Droid X sudden battery drain

Lisamull

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had my Droid X since christmas (6 months) and have been very happy with it thus far. About 3 weeks ago, the battery started draining daily. Before this, I could go 2-3 days without charging. I havent changed anything, or added any new apps. Is the battery life normally 6 months? I shut off the GPS, downloaded Spart Parts and nothing seems to be out of the norm. Any thoughts??????

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Did you install the OTA Gingerbread update around three weeks ago? If you look at your battery stats, what is the usage look like? A day out of the stock battery is close to typical, but longer with very light use.

OP
L

Lisamull

Reaction score
my phone did an auto update yesterday. How would i know if its the OTA Gingerbread update? as for the battery stats,...when I go into "batrtery usage: it says voice calls 62%, display 23%, phone idle 7%, cell standby 6%, com.motorola.contacts.data 2%, wifi %$ and facebook 2%. Is this what your talking about.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Go to settings, About phone, and post the system version number. It is probably 4.5.596 which is the OTA update. It would have prompted you to install it though.

Those are the battery stats I was talking about, but also, what is the time on battery read as right now? My phone is currently 9.5 hours on battery with 70% battery life left, but the screen has been on 1.5hours

OP
L

Lisamull

Reaction score
yes my system verious is 4.5.596.MB810.
time on battery is 5h 51ms...and i have about 70% left. (Charged it overnight)
But like I mentioned..I have always gotten about 2-3 days out of my battery. until about 3 weeks ago. Just seems strange that it is all of a sudden...
BTW Thank you for answering my questions...sometime I feel so dumb, when it comes to my phone....

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Some people have been having issues with battery life after the Gingerbread (4.5.596) update. But, without being sure of when it was installed it is hard to say if that is your issue.

A few things to try:
1. Settings> Battery and Data Manager> Battery mode and try using battery saver or creating a custom setting.
2. Disable Wifi/GPS if you do not use them. Turn brightness down or set to automatic (I use automatic).
3. Is your phone roaming or have a weak signal?
4. Let the battery discharge until the phone shuts off. Leave the phone turned off, and plug it in and let it charge to 100%. Once it hits 100%, leave it plugged in and turned off for about 30 minutes. You can then unplug and turn the phone on, and repeat the process. Let it die and fully charge while turned off twice.