Droid X restarting itself when I connect to computer?

cueto

Reaction score
I now keep my droid x in charge only mode.

Whether its xp or win 7 I can still access the sd card and do as i wish.

seems to be a MAJOR bug with 340 ...

Merry Christmas Everyone...dancedroid

Xcuse my ignorance but how do I change modes between charge only and etc..... I know on the incredibles it pops up auto when hooked to pc.....

When connected to your PC, pull down the status bar, and select USB connection and you can change it there.

Ok so Im connected to PC and when I pull down status bar my only optinos are USB debugging, stay awake, and allow mock locations which all have check boxes next to.......Im confused now :angry:

cueto

Reaction score
UPDATE......I downloaded drivers for PC and now when I plug into PC there is no RESTART!! And i can access my media card.

Sweet dancedroid

InBox485

Reaction score
Turn on USB debugging (under Settings>Applications>Developer). It stops the rebooting. My card itself is taking up to 5 minutes to be recognized by the computer, but at least the phone doesn't reboot.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Turn on USB debugging (under Settings>Applications>Developer). It stops the rebooting. My card itself is taking up to 5 minutes to be recognized by the computer, but at least the phone doesn't reboot.

I believe that was brought up and tried. My debugging is always on.

InBox485

Reaction score

I believe that was brought up and tried. My debugging is always on.

I skimmed and didn't see it. It made the difference for me FWIW.

devildog9999

Reaction score
I had this happen the past few weeks, and finally got it worked out. Start, Run, type in services.msc and hit enter.

Scroll down to the moto connect service, double click on it, set to disabled, and then hit stop.

Reboot the PC, and then connect the X. No more reboots.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't remember if I posted this already, but a good work around for this for me as been WiFi File Explorer. The actual writing speeds aren't as fast but overall with the reboot issue, it's faster.

chart

sivs422

Reaction score
Potential fix to USB-induced rebooting?

I have been suffering from this USB-connection-induced rebooting of late. Browsing threads on these forums, I came up with a solution that solved this problem for me. Essentially, I moved all my apps back to the phone (from my SD card) and can no longer induce the reboot.

My best explanation is that the SD card must be unmounted by Android before it can be exported to the USB-attached OS (Win7 x64 in my case). Unmounting the SD card could crash apps running from SD. Perhaps the straight-to-Droid-logo-restart is simply the way this crash is handled.

I posted essentially everything I know and guess about this problem in this thread. Have a look if interested. I hope this helps someone. Thanks!

dtsig

Reaction score
Don't remember if I posted this already, but a good work around for this for me as been WiFi File Explorer. The actual writing speeds aren't as fast but overall with the reboot issue, it's faster.
I couldn't get WiFi File Explorer to work. Wifi works great ... i can ping my phone etc but wifi file explorer simply times out <sigh>

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I too am having the reboot problem when I switch to USB MAss storage. Then after it boots up, it doesn't see the USB cord, so I unplug it, plug it back in (it's still in USB Mass Storage mode) and then it connects.

What a PITA! Thankfully it's the only issue with the phone.

+1
For me though, its random. Sometimes while transferring files (testing of theme files I make, etc) it reconnects/mounts just fine. No reboot. Other times, does exactly like you all are explaining.
Haven't been able to pinpoint anything. I've run 3 different ROMs, stock, themes, the works. And it does it in every situation. It sounds like a driver issue, but I doubt its that.
Definitely a Motorola software issue as I never encountered this prior to the last update.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
i have been having the same issue, but i also notice that my phone is in usb debugging enabled when it boots back up. Not sure if i have it set enabled before it resets.
Doesn't seem to make a difference. Mine is always in debugging mode.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

What is the benefit of always being in debugging mode?

My phone seems to do a spontaneous reboot once or twice a day, usually when it is just sitting there not plugged into anything. I see the Droid "Eye" glowing on the screen and see it booting back up.

No apparent reason. The phone is running the latest Verizon OS, it is rooted but the only "hack" is the ADW Launcher EX app. I am overclocked to 1.1Ghz, so I was thinking that perhaps it was that, but if there is a wide range of devices with the same problem, many of them unrooted stock phones, then it would appear to be OS related.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It isn't the overclocking in my case. I think that it is the ADW Launcher EX. The reboots started when I installed that.

I set my Droid X back to stock speeds and voltage, and then I uninstalled the DX overclocking utility.

ANd as the phone was just sitting here on the coffee table, it spontaneously rebooted itself.

I don't think it ever did that before installing ADW. I will back up all my ADW settings and uninstall that, and then see if it stops doing it.