Droid X not very smooth?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Cole119, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Cole119

Cole119 New Member

I read in Engadget's hands-on first impressions that the Droid X gets choppy sometimes, and I just read in this review that it feels slow too: Motorola Droid X review: bigger, badder, better | ZDNet.

In that review they say that they think the processor is partially to blame; I thought that the OMAP was supposed to be more powerful than the Snapdragon, so why is it choppy? I was planning on returning my Incredible for this phone when it came out but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Anyone know why it isn't performing as well as it should? Do you think it has something to do with all of the widgets on the homescreen by default and the live wallpaper?

Edit:
    Here's a list of reviews mentioning sluggishness so far:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-droid-x-verizon/4505-6452_7-34122129-2.html?tag=txt;page
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/motorola-droid-x-review-bigger-badder-better/15890
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/560080/review/droid_x.html?tk=hp_rev
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365630,00.asp
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

OK. Not to start a flame war or anything else but considering the source I would take it with a grain of salt. I go to Engadget / Gizmodo for product announcements only. Their reviews of anything that isn't "THE IN THING" always tend to be very skewed or biased in my opinion. I would go check other mobile review sites before jumping off any bridges.
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

And if this degrades into anything other than a discussion it will be closed.
  4. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Total buzzkill. :icon_ devil:

Just kidding.

I prefer to decide with one of my own. But we shall see.
  5. Johnly

Johnly Guest

I will take my own word for it, Engadget has on a few occasions had a false perspective, especially if it isn't apple : ) The X will be smooth, and fast, I can assure you that......
  6. Cole119

Cole119 New Member

Yeah, I was gonna wait for a more reviews to come in, I'm just on a strict timeline lol. I only have till the 27th to decide, so I want to find out the cause of this problem so I can know if it will ever be remediable :D.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The source of your posted article is the problem :)
  8. kamileon

kamileon New Member

Phil over at android central did a video of the DX and from what it looks like it seems to be very smooth. He did alot of jumping around in the phone and it took it all and smiled back asking for more. Looked pretty smooth and snappy IMO.
  9. Mule65

Mule65 Member

I would think Froyo would eliminate any sort of lag and some widget management may be helpful for the znet phone. No worries. I do wish it didn't have Motoblur.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  10. VegaLA

VegaLA New Member

I worried about that review too, but when I saw the video that accompanied it, the UI looked very smooth indeed, I couldn't see where the problem was.
    Still, something to keep an eye on just in case.
  11. kamileon

kamileon New Member

Officially Moto, VZW and Google are saying it is not Motoblur, just a skin that looks like blur.
  12. jackpfree

jackpfree New Member

even if the motoblur skin is causing the lag, you can always just not use it an opt for a home screen replacement app.
  13. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Yea, I think I'd get LauncherPro on that thing ASAP.
  14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I also read somewhere that the review units don't have the final software on them too. But when it finally launches we'll see...

And looking at all the videos that's out it looks smooth to me too...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. SergeantDroid

SergeantDroid New Member

I read the article. They did say it seemed slow. But, the only time they said it actually lagged, was when they unlocked the phone at the lock screen. My Droid does that but no big deal.
  16. Cole119

Cole119 New Member

I've watched a few videos too, but I have noticed what looked like lag when scrolling through the launcher or flipping through homescreens really fast. Those are really the only times I've seen it not run smooth, but that makes me worry about the other parts of the phone, like browsing the internet or touch responsiveness. BTW, I've updated the OP with links to more reviews mentioning the slowdowns.
  17. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

The choppiness is most likely the motoblur and the widgets. I think with a little customizing it can be cleared up. Also with Froyo, these quirks might disappear as well.
  18. Guchi

Guchi New Member

weird how moto blur is getting blamed for choppiness but sense on the other hand was alleged to have caused smoothness... hmmm
  19. jackpfree

jackpfree New Member

to be fair, the software they are running on the phones is not the final version as others have pointed out. Just gotta wait and see.
  20. jrodizkool01

jrodizkool01 New Member

Droid X isnt smooth especially on the homescreen. Swiping from one page to another look jagged and it has nothing to do with Engadget's interest in Apple products. Homescreens have never been the strongpoint in Android because with every phone I've seen that has had the stock Android launcher is a little choppy. The Droid X looks to be quick when entering an app but Google/Motorola needs to find a way to make the menus flow better. User shouldn't have to look for a homescreen alternative just to have the responsiveness that should have been in the origial launcher.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
Search tags for this page

droid x not smooth

droid x smoothness
lag droid x