Droid X on 2.2 going to 1x often

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
both of our phones are going to 1x quite often even though we are in northern nj areas where we have seen excellent 3g signal.

anybody else experiencing this?

oo3

Reaction score
That's happening to me too over here on the west coast in Portland. Very annoying.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
all depends where you're and what you're doing. you can't have 3g 24/7 anywhere and anytime. it's impossible.

OP
I

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
all depends where you're and what you're doing. you can't have 3g 24/7 anywhere and anytime. it's impossible.

that we understand. we are talking on major highways here in north jersey where one time we have full 3g the next time we have 1x.

signal bars mean nothing, as when the phone status shows it at -65dbm i can have one signal bar showing, but then with -90dbm we show full bars.

i have never seen a phone act like this before. even with t-mobile who sucked, signal was consistent everywhere. in other words if we had solid 3g here, i would never see edge on the phone and vice versa. of course in fringe areas there would be flipping, but not in solid areas.

this is wack.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
does it always happen in that one particular spot or was it a one time incident?

OP
I

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
does it always happen in that one particular spot or was it a one time incident?

it's pretty random. that's why it is of concern.

i know the verizon network is better than sprint, it's something with these motorola droids. the droid 2 was worse, the verizon store was very aware of these issues. in fact our droid 2's went onto 1x in a verizon store and they just kinda nodded and said yep, we know.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
there could be a lot of interferences especially in a cell store. i get it from time to time in a hospital. have full bars on signal but my 3g would go to 1x randomly. if i go outside everything is fine.

jm71

Reaction score
there could be a lot of interferences especially in a cell store. i get it from time to time in a hospital. have full bars on signal but my 3g would go to 1x randomly. if i go outside everything is fine.

Figured as much with my Droid, seeing as i have a TV, computer and stereo in the house, so when i want a good 3G connection on my Droid, i just go sit on the roof and make sure im looking at the southern sky.

Seriously, this is a pretty annoying issue that Motorola just isnt acknowledging. Ive had other smart phones and have never had this many 3G-1X drops. When it happens, im testing DL speeds and getting anywhere from 100k to 200k, whereas when i actually have a 3G connection, it's in the 1M to 1.5M range. Pretty friggin annoying paying 30 bucks a month for 70% service. Fix this garbage Motorola!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Figured as much with my Droid, seeing as i have a TV, computer and stereo in the house, so when i want a good 3G connection on my Droid, i just go sit on the roof and make sure im looking at the southern sky.

Seriously, this is a pretty annoying issue that Motorola just isnt acknowledging. Ive had other smart phones and have never had this many 3G-1X drops. When it happens, im testing DL speeds and getting anywhere from 100k to 200k, whereas when i actually have a 3G connection, it's in the 1M to 1.5M range. Pretty friggin annoying paying 30 bucks a month for 70% service. Fix this garbage Motorola!
The reason it isn't being acknowledged is pretty simple. Most people aren't having this issue.

If there was some miracle way for me to get everyone who is getting a 3G signal consistently on the Droid, and I don't care which one were talking about, this board would be overwhelmed. It depends on the area you are in. Heck I even have a dead spot in my house. It happens to be on my easy chair. I use to get 1x every time I sat down there. I have the Droid 2 now and I get a 3G signal there.

Go figure. I'll bet if you go to the Verizon store they will give you another X and you'll still have the issue.

BrendonSF

Reaction score
I have noticed this issue as well. I definitely see 1x more often now that I'm on 2.2. I also see the service com.motorola.home frequently activating the GPS for no apparent reason.

michelle4439

Reaction score
I am having worse service since I did the 2.2 update as well. I started a thread last week but got no response. It is happeining in places that I had no problem in before. Is is very frustrating. I am also having more dropped calls.

Jon K

Reaction score
Does this prevent you from doing anything? I dunno, I live in semi rural bucks county PA - no issues.

jm71

Reaction score
Dont worry, we arent the only ones complaining about this. A quick google search got me these pages, to list a few

I did get through to Motorola tech support and i was moved up to a higher level than the basic tech support, and the woman i talked to said that they were aware of this issue and are currently working on a fix that they hope to have out by early October. I asked her what the issue was, but she didnt seem to know *shrug*. Will give it a few weeks to see if there's any kind of software update like she claims, and will probably call again and get more info this time. Im not sure whether to call BS on this or what. It almost felt like she was just trying to get me off the phone since id been with a low level tech guy for a half hour before being moved up. In any case, it'd be pretty low of her to tell me this if it werent true, and definitely a bad mark on Motorola's name, so let's just keep our fingers crossed that they really ARE fixing this

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/36262?start=0&tstart=0

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-support-troubleshooting/164565-3g-signal-droppi ng-constantly-help.html#post1511790

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/VERIZON-needs-to-come-clean-abou t-3G-coverage/m-p/238985/highlight/true#M3675

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/3g-Radio-Issues/td-p/270195

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Problems-Day-1-are-you-serious-D roid-X/m-p/226457/highlight/true#M864

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/3g-problems-anyone/m-p/226408/hi ghlight/true#M836

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Time-for-a-VZW-executive-to-step -up-and-explain/m-p/229703/highlight/true#M2175