DROID X signal boosting

DropC

Reaction score
I need a way to boost my X's 1x signal. I saw this chip-looking thing that was really cheap on the internet. It sicks behind the battery. Does it work?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
No.

It might even degrade your reception.

Theoretically if the stick-on was correctly designed for the frequency and you managed to place it exactly in the right relationship to the antenna it would become a reflector. This would make your antenna more directional. Your signal would become slightly better in some directions while becoming worse in others.

So, possible results from best to worst.

1) It does nothing

2) It makes the antenna slightly directional, giving you erratic signal strength depending on which direction the cell tower is in relation to the phone.

3) It acts as a shield degrading reception slightly no matter what death grip you use.

Cellphone antenna booster sticker test and analysis

shamisc

Reaction score
I hear that you can call Verizon Tech support, and they'll sell you a signal booster to plug into any outlet in your home. I thought about getting one, plugging in an AC/DC converter in my vehicle, and see if it helps my signal everywhere while driving. Never know...it might work!

tomnationwide

Reaction score
I hear that you can call Verizon Tech support, and they'll sell you a signal booster to plug into any outlet in your home. I thought about getting one, plugging in an AC/DC converter in my vehicle, and see if it helps my signal everywhere while driving. Never know...it might work!

It's called a Network Extender and it's pretty much a modem for phones is all.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Correct. A mini tower that runs from you Ethernet port on your router. It emits a signal range of up to 5,000 sq feet and is good for up to 3 stories. 3 calls can be made simultaneously with a 4th spot open for emergency calls. It doesn't support data as of yet though.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score

. . .It doesn't support data as of yet though.

Unless you are not using a wireless capable router (which is possible) it really doesn't need to support data.

There are also a couple products out there that can extend your wireless signal in the house or car. Do a search for 'cell phone repeater'.

Here's a link to a CNet review, provided only as an example. I don't know enough to recommend any particular device.

Cell phone signal boosters - CNET Reviews

P.S. They mention that it may not result in good voice quality, so it seems likely that data would be degraded or not work at all on these devices.

Last edited:

fwaggle

Reaction score
Re: those stickers on the back of your battery... look at it this way. They probably cost like 50c to make, and if you get absolutely taken you'll probably spend $10-20 on one.

Your phone's MSRP is about $600.

If you could so cheaply and drastically improve the reception of your phone, don't you think Motorola would have done it from the factory? :p

BossBrew

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Wi-Ex zBoost SOHO YX545 and I am extremely pleased with the results. I live in a valley with large mountains surrounding me and my reception in my house is terrible (1 bars usually, 2 bars if I am lucky). After finding the best place to mount my antenna (a location with the best bars available), I now get 3-5 bars within my home, depending on how close I am to the Base Unit. I am extremely satisfied with the results, and and my Data speeds have increased dramatically.

If your reception is bad, a Cell Phone Signal Booster is a great choice if you can find a place to mount the antenna that has a consistently good signal. It's not magic, so if you only get 1 bar outside don't expect to have 4-5 bars inside with a Signal Booster.