Droid X Rooted Z4 -> Gingerbread

Garandhero

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I have been rooted for a while, running 2.2 or w/e.
I rooted with z4 root - but want to get ready for Gingerbread.

So what do I need to do? Can you please step by step it for me?
Is this correct

Use Z4 root to "unroot"
Install Gingerbread
Use Z4 root to "root" again
Done? that Simple?

Also I used titanium to freeze some apps, do I need to defrost them? Anything else need to be done? Or can I use clockwork and just go back to my backup.

Finally is Gingerbread actually out or was it a hoax?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ekf028

Reaction score
It's not gonna be that simple with gingerbread. If root is important to you, I would hold off on gingerbread until it is.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Raziel

Reaction score
Have been trying that process, Z4Mod will NOT root GB at this point. There is something that is forcing the application to force close while access root shell. Best to wait until P3Droid develops the one-click root.

If you want GB that quickly, there is a rooted version available. have been running it for a while, and it's good. Just decided to try the "official" version, and can't get root. Resorting back to the leak and just waiting for something to be developed for rooting the OTA version.

And the Bootloader did NOT change. The bootloader is still being listed as 30.04 so that's a false piece of information.

OP
G

Garandhero

Reaction score
Have been trying that process, Z4Mod will NOT root GB at this point. There is something that is forcing the application to force close while access root shell. Best to wait until P3Droid develops the one-click root.

If you want GB that quickly, there is a rooted version available. have been running it for a while, and it's good. Just decided to try the "official" version, and can't get root. Resorting back to the leak and just waiting for something to be developed for rooting the OTA version.

And the Bootloader did NOT change. The bootloader is still being listed as 30.04 so that's a false piece of information.

is p3droid the guys who made z4root? How will I know when theres something to auto-root droid x as easily as z4 again :)

ekf028

Reaction score
is p3droid the guys who made z4root? How will I know when theres something to auto-root droid x as easily as z4 again :)[/QUOTE]

I would start by checking here often :)

OP
G

Garandhero

Reaction score
Anyway if I did want the OTA - I would Use Clockwork to restore my system - then unroot w/ z4, then check OTA.

And when someone much smarter than me figures out how to root the gingerbread I can just do that right? I don't mind being w/o root for a few weeks if need be.

3a4yI7aTiY

Reaction score
on 2.3.3 (4.5.578) clockwork bootstraper dont work... after reboot in recovery on gingerbread youl seen also black screen.. but if you use for d2 on x it work well

OP
G

Garandhero

Reaction score
on 2.3.3 (4.5.578) clockwork bootstraper dont work... after reboot in recovery on gingerbread youl seen also black screen.. but if you use for d2 on x it work well

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to tell me here... can you please clarify? "If you use for d2 on x it work well?" Wtf does that mean?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I was one of the first...months ago,i had the first ota gb upgrade sent an have been running since... I use z4root ask the time without issue? Might there have been something with the orig push that is diff from this one out now? If so, which file do I need to copy to maintain a pure rom apk as backup ? Thanks for any assist in adv

quiet1

Reaction score
Garandhero, r u trying to go from root to unroot so u can get ready for the Gingerbread OTA or are u trying to figure out how to install the leaked Gingerbread file that's been floating around?

onemotodroid

Reaction score
is there a method to root the the new OTA fw 2.3 if my droidx has been updated?

the new update is installed on my droidx

OP
G

Garandhero

Reaction score
Garandhero, r u trying to go from root to unroot so u can get ready for the Gingerbread OTA or are u trying to figure out how to install the leaked Gingerbread file that's been floating around?

Yah I want to root ---> unroot in prep. for OTA gingerbread. Then I want to re-root gingerbread with z4 if possible? I don't want the leaked gingerbread.

Mick11

Reaction score
do I have to sbf to get the oya update or can I just restore to backup?