Droid X: Removing Pre-Installed Apps & Mic on Keyboard

BlueOvalBaby

Reaction score
I HATE all of the pre-installed apps on the Droid X (Amazon MP3, etc.). I don't use them, and want to remove them. I don't like a bunch of crap I don't use cluttering up my phone. They are not in installed apps, and won't drag to the trash. How do I remove them?

I want to remove the little mic to the left of the space bar, so I can have my period and comma on separate keys. On the original Droid, you could change this in the keyboard settings. I can't find it on the Droid X. I do not use the voice functions, and find it a real pain to have the period and comma on the same key.

Thanks for any help!

Sheri

iDr0id

Reaction score
Here's a tip. dont use any periods commas and especially dont use the voice to text like i just did here

Humpa

Reaction score
For the pre-installed crap, just ignore it. It uses no real resources and doesn't clutter up anything - once you have 300 apps on there, are you really going to think that 3 extra icons out of 300 is clutter?
You could root and delete those things, but all you will accomplish is peace of mind. It will not make your phone run, seem, or look any different at all.

As to the voice to text and the keyboard, well that keyboard needs some options. No doubt about that. So either use a third party keyboard, or just get used to the Android one. I'd recommend the Android one. For a period, either hit the period or the space key twice. For a comma, hit the comma key twice. I believe you will find it much easier to simply get used to using a double-tap of the comma to get a comma.

brlarue

Reaction score
I used to have an icon with ".com" on the keyboard. At least I think so. Now I have the microphone. I probably installed some app that did this or turned on some voice to text option. How can I get it back?

Humpa

Reaction score
I used to have an icon with ".com" on the keyboard. At least I think so. Now I have the microphone. I probably installed some app that did this or turned on some voice to text option. How can I get it back?
The .com will be on the keyboard for certain apps and/or input fields. The "normal" keyboard layout doens't have the .com on it though.

brlarue

Reaction score
.com mystery

tks ... I went into the browser and clicked in the URL window and the keyboard displayed the "missing" .com button.

brlarue

Reaction score
QR Code

Last and final ...

I would like to add a QR code Avatar to my profile that you put on your posts. Is that only for special people on the forum or ???

Route me to another forum/thread if necessary ...

Humpa

Reaction score
Last and final ...

I would like to add a QR code Avatar to my profile that you put on your posts. Is that only for special people on the forum or ???

Route me to another forum/thread if necessary ...
Go to your profile and edit your profile pic. Use a qr code image. Here is the limits on the avatar:
"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 400 by 400 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller). "

For creating a qr code, google for an online qr code generator.

brlarue

Reaction score
QR Code creation and usage

tks again ... I found all the necessary info.

I'll move along now to threads more appropriate to my questions.

oo3

Reaction score
You can download launcher pro and hide the unused apps if you don't want to root.

C

crnmartinez

Droid Keyboard

I just got my Droid X last Tuesday. I used to have a BB Tour. I absolutely love my Droid. When I activated it, I noticed that the Keyboard had the comma and the period on the same key, which I loved. After I did the update to the 2.2 Froyo, that Keyboard went away and now I have the period on the right side and the comma on the left side. I really liked it the other way. Does anyone know how to put that back?

By the way, I am getting a new phone tomorrow. For some reason, when I text in Spanish, people are getting the words cut, for instance:
If I text someone this: "Yo me quiero ir para mi casa." people are getting this: Y? m? q?i?e? i? p?r? m? c?s?. That is very weird. Technical Support does not know why that is happening. They decided to send me a new phone.

Now, when I get the new phone, I will probably get the Keyboard I like but when I run the upgrade, that keyboard is going to go away.

Please, if anyone know how to get the keyboard that originally came with the phone, let me know.
Thank you.

crnmartinez