Droid X Stock ROM - switching themes question

scubieman

Reaction score
I have a stock rooted 2.2 droid x running the black glass deoxeded theme. I was wondering switching to other things Do i have to clear data/cache. Or do I just install the zip and it will over write what it needs?

I would love to try other themes but do not want to do a factory reset and start from scratch on each theme I use?

xliderider

Reaction score
I have a stock rooted 2.2 droid x running the black glass deoxeded theme. I was wondering switching to other things Do i have to clear data/cache. Or do I just install the zip and it will over write what it needs?

I would love to try other themes but do not want to do a factory reset and start from scratch on each theme I use?

I believe that 928 Droid, the author of the Black Glass theme, has a stock zip file that you can flash to get back to stock before trying new themes. When going from 2.2 Froyo to 2.2 Froyo, you can generally do an Advanced Restore where you just restore the Data portion of a previous Froyo backup, so I'd advise you to make a current backup of your setup, flash the stock 2.2 zip file to get your ROM back to stock theme, then flash the new theme/rom, then do an Advanced restore for Data only. That should get you back to where you where as far as apps, homescreen setups and settings.

OP
scubieman

scubieman

Reaction score
Thanks for response.

The only thought I have had is a theme only replace colors. There for I should be able to flash a theme over top another theme since colors are changed not the actually app it's self.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its still a good idea to wipe data/cache before doing so. Like the above suggested, use 928 B2S file. Or flash your backup from recovery. All Themes have instructions for installing. Just follow instructions.

Sent from c]=[k(V)8's Droid X using Tapatalk

javroch

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for response.

The only thought I have had is a theme only replace colors. There for I should be able to flash a theme over top another theme since colors are changed not the actually app it's self.

In order to replace the colors, they have to create a themed copy of the app, and replace yours with it. It's the same thing. Generally, you shouldn't need to wipe data/cache if the theme is built correctly, but often times they're not. You can always try it, it won't break anything most likely. You'll just end up with the merger of both themes sometimes if you don't go back to a clean (non-themed) backup before applying a new theme.