Droid X or wait for Dual Core

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by 2E151, Jun 29, 2010.

1. 2E151

2E151 New Member

I'm in a huge dilemma and I need some honest advice from the droid community. I currently have a blackberry that I can barely justify having a data plan on. I’ve wanted a real smart-phone for two years. The Droid X seems to be the best option on the table with Verizon, however I keep hearing that by the end of this year or early next we’ll see the first dual core smartphones hit the street. That’s 6 months away.

Should I wait on the dual core? Will that be the next huge leap, or am I better off biting the bullet and getting the X? I realize everything becomes outdated in acouple of months, but no one wants to get stuck on the tail end of a technology when the next great leap takes off.
  2. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

Well since I can't upgrade yet, I have no problem waiting for the dual core processors :p But the X is looking to bust some serious a$$... So, if you can't wait the X is far from a bad choice but that's imo.
  3. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

There's always going to be a new phone just around the corner , when the dual core , 800Mhz phone will be out , another one with dual core 1.4 Ghz and better architecture will be announced . Anyway the dual core phone won't be out this year for sure , maybe Q1-Q2 of 2011 . But why make a 2 yr contract if you want to change your phone when something better will be out ? You are only saving 60$ , so you get tied up for a whole year only to save 60 $ but if you want to quit earlier to get a new phone they are charging you 350$ early termination fee , that doesn't sound good to me , I prefer maximum 1 yr .
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

IMO, unless some seriously intense apps come out (video editing, some flash games), an overclocked Droid is plenty fast enough.

I feel like a value-added or incremental upgrade would be faster internet, which won't be for about 2years on VZW's LTE network.

I think the X already has the processor and ram in terms of what should last for a good while, at least until your next new-every-two.

The next big leap in smartphones is probably going to be the capability to replace netbooks and low-end PC's, but the hardware is probably 6-12 months away (closer to 6, Droid Pro will probably fit the bill). Of course, that will depend on apps, which will probably be another 6-12 months behind that.

I think the X will hold you over for a good time. Not worth an incremental upgrade, for me, but the Pro will make me seriously consider a 1-yr early upgrade, but it might depend on how close LTE is at that point.
  5. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER New Member

Go for a 1 year contract, you pay about $60 more for the phone but can move to a LTE phone next year when they are available.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You might want to make sure LTE is going to be in your area....
  7. ewells2420

ewells2420 New Member

lol @ your sig. First rule of unarmed combat LOL. You crazy ass marines.
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

It's your judgment call to make. The usual responses to every "Should I wait?" thread apply. Personally, I don't wait on anything not officially announced if I'm shopping. YMMV.

In your shoes (and as a former BB user), I'd be jumping ship right now.

Outdated really only matters when something is no longer useful to you. I know most consumers think that they have to buy whatever newer thing comes along but that's certainly not the case in all situations. I mean, take a look at the Droid's mod community, for example.

ETF's don't matter unless you're switching carriers. You can switch devices without terminating your contract.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  9. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Well if I were you I would definitely get rid of that BB and get the X. If you already had a good phone then I'd say wait. Just my opinion...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. DarkNet

DarkNet New Member

There will always be something better coming... dancedroid
  11. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

:icon_ banana:
  12. Jmart922

Jmart922 New Member

I have also thought about this as well, given that I have a free upgrade now ive decided to wait for this 2ghz phone from motorola, I just asked myself is it worth going for the droid x, or am I content with my modded droid...i went with the latter, with cyanogens version of froyo coming out in s few weeks or less, I'm excited to put new life into my Droid...plus front facing cameras are a big thing with me being a new father and not being with my little girl all the time, it'll come in handy for me and her mom
  13. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

BAM!!! took the words right out of my mouth. Except i have a 4 year old and new twin girls. Other than that i share the same sentiments
  14. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

I would personally not go for the first dual-core phone that comes out. Like a car company going with a completely new engine, theres more than likely going to be some quirks that need to be worked out, I would wait until they get all the bugs out if you are gonna wait, but the current phones right now arent going to be completely outdone, unless you do intense app use.

My $0.02
  15. BWatts

BWatts New Member

I agree. Admittedly I don't use as many apps as some users, but I haven't ever said to myself "man I wish this thing were faster" while using the Droid so far. I suppose it will depend on what new stuff becomes available in terms of apps and games in the coming months.
  16. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

I'm tempted by the DroidX big time but here's my take...

Alot of people are saying go ahead and buy a phone now because if you always wait for the next best thing there will never be a good time. However, unlike the past 6-7 months the next jump in smartphone processors will be huge, with both a doubling of clock speeds and/or a doubling of cores. After they move to a dual core platform I doubt if the DroidX will look so juicy. Not only that, we all know that LTE tech is coming. I live in D.C. so i know I'm going to have it in my area. If you wait until fall you'll probably have a phone with enough a$$ to handle whatever the next OS delivers and the ability to use a 4G network. that should make your phone current and capable until the end of your contract.

There's nothing, so far, that my MotoDroid prevents me from doing for now, but if your phone is absolutely behind the curve and you can't do the small things, I recommend an upgrade. BUT... If you can hold out for 6-7 months you will be well rewarded.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  17. virtaclesmile

virtaclesmile New Member

I couldn't agree more! My modded OC'D moto droid is just as good as any 1ghz phone on the market right now IMHO, sans 4.3" screen. I can also make it look like whatever phone is out right now. I'm sticking with the droid right now, and will make a decision when the right time comes.
  18. Beardface

Beardface Member

Man... the more I see the HTC 4G EVOs that my friends are getting, the more I really want the Droid X. Those phones are SO nice, its not even funny. The screens are ridiculous, and puts the Droid's size to shame.

I am not currently rooted, and will most likely do so before even thinking of upgrading. I'll wait for Froyo as well before making any decisions, but man... But, I did just get my Droid in early February, so its not like I even have the choice to upgrade now.
  19. razorseal

razorseal New Member

I still can't decide, I just love the sexiness factor of the Droid X but it's missing couple things that I want from my next upgrade, the most important being the front facing camera and it being a world phone. I'm in the army and when I get deployed I want to take my phone with me. also I have family that live in turkey so I want to bring my phone with me over there as well... and I want the front facing camera to keep in touch with family members over there and my gf over here. I don't care so much about LTE. I'd love to have it, but right now, 3g works for me.

that being said and people always saying the should I wait thing is stupid because if you keep waiting there will be better phones come out, I say expect some features from a phone and don't make the commitment until they come out. right now the only thing with the Droid X I like is the HDMI output (which apparently only shows device captures media, so I won't even be able to use it effectively until someone roots it which will take a very long time) and the bigass screen... and I don't really care for the keyboard either

so what I say is, want some features from a phone, and if it has most of it, or better yet all of it, get it. if not keep waiting...
  20. razorseal

razorseal New Member

I'm in the same boat... I have the Droid for 8 months now and once rooted and OC'd it acts like a nexus one/incredible, so I'm not behind the power curve, but my buddy's evo is just so damn sexy! but it can pretty much do everything it can do besides front camera and 720p camera and 8mp pics...

someone really needs to develop and hack the camera to take 720p video like they did to the nexus one
Search tags for this page

droid x phone is it dual core