Droid X Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jedb, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Jedb

Jedb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i lost 2 dollars... oh well ha... but i said screw easy root its a pain so i used androot to root my droid x... well my droid x is rooted now and im looking for some cool apps and themes and so forth... but doesnt anyone have any negatives to androot.. will i still be able to get the OTA android 2.2 when it comes out?, and and really and experiences with androot or rooting your droid x let me know! Of course please tell me some good things to get on my phone that now lets me be the super user :) Thanks for all the info in these forums!

2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    From what I know, the X is still mainly locked down. This means there is no alternate recovery to load and you will not be able to change roms or themes. You will be able to overclock the kernel and access wifi tethering.

So my question is what are you wanting to do to your X?? If you are wanting a different theme or rom, you are going to have to wait and see if anyone is able to unlock the bootloader.

3. Jedb

Jedb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well basically all i want to do with my X is use wifi tethering and get setcpu so i can make my processor run slower when im not using it and faster when i am... but i really am a noob so im not going to try elkay's method of overclocking because i would mess it up so im waiting for an easier way if there is one. also i want to be able to get the real froyo 2.2 update OTA but can i? im fine with unrooting and then getting it.. but im not sure if that will work...?
    jed

4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    Overclocking is pointless IMHO on the DX. its already at 1GHz. and theres not much info about 2.2 for the DX yet to know what will happen. probably just install and lose root..

5. Jedb

Jedb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    okay but it wont brick my phone though will it?

6. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    what the 2.2 update? like i said theres not much known about it but my guess is it will just overwrite and you lose root. shouldnt brick it

7. Jedb

Jedb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats what im hoping, do you have the leaked 2.2?