Droid X Rooted, can't remove two apps

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Found it. Its called FriendFeed.apk. I never delete packages, so I just rename them. name it something.bak and you're good to go. I did rename SocialMessaging.apk too but not sure what that was was for. I assumed it was the same as the Social Networking app, but guess not. But FriendFeed.apk is for sure the Social Networking app.

OP
W

whec716

Reaction score
Found it. Its called FriendFeed.apk. I never delete packages, so I just rename them. name it something.bak and you're good to go. I did rename SocialMessaging.apk too but not sure what that was was for. I assumed it was the same as the Social Networking app, but guess not. But FriendFeed.apk is for sure the Social Networking app.

This won't uninstall or let me rename it - says it's read only.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Are you using rooy explorer? If so, make sure you are in r/w mode. maybe reboot. Or end task it. But it worked for me.

Sent from my DroidX via Tapatalk (

OP
W

whec716

Reaction score

Are you using rooy explorer? If so, make sure you are in r/w mode. maybe reboot. Or end task it. But it worked for me.

Sent from my DroidX via Tapatalk (

i can end task it, but can't edit/remove it - says it's read only - but i can remove almost anything else. odd.

Tinninches

Reaction score
Please, how in the Hell can you get rid of this kindle and or amazon/mp3 icons off my phone. I've tried renaming/deleting either through root explorer and titanium back up and they will-not-delete. I can no longer see either app via titanium back-up, Yet they still remain on my drawer.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Please, how in the Hell can you get rid of this kindle and or amazon/mp3 icons off my phone. I've tried renaming/deleting either through root explorer and titanium back up and they will-not-delete. I can no longer see either app via titanium back-up, Yet they still remain on my drawer.
I assume you are rooted since you mentioned using Titanium.

1) I woud suggest against actually "deleting" the apps, and instead suggest just renaming the above mentioned ".apks" of the offending apps to ".bak" so that they may be able to be renamed at a later date in case of failed OTA updates.

2) Make sure when you are trying to edit these files that you are in R/W mode on the SD card...if not, you will be in Read Only mode and not beable to alter any files permanently.

3) Search for the proper names of the ".apks" of the apps in question, BlockBuster and Kindle or whatever...then go in and just rename them. If done properly, after a reboot those apps should not show in your app drawer any longer...

Tinninches

Reaction score
I assume you are rooted since you mentioned using Titanium.

1) I woud suggest against actually "deleting" the apps, and instead suggest just renaming the above mentioned ".apks" of the offending apps to ".bak" so that they may be able to be renamed at a later date in case of failed OTA updates.

2) Make sure when you are trying to edit these files that you are in R/W mode on the SD card...if not, you will be in Read Only mode and not beable to alter any files permanently.

3) Search for the proper names of the ".apks" of the apps in question, BlockBuster and Kindle or whatever...then go in and just rename them. If done properly, after a reboot those apps should not show in your app drawer any longer...

Thanks for the info. It wouldn't let me delete them either, so I'm good to go there.

drewlamo1

Reaction score
hmm try going into the manage applications and making sure you clear data and force stop them as well. then go in and try renaming them once you do rw with root explorer.

maybe you updated the app from the market and its messing with it

Tinninches

Reaction score
Now I am no longer able to see the kindle and amazon app, now I can't seem to get rid of need for speed (that came preloaded). It's almost as if they knew we would root these phones and delete this bloatware, so they designed it as such so you couldn't.

drewlamo1

Reaction score
you ever get nfs off the phone? i was looking in some of the /data folders and saw a folder that was labeled preinstall_md5

inside is a file called com.ideaworks3d.nfshift.md5

i believe when the phone boots it checks this folder and reinstalls apk if its not in the data/app folder?

you can see adobe flashplayer in the preinstall folder as well.

this is all speculation on my part, but if you really want it gone i would first go into application manager and clear data force stop the apk.
then i would try renaming the file in your /data/app folder
then i would go into the preinstall folder and try renaming that one as well.

then finally do a reboot and hopefully it will get rid of it lol.

like i said all speculation on my part ( this could be totally wrong ) but its all i can think of??? definitly make a backup before trying this... and have sbf ready just in case lmfao