Droid X Reception: is it good or bad?

viper3773

Reaction score
i get a lot better reception with my Dx than my LG dare I upgraded from (and i thought my dare got better reception than my razr2!)

am able to make phone calls and txt in my friends house where before it was just a complete dead zone

pixie

Reaction score
Yep. The reception is very good with the X. I have done a few comparisons because I use the phone for internet for everybody in my whole house. It gets better coverage with both data and talk than the eris, D1 and the blackberry storm. Easily.

Using it as a WIFI hotspot is awesome.

I have the D1 and my reception sucks. In places that I never had trouble with while on my BB Tour, my D1 won't even get a signal. The dbm numbers on my hubby's BB Tour match what's on my D1, but he never has a dropped call, and I have them every single day.

I went to the VZW store today and compared my signal strength (dbm) to that of the DX's and D2's on display. The DX numbers were consistent with what I'm getting on my D1. The D2 signal showed better numbers, though not by much.

Siince my contract isn't due to be renewed until May, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get another phone. I'm just not sure whether I should get the DX or th D2. And, if I decide that I don't like the phone, can I get my money back if I request a refund within 30 days?

pixie

Reaction score
Also, for those of you using the DX as a wifi hotspot, what kind of speeds are you geting? And isn't it like $20/month to add that? Is there a limit as to the amount of bandwidth you can use/month?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I switched from a D1 to the X and tbh its worse. I would normally have 2-3 bars at home on my D1, with the X i find myself having no service at home. Prl is updated. Tried everything.

pixie

Reaction score
I switched from a D1 to the X and tbh its worse. I would normally have 2-3 bars at home on my D1, with the X i find myself having no service at home. Prl is updated. Tried everything.
Well that's not what I wanted to he. The more I read, the more I think I'm gonna have to go back to my BB. I really don't want to do that, but at the end of the day, the most important thing is that I have a phone that actually sends and receives calls, and so far, this D1 ain't it. I went to the VZW store yesterday and got some different software pushed to it. So far, I've seen no difference. They'll order me a replacement, which will probably not work, but I think I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario _ I'm back on the BB until this reception issue with Droid is addressed. I'm beginning to wonder if that will ever happen.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think it depends on your location if anyone says the x has worse reception. I live in the sticks, in the woods near lake Michigan. I definitely get an extra bar in our mobile home with the dx and get better reception in more areas of the house than I did with the d1.

Emitted from X.

Fresnel

Reaction score
I think you should ask people in your area because local differences will have varying effects on a phone's reception.

Everyone swore on the Blackberry, but I went through 6 of them trying to be able to get and make phone calls until I got the 8830. With the 8830 I was able to get some reception but could barely make calls 50% of the time. Once I had the call, I could not move or the call would drop.

With the X I haven't had a scratchy or dropped call. Every time I go to call someone the call goes through. I never have voicemail without having it ring to the X first.

I'm in California and travel between San Jose and Monterey daily.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The better reception is the only reason I kept the X and made my D1 a backup phone.

And the D1 had better reception than 2 phones I had before getting the D1. I think if u want an Android phone with decent, good, great reception, the Motorola Droid lineup is where its at. With the X being the best right now.

Last edited:

Jamb

Reaction score
I'm getting better reception with DX than I did with Saga,I think DX is much clearer during calls and a lot faster when sufing net, no doubt i made the right choice!dancedroid