Droid X stopped working after Update ?? help please

shelly9601

Reaction score
Hi Forum world . .
i am in desperate need of help .. we today rely so heavily on cell phones as our lifeline .. and i just lost my lifeline to the world

- yesterday i was in the process of moving from SC to PA
i had glanced at the screen to check the time and noticed a notification on my screen which i have never seen before
it said that an install update was taking place and showed a red status bar

- once the update completed the phone powered off
-i restarted the phone and noticed it did not look the same
example the slide lock/unlock bars changed
-i tried to make a call at this point and it allows me to dial but doesnt connect any calls - not to *228 or even 911
-i can not receive emails - or text messages , in fact when i try to go to my text message icon and select it - the screen turns black and stays black unless i hit the home key then i return to the home page
i can not download anything
-the only function that the phone has now is it can receive calls nothing else
-when i slide my home screen over to where the buttons for the wifi / GPS /airplane mode/bluetooth , it shows a swirling circle .. the swirling circle ( to show it is trying to connect ) never makes the connection and continues to swirl -- the same shows under my facebook button and my preview email button

I have re booted the phone - took out sim card rebooted - took both out and let sit out for an hour - i have had a friend text me , email me , and call my phone .. it can only receive calls nothing else

the phone life has been cut in more than half
if my phone is on full charge.. after an hour is down to half battery life

when i try to make a call it has different screen now where as it shows "most recent" call ( with the name and # of the last incoming call above the dial pad)

all of my contacts and photos etc are still there and accessible for review

please .. i am hoping someone can help me ..

thank you for reading this
SG

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would first try a factory reset by going to settings>privacy>factory data reset

That will restore the phone to an out of the box state meaning it will delete all of your apps contacts etc but you can back those up first. If that doesn't work I would take it in to the store.

tappin and a talkin

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
Go to your providers store and have them install the update instead of over-the-air, it worked for me. Wish I had known to do that when I traveled from L.A. to KY and back, probably could have saved myself from having a replacement.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
S

shelly9601

Reaction score
i can get as far as the selection to erase everything
when i hit erase everything button - it does nothing
it will not erase /reset

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok you can do the same thing from recovery by turning the phone off and then holding the power button and the home button simultaneously. This will get you in to recovery where you can perform the reset.

tappin and a talkin

OP
S

shelly9601

Reaction score
Spaz..
I think i love you ..
Thank you .. the 2nd way for wipe /reset was a success
I honestly can not thank you enough !!

some little things are still changed in the phone from before this frizzle frazzle happened (saturday)
the keypad is a different kind then before and when i go to make a call above the dial pad it shows the most recent call , and if i am manually entering the phone # in the dial pad it show the first contact person # that it may match up to
these are things i did not have on my phone before i inadvertently busted it into not working ..

But I am just thrilled to have a working phone again so i will not question the changes .. and very happy that I always backed this phone up so i did not lose my contacts =D
have a great night and thank you again
SG

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Always glad to help. Everything else you're noticing is probably the general changes from the update. Glad its up and running.

tappin and a talkin