Droid X or Droid 2!?

Reaction score
i want a droid x super bad, but if the droid pro or whatever is gonna be a 4.3" beast then it'll make the wait a little easier..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Go with the cheaper Droid on a 1-yr contract...That way, you'll be able to upgrade in 12 months to a much more powerful, LTE-capable phone!

Outside of better battery life, I'm not sure what the gain is on an X or D2 vs. the original Droid rooted. More ram is nice, but doesn't seem to be an issue for most.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
but that 2ghz pro likely will be surpassed by something else when it's time for me.
:)

To do what, exactly? That is SERIOUS power that I don't see being obsolete any time soon. Consider my old laptop which was mid-high tier in 2007 had a 1.8ghz processor with 2gig of ram. And for most uses it was still more than adequate. Unless my phone actually becomes my core computer hub, I don't know why I'd need more power.

I can't really imagine what apps/functions would come out in the next 2-3 years that you would use on a 4.3" screen that would seriously push the limits.

Only thing I can see significant advances on is the LTE and perhaps battery life, well and maybe speakerphone. Don't think any of that would have you rushing out to upgrade, though.

Jmart922

Reaction score
The droid 1 for sure, if I had choose one or the other, then the droid x because the droid 2 seems too similar in design, unless its more capable then the X performance wise, I wouldnt really consider it...I've decided to hold on to my droid til the htc scorpion comes out for verizon, if the rumors are to be true, but then again this 2ghz moto phone might be all that and a bag of chips

Last edited:

Mclovin93

Reaction score
yea I would stay with Droid 1 jsut because of all the new phones that are going to come out. Like other people said by the time you have your upgrade, there are many more phones.

C3PIO

Reaction score
yea I would stay with Droid 1 jsut because of all the new phones that are going to come out. Like other people said by the time you have your upgrade, there are many more phones.

Same here and keeping myself away from encrypted boots and moto blur interfaces I love the freedom of my pure android stock droid and dont trade all the fun Ive had installing and testing roms since I had my droid, I still have 16 months to go for my upgrade and by this time we are going to be talking of who knows what new devices and technology .

Mclovin93

Reaction score

Same here and keeping myself away from encrypted boots and moto blur interfaces I love the freedom of my pure android stock droid and dont trade all the fun Ive had installing and testing roms since I had my droid, I still have 16 months to go for my upgrade and by this time we are going to be talking of who knows what new devices and technology .

Yea totally. There could be phones that probably do anything. I can't even think of the next phone. This world has already topped everything.

OP
J

jferrato7

Reaction score
Droid 1...

I think you guys are right...Im thinking Im gonna stick with the Droid 1 as long as Devs keep making these awesome ROMS. And after hearing about that Mysterious Droid Pro (which hopefully becomes more than a rumor) I think Im gonna wait till the Holiday phones make their arrival just in time for my early upgrade after a year with my droid. I really want a front facing camera...after playing with the XXXXXX (not gonna even say the name) I really like the idea and cant wait to see a Droid with those capabilities! Looks like ill be holding out for a few more months!!!!

dirtytofu

Reaction score
I am looking to hop on the smartphone bandwagon and was trying to decide between the D1, DX, or the DI.

I would love to wait for the D2 since I would like to have a physical keyboard, but the rumors of VZW's tiered data plan roll out on Jul. 29 have scared me into getting a phone now.

So if I don't own any of these smartphones right now which would be a good option?

I am experienced would Android/Linux so rooting and custom ROMs would not scare me away.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking to hop on the smartphone bandwagon and was trying to decide between the D1, DX, or the DI.

I would love to wait for the D2 since I would like to have a physical keyboard, but the rumors of VZW's tiered data plan roll out on Jul. 29 have scared me into getting a phone now.

So if I don't own any of these smartphones right now which would be a good option?

I am experienced would Android/Linux so rooting and custom ROMs would not scare me away.

while the rooters would probably encourage you to get the D1 (and i can't say they're wrong, since i don't root), my thought would be to go with the X, since the D1 is being discontinued. the posts say that root was achieved on the X today. so, there's some indication that you may be able to run custom roms on the X eventually, and it's a phone that will continue to be supported by VZW (at least for another 6-8 months, until the Droid Pro comes out). :) and, the X seems to be a pretty smokin' phone...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Kinda random but why do they keep switching up the 4 buttons at the bottom (menu, back, home, search)? I understand some of the brands doing it differently, but both the X and 2 have a different setup than the original Droid. HTC's Inc is different. I think the Evo is different as well. Samsung's are probably different too. Kinda frustrating, if you go to a phone, after a year or so of "back, menu, home, search" to go to "home, back, menu, search" or something along those lines.

Not to go off topic too much, I personally probably would stick with the original Droid. I am not a big fan of the Motoblur interface, although I haven't used it a whole lot. I mean if I were to get one for free or really cheap though I don't think I would complain too much though.

Personally I am waiting it out to see what comes out around the holidays to the first of the year time frame. If by that time nothing else has came out, or is coming out soon, and I feel the need to upgrade (which is bound to happen) I may get one of the already out phones. Maybe Gingerbread or LTE will have something out by then.