Droid X running excruciatingly SLOW!!!!

stephen.g.fiddes

Reaction score
In the last few days, i have noticed my Droid X running hella slow. Here is what I have done to try to correct the issue.

Today I did the traditional power off/ on, and it got worse.
Then i tried taking the battery out. That made it faster for all of 5 minutes, and now it's super slow again. Text message app especially.
I have recently cleared out most of my text convo's, and just deleted the one that had about a million pictures in it. Still running slow/ crashing easily.
Advanced task killer helps, but only for a few minutes. Phone still runs super sluggish after all of the Apps have been killed.

Here are my questions.

What have I missed in the process?

How do I keep all of the pointless/useless apps from starting? (IE Visual Voicemail (which i'm, not signed up for), City ID, VOICE COMMANDS, and all that extra bull**** that they add for convenience, that really no one uses... (Kinda like computer companies putting their own Media player on there, when everyone uses iTunes) ... I think I lost a parenthases in there somewhere... whatever, you get it.

Any new updates on FROYO? i thought it was coming out last month.

Thanks a bunch!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
In the last few days, i have noticed my Droid X running hella slow. Here is what I have done to try to correct the issue.

Today I did the traditional power off/ on, and it got worse.
Then i tried taking the battery out. That made it faster for all of 5 minutes, and now it's super slow again. Text message app especially.
I have recently cleared out most of my text convo's, and just deleted the one that had about a million pictures in it. Still running slow/ crashing easily.
Advanced task killer helps, but only for a few minutes. Phone still runs super sluggish after all of the Apps have been killed.

Here are my questions.

What have I missed in the process?

How do I keep all of the pointless/useless apps from starting? (IE Visual Voicemail (which i'm, not signed up for), City ID, VOICE COMMANDS, and all that extra bull**** that they add for convenience, that really no one uses... (Kinda like computer companies putting their own Media player on there, when everyone uses iTunes) ... I think I lost a parenthases in there somewhere... whatever, you get it.

Any new updates on FROYO? i thought it was coming out last month.

Thanks a bunch!

Were any new apps installed around the same time? When you task kill, how much memory does it say you have left? All of those apps WILL run regardless. Its kinda complex but some apps and services need others to run correctly i.e. voicemail to check for new voicemails, etc. Android is designed to automatically kill apps that are "on the back burner" though but I doubt that has anything to do with your issue.

scoder

Reaction score
Get rid of the task killer, it will only cause more problems, draining more system resources and battery power by having to reopen apps that need to be running. Android will do the task killing for you, even Google has come out and said that task killers are unnecessary and only cause more problems.

Also, one of your apps is most likely disrupting your phone and making it slow. Try removing any app that looks "cheap", ie. soundboards. If you can't pinpoint which app is causing the problem, just perform a factory reset, sign back in with your Blur and Google accounts and you start from scratch. Don't worry, your contacts, calendars, pictures, videos, and music will either be synced to an account or on your memory card. The factory reset will just reset the software and remove all of your apps.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Get rid of the task killer, it will only cause more problems, draining more system resources and battery power by having to reopen apps that need to be running. Android will do the task killing for you, even Google has come out and said that task killers are unnecessary and only cause more problems.

Also, one of your apps is most likely disrupting your phone and making it slow. Try removing any app that looks "cheap", ie. soundboards. If you can't pinpoint which app is causing the problem, just perform a factory reset, sign back in with your Blur and Google accounts and you start from scratch. Don't worry, your contacts, calendars, pictures, videos, and music will either be synced to an account or on your memory card. The factory reset will just reset the software and remove all of your apps.

That too! Factory resets always work. Sounds irritating but, so is what you're going through now..

OP
S

stephen.g.fiddes

Reaction score
Were any new apps installed around the same time? When you task kill, how much memory does it say you have left? All of those apps WILL run regardless. Its kinda complex but some apps and services need others to run correctly i.e. voicemail to check for new voicemails, etc. Android is designed to automatically kill apps that are "on the back burner" though but I doubt that has anything to do with your issue.

I have not recently installed any apps. I have what I need/ use and don't mess around a whole lot with trying new apps.

Will try that too.

scf

Reaction score
Yeah, ditch the TK. It creates more overhead than it kills. One thing that's helped me a bit was to root and use cache mate. when phone is slow, I clear the cache and it smartens right back up.