DROID X or HTC Thundebolt?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by EisBlade, Apr 22, 2011.

1. EisBlade

EisBlade New Member

I've owned my DX for approx. 3 weeks now. It's my first smartphone and I've enjoyed it, but have read on here how much nicer the Tbolt is - especially in regards to hacking it.

So, do I just let her upgrade to a DROID X also like she wants, or do I seize this golden opportunity to have her upgrade to the HTC Thunderbolt and then swap phones with her afterwards? I'm leaning towards the swap but am holding off til some replies roll in here.

Also, does the HTC Tbolt also use a microSD card like the DROID X does? I ask because I purchased a 32Gb for the Dx. Thanks!!!
  2. cpjr

cpjr New Member

TB fo sho. And it comes with a 32gb card pre-installed.
  3. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

The tbolt comes with a 32GB sd card but if you bought a class 6 or higher I would still switch the sd cards.

The tbolt is amazing. I love mine its fast and so smooth. I can't wait to root it but I always hold off for at least a month. Just be forewarned that the bolt might have some problems with battery life. And 4g if you live in a 4g area wil suck battery like there is no tomorrow but you can turn it off if you need to. Even though the tbolt is older technology the dev support is there and also the Droid x is going End of Life soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

TB is a better phone, but 4 hours of battery time blows.
  5. cpjr

cpjr New Member

That would blow.

Fortunately the TB gets much better battery life than that. I get 12-15+ hours on the stock battery.
  6. OnMy2ndGP

OnMy2ndGP New Member

I have a DX.....Tbolt FTW!

DX Rooted Deodexed GB w/ Ginercomb via DF app
  7. SquireSCA

That's great, but many don't. If we turn the screen brightness down to 20%, disable 4G, turn off automatic synch and some other tweaks, we can get decent battery life out of it.

Of course that defeats the purpose. That's like buying a new Corvette and the only way to get it to run is to yank 4 of the spark plug wires so that it is running at half power.

That's not a "fix" IMHO...
  8. Technoman

Technoman New Member

I just don't get why anyone would think that the TBolt is an upgrade. Sure it has 4g, but same processor. Sure it has a front facing camera, but that isn't that big of a deal. It does not have HDMI out, no home dock, no dedicated car dock. My X is not that far from the TBolt, and I am saving my upgrade for a dual core processor that has front facing camera, 4G, and HDMI out! Without those features my X kicks butt as it sits with the leaked GB!
  9. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Im rooted, running a custom ROM and OVERCLOCKED to 1.5ghz.

Now, with that said, I have brightness set to AUTO, 4G ON (which I actually get service on about 50% of the time), GPS and WiFi ON, etc, etc,......

And get over 12 hours on a charge. And the phone gets USED....I run 2 companies and its my personal and business phone.

Guess Im just lucky.

PS- To each his own, I had an X....and IMHO the TB blows it away.
  10. X_TAC23

X_TAC23 DF Super Moderator

Its all what you would like. Everyone has different opinions and the tb is new you may get it and realize its not for you. You still have the 15 day return policy.

Just make sure you use your upgrade wisely because the tb is the first 4g device for Verizon. There will be many more to come, bigger, better and faster!!
  11. droidshot®

droidshot® New Member

I would wait for the DX-2 or Charge bro. My brother went from the Droid -2 to the Thunderbolt and didn't like it.It takes great pictures and videos but things like texting and we don't have 4g yet are just some of the things he didn't like. He went to the X, which EOD was in February, and is loving it.I have the D-1 and still love it, so I'm waiting for something really great! :)
  12. SquireSCA

The TB is faster, and the 4G speeds are 18x as fast.

VZW 3G is horrible, it is like 56k dial-up. My girlfriend averages 22mbit down, and 30mbit up on her TB while I struggle to break 1Mbit with 5 bars. It's faster than my cable modem...
  13. SquireSCA

Dunno. There are too many people complaining about horrendous battery life for it to be an isolated incident. She charges it all night, leaves for work and the stupid thing is down to 20% by 10am half the time.

Only by turning the screen way down and disabling everything is she able to get anything decent out of it.
  14. andylulzyou

andylulzyou New Member

Thunderbolt Thunderbolt Thunderbolt.

Most of the DX devs left for the Thunderbolt.. everything about the hardware is better. It has a better screen. 4G.

It's a no brainer especailly since it has a huge development community
  15. shneeko6

shneeko6 New Member

Lol did someone really mention the charge? Its completely overpriced and the specs arent mind blowing. I would def take the tbolt over the charge, especially considering that you can get a tbolt on a upgrade for pretty cheap now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  16. ScottyDsntKnow

ScottyDsntKnow New Member

I'd say neither I actually jumped ship to the Galaxy S phone awhile ago. I have an Epic 4G hacked onto boost and when boost decided to get stupid the other day and suspend my service even when I was on autopay, I had to bring the DX back out (service not cancelled for another few weeks due to wife's line about to go off contract). Even upgraded to leaked GB I wanted to kill myself when using it. Only redeeming feature is the cardock and the carhome app that auto opens. HDMI out is a gimmick, not a reason to keep the DX IMO. Bootloader is locked, screen is junk espeically compared to a SAMOLED (Watch a movie on a Galaxy next to the DX and you'll probably want to return the DX right away)...

If you've only had the phone for 3 weeks then I would seriously return it, you are still within 30 days. Get the Tbolt if you must but also realize that its just an Evo with LTE instead of Wimax basically. Old tech and we are going to start seeing some ridiculousness as far as phones go within the next year. Another reason I got my wife and I onto boost flashed Epics... no contract so when someting totally insane comes out I can be first in line on whatever carrier. So yes I would get neither. Depending on what your old phone was you might just want to keep it or find a newer used smartphone in good shape to tide you over until there are a few more 4G offerings with newer tech. Bionic maybe?
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  17. qman66

qman66 New Member

is she running a custom rom? is she running a custom kernel? that has a lot to do with improving battery life. me, im very close to getting a tb. really excited about the dev support for it and 4g. i know ill be able to figure out the battery problem somehow. so im not worried about that. the reason i have yet to upgrade is the fact that tb is running froyo and i would hate to go back to froyo now that i am on gb and love it. waiting a gb custom rom or cm7 hopefully and planning to purchase soon.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  18. EisBlade

EisBlade New Member

Nice. I appreciate all this feedback. I plan on swinging by a VZW storefront this weekend to check out the TB firsthand. When I walked in initially I was interested in the TB, but the clerk sold me on the DX. It has me wondering whether or not VZW has a higher profit margin pushing the DX's out. If it's nearing 'end of life' then selling as much aging technology as they can before its replaced by newer/faster makes sense as the old will become more and more difficult to sell over time.

The huge difference of battery life received with the TB is interesting. My DX is set to a brightness of 60% and, after a week of diving into the market and adding apps galore (that probably drained batt. life immensely) have removed most of them to regain some sensibility to what I use this phone for.

I would like to get PDAnet successfully connected to the laptop, but that's probably another thread.

Thanks again, everyone. :greendroid:
  19. andylulzyou

andylulzyou New Member

I'm sorry but this should not even be a question. There isn't one thing that the DX does that is better than the Thunderbolt.. and I love my DX
  20. barski

barski New Member

I would wait for a better phone. The single core processor is going to be out of date in the next 2 months. Also i don't see much of a difference spec wise from the TBolt to the Droid X. I think HTC made the thunderbolt more as a race phone, first to the market with 4G. I guess if waiting isnt an option try the Thunderbolt, you can always take it back and exchange for the droid X.
Search tags for this page

droid bionic on boost mobile

htc thunderbolt boost mobile