Droid X triggered Gmail suspicious activity alert

Baumbach

Reaction score
I did a web-based login to my Gmail account today and got this red warning banner at the top that said there was suspicious activity; my account was accesses from a suspicious IP number.

I looked at the Gmail access activity report and found these two IP #’s 192.55.31.40 and 69.10.177.7 both of which I did an IP whois look up and found that one belongs to Motorola, Inc. in Sunnyvale CA and the other to Motorola – Network Computing Services in Scottsdale, AZ. ( I live in VA) Access type was listed as “Unknown”

The trigger dates where on the days I was setting up Gmail accounts on my new Droid X. I was also installing other App’s too.

Why would “Motorola” in CA and AZ be logging in to my Gmail account??? Gmail should have logged a Verizon IP number and not one’s from Motorola.

I do have several Gmail and one Google App’s account configured on the Droid X, but to date only one of the Gmail accounts has warned me about suspicious activity.

The activity logs on the other accounts only say Browser and IMAP access like they should from my home PC and Verizon IMAP 97.xxx.xxx.xxx and nothing from Motorola.

The Gmail account in question is used on the Droid X for Google Maps, Latitude, iGoogle, Google Voice, etc.

So I am not clear as to why “Motorola” accessed my Gmail account, which then triggered Gmail’s unusual activity warning.

techguru

Reaction score
I did a web-based login to my Gmail account today and got this red warning banner at the top that said there was suspicious activity; my account was accesses from a suspicious IP number.

I looked at the Gmail access activity report and found these two IP #’s 192.55.31.40 and 69.10.177.7 both of which I did an IP whois look up and found that one belongs to Motorola, Inc. in Sunnyvale CA and the other to Motorola – Network Computing Services in Scottsdale, AZ. ( I live in VA) Access type was listed as “Unknown”

The trigger dates where on the days I was setting up Gmail accounts on my new Droid X. I was also installing other App’s too.

Why would “Motorola” in CA and AZ be logging in to my Gmail account??? Gmail should have logged a Verizon IP number and not one’s from Motorola.

I do have several Gmail and one Google App’s account configured on the Droid X, but to date only one of the Gmail accounts has warned me about suspicious activity.

The activity logs on the other accounts only say Browser and IMAP access like they should from my home PC and Verizon IMAP 97.xxx.xxx.xxx and nothing from Motorola.

The Gmail account in question is used on the Droid X for Google Maps, Latitude, iGoogle, Google Voice, etc.

So I am not clear as to why “Motorola” accessed my Gmail account, which then triggered Gmail’s unusual activity warning.

I am not sure if this is fully implemented on the X, but in the version of Blur on the DEvour, when you set up MotoBlur, it goes through Motorola servers, and you get an account you can access from Motorola site where you can remotly locate a lost phone, do a remote wipe, and back up contacts. When I had a Moto Devour to test, it set up the account, but it doesn't seem to recognize that I switched to a DX. I also recall getting an email from Motorola when I set up the Devour telling me about this, and didn't get one for the DX. But anyway, the reason why it accessed your account from there had to do with connecting your device to their servers for these features.

Alan

Darkseider

Reaction score
Not too familiar with Blur on the X but when you set up the mail widget in blur did it ask for your credentials? If so that is where the access came from. Motorola houses their own servers for blur and they act as a proxy to get the info and forward it your widgetyness. Hope that helps.

OP
B

Baumbach

Reaction score
Not too familiar with Blur on the X but when you set up the mail widget in blur did it ask for your credentials? If so that is where the access came from. Motorola houses their own servers for blur and they act as a proxy to get the info and forward it your widgetyness. Hope that helps.

I just looked up what MotoBlur is and does. Since I was also setting up a Facebook account too, and if MotoBlur does indeed use Motorola servers, then that would explain it.

I do not see an app named MotoBlur, but there is a Motorola service running named Blur.

So this might have caused it, even though I had no idea it would be directly accessing and logging into my Gmail account, I am not too sure I am happy about that.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I just looked up what MotoBlur is and does. Since I was also setting up a Facebook account too, and if MotoBlur does indeed use Motorola servers, then that would explain it.

I do not see an app named MotoBlur, but there is a Motorola service running named Blur.

So this might have caused it, even though I had no idea it would be directly accessing and logging into my Gmail account, I am not too sure I am happy about that.

The app is no longer named MotoBlur because of all the negative attention MotoBlur received on the Cliq/CliqXT and Backflip. Since then Motorola has made a less intrusive and disgusting version of it, made it into some nicer widgets, and called it Blur to try and trick us. Those sneaky bastards. :icon_evil:

baniels

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen with my X. I don't like it.

Avoidance

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen... from 192.55.31.42 which belongs to Motorola.

It coincided with when I set up the quick upload to Picasa for photos...

richjacksonkc

Reaction score

this happened to me too.. from what I can tell it has to do with the stock/blur/whatever 'my accounts/messaging' app accessing gmail, at the same time that the official gmail app, and you on your computer are accessing it. I think there must be a failsafe on gmail that triggers this when more than two ip's are logged in to gmail simultaneously, I assume they consider two pretty normal with smartphones and tablets and such, but more than two a little suspicious...

..as to why they are originating from different locations, that was probably just random.. I assume motorola uses servers all over the country and the push servers for each app just happened to be located in two different locations when you had the issue...

..just a thought..

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have the Droid 1 and this happened to me when i logged into gmail on my computer.

Pantera

Reaction score
I bought my Droid X last July, and I very routinely monitor my gmail access logs because of the importance of this account. (If you have someone's email, you have their bank accounts).

last night at 2.32 AM EST, my gmail was accessed from 192.55.31.40. As this thread has mentioned, a reverse IP whois on this number shows it is owned by Motorola.

Does anyone else have any additional information as to what could be the cause of this activity? I typically plug my phone in around 10PM and don't touch it until the morning. I think it is highly suspicious that my gmail was accessed from this IP at that time... I could understand if this was something that my phone did periodically, however I am really taken back by the fact that this has only happened once in 9 months.

thoughts?

Pantera

Reaction score
this happened to me too.. from what I can tell it has to do with the stock/blur/whatever 'my accounts/messaging' app accessing gmail, at the same time that the official gmail app, and you on your computer are accessing it. I think there must be a failsafe on gmail that triggers this when more than two ip's are logged in to gmail simultaneously, I assume they consider two pretty normal with smartphones and tablets and such, but more than two a little suspicious...

..as to why they are originating from different locations, that was probably just random.. I assume motorola uses servers all over the country and the push servers for each app just happened to be located in two different locations when you had the issue...

..just a thought..

If this is true, I'd like the ability to turn it off.