Droid X Review [Engadget]

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link.

quickly read through it. seems like engadget doesn't like the new Blur too much. not that it's intrusive, but they feel that the third-party apps do a better job than Blur itself.

they did say that it's easily ignorable, which is good. but they said they like Sense better... ugh.

and aside from some camera issues, they were very impressed with the hardware.

wonder if it'll sway some of the engadget editors toward Android once and for all.

OP
Darkseider

Darkseider

Reaction score
thanks for the link.

quickly read through it. seems like engadget doesn't like the new Blur too much. not that it's intrusive, but they feel that the third-party apps do a better job than Blur itself.

they did say that it's easily ignorable, which is good. but they said they like Sense better... ugh.

and aside from some camera issues, they were very impressed with the hardware.

wonder if it'll sway some of the engadget editors toward Android once and for all.

Well seeing that Engadget has become the Apple Blog and Gizmodo has become the Apple Hating Blog (wonder why?) but seriously it would be nice to see Engadget actually give credit where credit is due come future releases of Android OS as well as high end (quality) Android phones.

Mojo

Reaction score
Its funny Engadget says iPhone is best smartphone to date, but the device is plauged with issues (reception issues due to antenna issue, screen yellowing, exchange issues, and proximity sensor issues) But its labled as the greatest phone! And they do not perfer moto's new blur.. so it just gets a Ok review.. Give me a break. These tech blogs need to get off the bias koolaid that is apple.

jcardona1

Reaction score
good video. i didnt see much UI lag as people were saying. and the pinch zoom and the browser looks like it works great!

OP
Darkseider

Darkseider

Reaction score
Its funny Engadget says iPhone is best smartphone to date, but the device is plauged with issues (reception issues due to antenna issue, screen yellowing, exchange issues, and proximity sensor issues) But its labled as the greatest phone! And they do not perfer moto's new blur.. so it just gets a Ok review.. Give me a break. These tech blogs need to get off the bias koolaid that is apple.

They can't stop drinking the kool-aid because if they did Apple would stop talking to them just like they did with Gizmodo. Don't know if you have noticed but if you bad mouth Apple in any way, shape ore form they balckball you INSTANTLY.

Mule65

Reaction score
I thought the review was quite good and fair. Engadget is huge with Android info and Chris Ziegler knows his stuff. I don't see the Apple fanboy angle. I tried a new iPhone this morning for a couple minutes. It's simply more refined than anything else.

Froyo+DX FTW!

Mule65

Reaction score
Holy cow! Check out the pinch zoom/pan browsing near the end of the video. Really nice.

phatkat66

Reaction score
I've seen a few vids im not sure if its this specific one but one of the video reviewers mentioned how they did NOT like that blur widgets and android widgets was in a seperate category and they prefered for it to be grouped all together......

I think that has to be one of the stupidest things to NOT like. It makes finding what you want easier, and doesnt add any EXTRA clicks/steps. Also because the blur widgets will not work on any other home replacements its even easier to find what you want because sometimes you might be looking for one app in a huge list of apps and not realize its not even there...

>_> I want the phone so I can be my own critic....

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I didn't get to read the whole thing. But one thing I noticed while reading about the display is that it is actually thinner and taller than the EVO. I thought it was just the phone itself but the actual screen is to. I think they said 16:9 vs 15:9 ratio.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I saw a scorecard and .....wow.....

X gets 7/10.

Wow....First, Engadget didnt even test call quality or reception..I mean this is still a phone, right?...LMAO!!! iPhone 4...with its antenna issues....and the X gets a 7......really.....

X has better battery life, just based on the fact that HTC shipped the Inc with a smaller battery than the Droid...uses a 45nm cpu vs the 65nm one found in the Inc and the EVO....

We were able to easily and consistently make it through a single day (meaning morning to evening) on a battery charge, though we chatted with a Verizon spokesman who'd been using the phone for a while and he said that he typically struggled to make it through a typical weekday without a midday fill-up. It could be that our battery was fresh and new or we just weren't beating up on the battery hard enough, but at any rate, your mileage will vary. Pure standby time was easily over three days, and we were able to get about two hours worth of consistent hotspot usage with roughly 40 percent battery drain -- in other words, in-line with what we saw while using the EVO's hotspot functionality.
I find that hard to believe. The 45nm processor is designed to drain less battery than a 65nm one.

They mentioned something, anything about the speaker and calls in the Inc, EVO and iPhone reviews...nothing for the X....the only mention of the speaker....was the hump keeping it off the ground.....

Wow...engadget....wow....

Last edited: