Droid X Speaker Volume

bigjunior45

Reaction score
My G-mail e-mail notification is the "Droid" sound (Same as when you turn the phone on I believe) I didn't really seem to find much change, if any at all.

I was hoping for and some-what expecting a night & day difference. This is obviously no where near a night & day difference.
I have my settings all maxed out for the volume.
I want to be able to hear my phone ring while listening to music in my car at a moderate level. I want to be able to hear my phone ring while it sits in another room.
This is what I was afraid of. I'm with you as well as my buddy who just got an X yesterday and we both agree that the speaker volume on this phone is crap. In my opinion this should be the #1 problem that Moto should be fixing ASAP. Its getting annoying missing phone calls/text messages to the point that I'm almost thinking about switching to the Droid 2 or something else where I can actually hear my phone ring.

DanDriod22

Reaction score
Hey

I DO notice a difference on volume with 2.2, only on the back speaker, it seems maybe... ALMOST twice as loud. the ear speaker seems to be the same to me. Maybe a little early to say, as i just upgraded this morning! Just Wanted to put my 2 Cents in! :blackdroid:

:)

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
i dont notice a difference in my ringers so far, but i can tell you the sounds when you hit voice search are freakin deafening now. Cant even use it in my office lol

garath

Reaction score
Does anyone notice an improvement now with 2.2?
Hello Droid community this is my first post so bare with me.

Before the 2.2 update I could barely hear my phone when I got a phone call or text message. Now after downloading the 2.2 update last night at 11:50 pm I played a couple of ringtones that I made on the ringdroid app and it seemed a little louder but I was in my bedroom where it was quite. I played one of my favorite radio stations on the tunein app here at work and it seems a little louder but yet again I'm in a quite room.

I'll wait till I get home and turn on both the TV and surround sound to make my final judgement. On the 2.1 software I could barely hear my X go off when I got a phone call or text message while I was watching TV where the surround sound wasn't too loud or too quite but just right.

One thing that bugged me is that I called Verizon in my area and they never heard about any speaker volume problems and thought that I had a defective phone which wasn't the case. I told them to browse the web on this topic because its a hot topic on forums and youtube.

It's really not that hot of a topic anymore. 4 out of 4 droidx's in my office are fine. You might actually have a defective phone. Especially if you still have issues after 2.2 (which does increase the volume).

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I agree that you may have a defective phone. I created my own ring tone using a loud song, and boosting the volume a little when creating the .mp3

I can easily hear it ringing from another room, and usually have the ringer set to about 3/4.

fastrek82

Reaction score
all my sounds are alot louder and more crisp!! now i can hear them... lol

DragonFly1316

Reaction score
BIG SPeaker Issues

I am so glad (I think) that I am not the only one with this issue, I thought it was the phone (which seems like it would have been an easier fix...just replace it). I received my new DroidX about a month ago. I noticed that I was missing alot of calls and text messages. I thought it was just the ring tone and changed it several times. Then I had to use the alarm and woke up to notice that I never heard it go off... tested it and there was BARELY any volume coming out of it. Took it to a VZW store, the woman tested it and then said she was downloading an update that is usually done in store, but because mine was shipped it wasn't done (OK, they all had to be ordered...the wait time was a couple weeks!!! AND keep in mind that I used to work for VZW myself) She then tested it again and said there you go... I still wasn't satisfied with the volume, but thought it was just me (until now). MIND YOU she also downloaded task killer without telling me or showing me what to do with it....anyway... I have several volume issues... (and YES all settings were checked, and all volumes are at MAX) Games: sometimes the volume is on, sometimes not. Video Playback: sometimes the sound plays, sometimes not. Ringer: SOmetimes it rings and sometimes not. Visual Voicemail speaker, Text messages, alarm and music...all are very random. Just yesterday it all stopped. The volume is either not there at all or you can barely hear t when put up to ear. I am going to help out by going into the VZW store and calling TECH Support as I only have my DroidX to talk on. I am absolutely head over heals for my DroidX, it's the best phone I have seen and used... hopefully we can get this resolved. As for 2.2 "maybe" fixing the issue... I will let you know cause I just updated OTA a few minutes ago YAY! dancedroid

Horch it

Reaction score
On sound levels post 2.2. I think the volumn increase for the back speaker or media, nav, etc. listening has improved slightly, about 10-15% increase in performance. But, I think the problem is design. The rear speaker will bleed sound toward the rear and if there isn't anything in the back of the speaker to block the sound and bounce it toward the listener, it will sound low, faded. I use my right hand and cup it to catch sound and redirected toward the front and that helps but who want to constantly do that when driving and listening to nav. Looks like it's a BT head gear will be the default listening while naving unless there is OTA future fix. :) I came from the Moto Q and that was one hell of a loud beast.

lewwill

Reaction score
I use Droid Lab for a ringtone and I can hear it from the other end of the house now. Much louder, I may have to lower the volume.

Svonavja

Reaction score
On sound levels post 2.2. I think the volumn increase for the back speaker or media, nav, etc. listening has improved slightly, about 10-15% increase in performance. But, I think the problem is design. The rear speaker will bleed sound toward the rear and if there isn't anything in the back of the speaker to block the sound and bounce it toward the listener, it will sound low, faded. I use my right hand and cup it to catch sound and redirected toward the front and that helps but who want to constantly do that when driving and listening to nav. Looks like it's a BT head gear will be the default listening while naving unless there is OTA future fix. :) I came from the Moto Q and that was one hell of a loud beast.

Yeah your right on the volume issue, about 15% better.
Just a note to Motorola, You should always take your last product and improve on that, not start over and make changes that make it worse than the previous model...Shame on you.
I still love the phone, the new update has made great improvements, with many features..Thank you. Hopefully they are able to increase the volume even more on another update...if not I guess we will have to deal with it until the next phone sweeps us off our feet.