Droid X to Droid Pro????

Reaction score
Hey i have had the X since the summer and I came from a blackberry 9650. I really miss the keyboard and was thinking about getting the pro.....I did play with it at the store and liked it. any negative things about the pro?

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Besides minor annoyances, the biggest drawback I see is the small screen. It's definitely a worthy trade-off for me, having the keyboard. I gave up a Bold 9650 and 6 years of BB's for the Droid Incredible and the lack of a keyboard almost drove me back to BB. Droid Pro came out at the right time for me. The keyboard is good, but certainly not on par with the 9650. Good enough though to keep me with Android, given the extreme lack of capabilities on BB. I was thinking of the Thunderbolt, as people have said the bigger screen allows for a bigger onscreen keyboard and easier typing than the Droid Incredible, but you're coming from an X and are still longing for a physical keyboard.

Mikemu

Reaction score
Hey i have had the X since the summer and I came from a blackberry 9650. I really miss the keyboard and was thinking about getting the pro.....I did play with it at the store and liked it. any negative things about the pro?
The keyboard is horrible compared to a BB.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
It's not a BB keyboard, but it's still pretty good. Better than say, a Pre or Dell Venue.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
The keyboard is horrible compared to a BB.
To each his own. I beg to differ with your assessment of the keyboard. I had 3 different BB's. The Pro keyboard is almost as good as far as I'm concerned.

StingRay

Reaction score
I've had my Pro since late November when they first came out...would really be difficult for me to recommend this phone to anyone...

battery life, even with the extended battery, is absolutely horrific...no excuse for a smaller screened-phone, with lower resolution having this bad of battery life...

if you use Exchange email forget it....the Pro does not sync correctly..too much delay in receiving or doesn't push until you open the app...

other annoyances like the spacing for characters like apostrophe's, signs, and quotations marks doesn't work correctly...requires you to download a 3rd party keyboard to fix...

the biggest issue is that Motorola has not been able to come up with a fix after all these months, and I doubt they ever will...

oh and locked bootloader (like your Droid X) and no custom ROMs to load if you root...

other than that it's a great phone....:)

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Only thing I disagree on with Stingray on is the battery life. I get decent battery life - I can go from 8am to 6pm with heavy use before I have to charge. Probably 200 emails sent/received, 40 sms, 2hrs talk time, regular browsing. All daily averages...

For exchange - has never worked correctly. Have to use 3rd party app, which some say is just fine since stock email apps never have enough options and choices.

Keyboard annoyance - loaded vlingo keyboard, free, works perfectly and I love the vlingo voice actions much better than google voice actions anyhow

locked bootloader - yeah, that stinks, so I guess I agree on two points.

Bottom line for me is I wanted a BB style hard keyboard in portrait along with the android goodness, so for me, this is the only phone that fit the bill at the time. I'm now thinking of the TB, but as of yet haven't made the jump. Still sticking it out with the DP. I just love a physical keyboard.

StingRay

Reaction score
Only thing I disagree on with Stingray on is the battery life. I get decent battery life - I can go from 8am to 6pm with heavy use before I have to charge. Probably 200 emails sent/received, 40 sms, 2hrs talk time, regular browsing. All daily averages...

For exchange - has never worked correctly. Have to use 3rd party app, which some say is just fine since stock email apps never have enough options and choices.

Keyboard annoyance - loaded vlingo keyboard, free, works perfectly and I love the vlingo voice actions much better than google voice actions anyhow

locked bootloader - yeah, that stinks, so I guess I agree on two points.

Bottom line for me is I wanted a BB style hard keyboard in portrait along with the android goodness, so for me, this is the only phone that fit the bill at the time. I'm now thinking of the TB, but as of yet haven't made the jump. Still sticking it out with the DP. I just love a physical keyboard.

kj

man I would love to get with you and see what I'm doing differently with my battery usage....this is driving me crazy...

oh and thanks for the vlingo keyboard suggestion..will give a try......**Sorry to hijack thread***:redface:

boomerang

Reaction score
I go from 8 in the morn till about 8 at night on my battery. I think my usage is mildly heavy.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App