Droid X on 2.2 going to 1x often

jm71

Reaction score
I would encourage those of you having this problem to please call Motorola's tech support 1-800-734-5870 (this is for their Android supported phones)

See if you can get elevated support and see if you get a consistent answer to what i got earlier. Hopefully we all get the same response (that they are indeed aware of a Droid X 3g/1x problem) and that they are indeed working on a software fix.

Jamb

Reaction score
Makes me laugh, Verizon can't give 3 G coverage to it's customers and now they want to sell 4G phones what a crock!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

donballz

Reaction score
Yeah my phones 3g sucks ass. It did before froyo though.

Technoman

Reaction score
Makes me laugh, Verizon can't give 3 G coverage to it's customers and now they want to sell 4G phones what a crock!

If you read the OP, it states that SINCE 2.2 his 3g keeps dropping to 1x. That wouldn't be Verizon, but more of an indication of a problem with the 2.2 update from Motorola.

I agree, my phone is dropping to 1x much more with the 2.2 update in places where it was fine with 2.1. This is a glitch that needs to be fixed with our 2.2 froyo update.

Aohus

Reaction score
i can confirm too, that its going to 1X quite frequently post 2.2 update.

did not have much of an issue on 2.1. was the 3g radio updated for the droidx froyo? i didn't think so, but they could have.

searayman

Reaction score
there could be a lot of interferences especially in a cell store. i get it from time to time in a hospital. have full bars on signal but my 3g would go to 1x randomly. if i go outside everything is fine.

Figured as much with my Droid, seeing as i have a TV, computer and stereo in the house, so when i want a good 3G connection on my Droid, i just go sit on the roof and make sure im looking at the southern sky.

Seriously, this is a pretty annoying issue that Motorola just isnt acknowledging. Ive had other smart phones and have never had this many 3G-1X drops. When it happens, im testing DL speeds and getting anywhere from 100k to 200k, whereas when i actually have a 3G connection, it's in the 1M to 1.5M range. Pretty friggin annoying paying 30 bucks a month for 70% service. Fix this garbage Motorola!
The reason it isn't being acknowledged is pretty simple. Most people aren't having this issue.

If there was some miracle way for me to get everyone who is getting a 3G signal consistently on the Droid, and I don't care which one were talking about, this board would be overwhelmed. It depends on the area you are in. Heck I even have a dead spot in my house. It happens to be on my easy chair. I use to get 1x every time I sat down there. I have the Droid 2 now and I get a 3G signal there.

Go figure. I'll bet if you go to the Verizon store they will give you another X and you'll still have the issue.

Actually a ton of people are having this problem and verizon sent me a private message telling me to call a certain number for help, but I have not had time to call them yet

OP
I

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
there could be a lot of interferences especially in a cell store. i get it from time to time in a hospital. have full bars on signal but my 3g would go to 1x randomly. if i go outside everything is fine.

Figured as much with my Droid, seeing as i have a TV, computer and stereo in the house, so when i want a good 3G connection on my Droid, i just go sit on the roof and make sure im looking at the southern sky.

Seriously, this is a pretty annoying issue that Motorola just isnt acknowledging. Ive had other smart phones and have never had this many 3G-1X drops. When it happens, im testing DL speeds and getting anywhere from 100k to 200k, whereas when i actually have a 3G connection, it's in the 1M to 1.5M range. Pretty friggin annoying paying 30 bucks a month for 70% service. Fix this garbage Motorola!
The reason it isn't being acknowledged is pretty simple. Most people aren't having this issue.

If there was some miracle way for me to get everyone who is getting a 3G signal consistently on the Droid, and I don't care which one were talking about, this board would be overwhelmed. It depends on the area you are in. Heck I even have a dead spot in my house. It happens to be on my easy chair. I use to get 1x every time I sat down there. I have the Droid 2 now and I get a 3G signal there.

Go figure. I'll bet if you go to the Verizon store they will give you another X and you'll still have the issue.

i don't think you are really allowing yourself to understand the issue. give it another try.

this is not about legitimate dead spots. try reading.

Technoman

Reaction score
i don't think you are really allowing yourself to understand the issue. give it another try.

this is not about legitimate dead spots. try reading.

Not a cool response. Hook was just stating what he has "not" seen people posting to date. This doesn't mean he doesn't believe anyone.

Why do people have to make such nasty sounding remarks?

Especially to someone that is here to help others?

Droids

Reaction score
My Droid 1 see 1x a bit more often since going with "stock but rooted 2.2". In areas that were a bit weak with 2.1. It's almost like the icon is just being more realistic about the service level, because in these iffy areas, web browsing was slow with 2.1 even when it stated 3G, and now it shows 1x. I'm not sure yet if the actual service is slower with 2.2, or if it's just more accurately reported. It does feel slower though, but in very limited areas. In the big picture I'm not seeing any night and day difference.

OP
I

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
really bad today. on major highways in northern jersey like 1 & 9 and on route 3 where I usually have great 3G (I check traffic often) i was stuck in 1x for ages once, short spurts other times, and then near the holland tunnel the entire ride back to jersey city i was in 1x.

it is really the phone. both my business partner and i have droid x's. one of ours can be on 1x while the one next to it is on 3g.

kjbristow

Reaction score
My Droid X drops to 1X sometimes also... switching to airplane mode then switching back seems to fix it for me. Kinda annoying, but it works until the real issue is fixed.

csimo

Reaction score
I recently switched from a Droid 1 to a X. I very seldom, or ever saw my original droid drop 3G, but the X does it regularly even in strong signal areas.

I've tried the *22899 and it doesn't fix it. When I reboot it picks up 3G again.

I've only had the phone a week and it came with 2.2 on it so I no experience with it pre-2.2.

-Joe

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone does this also after Froyo update. I live within a mile of a tower and I can see it from my house.

justdan23

Reaction score
Fixing DROID when switching between 3G and 1X constantly

:motdroidvert: I talked with Verizon Technical Support and it seems whenever you update your phone with a patch to the Android Operating System, you may need to update your phone's configuration with updated satellite settings by dialing *228 with your phone.

Although the message says something about setting up your phone, your data is preserved. I've done this many times and it immediately fixes the problem when it was switching between 3G and 1X frequently and failing to load web pages fast.

After the *228, the problem goes away and performance is back to fast loads and no incomplete pages or flash videos!dancedroid
Dan

both of our phones are going to 1x quite often even though we are in northern nj areas where we have seen excellent 3g signal.

anybody else experiencing this?

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
I came from a droid 1 which never dropped 3g to an X that constantly does....my fiance is sitting right next to me with my old phone,with perfect 3G,im dropping to 1x.......same with the satelite ,old phone is great-droid x forget it....only gets gps in ideal conditions......