Droid X Restarting Issues

JSmurf87

Reaction score
How's it going everyone? I just got a Droid X the other day and right out of the box it kept reseting its self on me, over and over again. I've tried resetting it to factory default. I've tried not syncing my facebook contacts i've even tried not downloading any apps but it keeps doing it. So I get in contact with the company i got it through and there sending me a new one. What I have figured out thou is when its plugged in and charging it doesn't reset itself...at all. Can anyone explain that or come up with any ideas to why that would be? Does anyone think maybe when only operating on the battery the OS isn't getting enough power to support it? I guess Motorola has no clue whats going on. If we get any ideas i'll be happy to send it up the chain and see if they can find a way to fix this problem. Anyone have any other ideas?

abaynard

Reaction score
Mine does that too. At least once a week. Maybe less.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
J

JSmurf87

Reaction score
When mine is off the charger it does it multiple times an hour. like im talking a lot. it did it once 6 times in 30 min...but when its plugged in it doesn't do it at all..

abaynard

Reaction score
Mine is random for all I know. I just got the update so maybe that will fix it

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

turdbogls

Reaction score
i have had mine for a week, Zero reboots. i did read that the kernel voltage was too low on this thing out of the box, thus creating reboots. i have never heard of anything THAT bad tho. sounds like a glitch in the software on that device. i am sure the new one will fix it. like i said, been running my Droid X HARD for the last week with no reboots.

i also read the latest update to 2.2.1 (2.3.340) has upped the voltage in the kernel helping with the random rebooting issue.

clawthat

Reaction score
Hey Guys...Long time victim of the "Power Cycle"...1st Time blogger. I found this site because this "issue" has become the bane of my existence here lately, so I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone knows anything yet.

I stood in line the day they were launched and purchased 2. One for the wife, One for me. She still has her original phone, I am on my SEVENTH. I am on the
Droid X
System Version: 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 2.2.1
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g55626e1
ERI Version: 5
PRL Version: 52220

The phone turning off and on all by itself, Verizon refers to this a Power Cycling. I am on my 7th replacement because of physical problems with previous phones, not software issues. My 1st one was DOA within 30 days, so they sent me a "CERTIFIED LIKE NEW" phone...thats the 1st problem there. Quality control on these refurbished phones is poor, to say the least. The 1st replacement (phone #2) arrived from Verizon DOA. It wouldn't even power on. Phone # 3 lasted about 3 weeks before the LCD screen went bad and shimmered every time you touched the screen. Phone #4's Hard Search Button (bottom right) broke loose. This is the 1st phone that lasted more than 30 days and also the 1st phone I started noticing the Power Cycling. Phone #5 was where the Software issue came into play. This past Thursday, the phone Power Cycled 25 times. 4 Times while I was on the phone with 4 different customers...2 of which were trying to hire me. Sometimes it would restart after sending an email, during calls, switching between apps or if I would glance in it's general direction. There was no rhyme or reason WHY this was happening. But now that you mention it (posted above), I do not ever remember it restarting while charging.

So Thursday, I called Tech Support, Spoke to Joy, explained my concerns and the troubles I have been experiencing and explained how it was unacceptable. Her 1st recommendation was to send me another Droid X. I explained to her that this was the 2nd phone that I have experienced it on...so I don't think this is a Hardware issue, it must be Software. So her 2nd suggestion was to send me a different make of phone and see if that corrects my problem. Long story short, she sent me a Samsung Facinate (OMG YUK)...it ran on Eclair 2.1 UPDATE and a) Force CLosed everything and b) the charging cable either would fall out all the time or had to be wiggled to make connection. So now I got this phone I HATE...that's nothing like my X and has Hardware AND Software issues. So again I call. I told them that I have gone through so many CERTIFIED LIKE NEW phones because they are all CRAP and I want a NEW phone replacement. This is Saturday. There is no way I will get a replacement from them on Sunday...I would have to wait till Monday...I want to walk into a Verizon Store and have the guy behind the counter to give me a new one. Much to my surprise, they DID!

I got the new phone yesterday and it has Power Cycled 3 times since. I'm pulling my hair out guys. I don't know what to do. I got programs running in the background eating the HELL out of my RAM. I don't know if it's because the RAM gets so low that the phone restarts or if I have an app that conflicts with the Droid's Prime Directive...I just cant figure this out. The one thing I DO know is that I shouldn't have to deal with this level of technical issue on a phone in this price range...with all the bells and whistles and capabilities this phone is supposed to possess.

I'm sorry if I ran on...but I haven't had anyone to talk to about this and I'm really frustrated. I guess I need to know who I should email these technical issues too...Verizon Tech Support or Google? Is there a Crash Log App out there that will generate a log of the crash? Something I could email to tech support? Im at a loss here and just looking for suggestions. I will hang up now and listen to your commentary. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may have for me. - Don