Droid X or wait for Dual Core

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by 2E151, Jun 29, 2010.

1. 2E151

2E151 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a huge dilemma and I need some honest advice from the droid community. I currently have a blackberry that I can barely justify having a data plan on. I’ve wanted a real smart-phone for two years. The Droid X seems to be the best option on the table with Verizon, however I keep hearing that by the end of this year or early next we’ll see the first dual core smartphones hit the street. That’s 6 months away.

Should I wait on the dual core? Will that be the next huge leap, or am I better off biting the bullet and getting the X? I realize everything becomes outdated in acouple of months, but no one wants to get stuck on the tail end of a technology when the next great leap takes off.

2. appdaddy

appdaddy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well since I can't upgrade yet, I have no problem waiting for the dual core processors :p But the X is looking to bust some serious a$$... So, if you can't wait the X is far from a bad choice but that's imo.

3. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
    There's always going to be a new phone just around the corner , when the dual core , 800Mhz phone will be out , another one with dual core 1.4 Ghz and better architecture will be announced . Anyway the dual core phone won't be out this year for sure , maybe Q1-Q2 of 2011 . But why make a 2 yr contract if you want to change your phone when something better will be out ? You are only saving 60$ , so you get tied up for a whole year only to save 60 $ but if you want to quit earlier to get a new phone they are charging you 350$ early termination fee , that doesn't sound good to me , I prefer maximum 1 yr .

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +828
    IMO, unless some seriously intense apps come out (video editing, some flash games), an overclocked Droid is plenty fast enough.

I feel like a value-added or incremental upgrade would be faster internet, which won't be for about 2years on VZW's LTE network.

I think the X already has the processor and ram in terms of what should last for a good while, at least until your next new-every-two.

The next big leap in smartphones is probably going to be the capability to replace netbooks and low-end PC's, but the hardware is probably 6-12 months away (closer to 6, Droid Pro will probably fit the bill). Of course, that will depend on apps, which will probably be another 6-12 months behind that.

I think the X will hold you over for a good time. Not worth an incremental upgrade, for me, but the Pro will make me seriously consider a 1-yr early upgrade, but it might depend on how close LTE is at that point.

5. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go for a 1 year contract, you pay about $60 more for the phone but can move to a LTE phone next year when they are available.

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    You might want to make sure LTE is going to be in your area....

7. ewells2420

ewells2420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol @ your sig. First rule of unarmed combat LOL. You crazy ass marines.

8. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's your judgment call to make. The usual responses to every "Should I wait?" thread apply. Personally, I don't wait on anything not officially announced if I'm shopping. YMMV.

In your shoes (and as a former BB user), I'd be jumping ship right now.

Outdated really only matters when something is no longer useful to you. I know most consumers think that they have to buy whatever newer thing comes along but that's certainly not the case in all situations. I mean, take a look at the Droid's mod community, for example.

ETF's don't matter unless you're switching carriers. You can switch devices without terminating your contract.

#8 takeshi, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  9. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well if I were you I would definitely get rid of that BB and get the X. If you already had a good phone then I'd say wait. Just my opinion...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. DarkNet

DarkNet Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There will always be something better coming... dancedroid

11. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    :icon_ banana:

12. Jmart922

Jmart922 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have also thought about this as well, given that I have a free upgrade now ive decided to wait for this 2ghz phone from motorola, I just asked myself is it worth going for the droid x, or am I content with my modded droid...i went with the latter, with cyanogens version of froyo coming out in s few weeks or less, I'm excited to put new life into my Droid...plus front facing cameras are a big thing with me being a new father and not being with my little girl all the time, it'll come in handy for me and her mom

Search tags for this page

droid x phone is it dual core