the excessive packets are going.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
First off, you don't need to mask the problem, you need to fix it. Disabling data on a smartphone is like disconnecting the fuel line on your hot rod. Its just unacceptable.

If you have this problem immediately after a factory reset, take it to verizon and make them stand behind their product. Do not let up until your problem is fixed. Period.

If its not doing this after a FR, then you need to install your apps one at a time to find the culprit.

Very weird that you have had it over multiple devices.

OP
R

ReblTeen84

Reaction score
I'm thinking its an app somewhere, but even after a #)(*!# factory reset, all my apps are automatically being restored, even though i turned off the option. Incredibly annoying. I'd use the battery use, except i dont have it under about phone - 2.2 update puts in on settings, and it force closes half the time. When it does work, Android System is the culprit -its showing a ridiculous amount of data sent, sometimes in excess of 100mb at a shot.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
If you can, go into market, uninstall all apps from there, and then do a factory reset. Then reinstall them one at a time. Might make a list of the ones you had before. I always forget a few if i dont.

Cooperk10

Reaction score
Possible Fix

I connected my droid x to the Android SDK and saw a lot of traffic talking to my exchange server constantly trying to talk. I removed the account and suddenly back to normal. I then added the account again and it works just like new! No more constant data my battery was down to half after about 2 hours of being on. Hope this helps and isn't too late!!! :)